Pulpit Launch Assistance Techniques

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Spark

Pulpit Launch Assistance Techniques

Post by Spark »

kcarra wrote:After cringing at many exciting PG launches at the Pulpit in the past year I probably had the most exciting one ever on Sunday. It had the potential to be very dangerous. I?m very lucky and amazed that I (finally) got off safely. This is what happened to the best of my recollection. I?m welcome to any corrections or comments.
Karen,

I was sooo very relieved that you regained control and flew away ...

I have anchored PG pilots doing reverse launches at Pulpit many times as a safety precaution, in case they get lifted off their feet. I will release the pilot as they complete their turn into the wind and stay available to push them forward if needed ... but if a pilot is lifted off his/her feet, I will not release them, and will either wait until they come back down, or I have turned them around myself (since their feet are off the ground and they cannot do so themselves) in cases when they have not chosen to abort and collapse the wing immediately.

Note that I have not turned the pilot to face forward or released them until I was certain that:
- the wing was stable over their head
- they seemed to have good control
- we were far enough forward on the launch; and
- I didn't think they would have a penetration problem.
THEN I have turned them to face the wind.

Pretty subjective stuff to be doing for someone else. A whole lot different than a HG wire launch where someone says clear and everyone releases.

I can think of one time when I released against my will, and that was during the Pulpit Fly in when I anchored Matthew and we were both lifted off the ground. That was very ugly at first, then immediately 'funny' when Chris tackled Matthew behind the old ramp and 'spooned' him. Frankly, the humor was really just a nervous reaction. That scared me.

I would not choose to assist someone launch in winds like that again ...

I have had drifted back behind the old ramp one time during a NNW crosswind launch in about 14mph - Fortunately, I was able to land behind the ramp and collapse the wing. Needless to say, I would never choose to launch in conditions like that again.

Usually, if winds are more than 10 at Pulpit, I like to place my speedbar in front of my legs so it is immediately available in case of an unexpected penetration problem. That aspect of PG (i.e. not being able to 'stuff the bar for airspeed) is a distinct disadvantage.

This whole business of assisting a launch at Pulpit deserves more discussion.
'Spark
Marcel Dettling

Post by Marcel Dettling »

I have a strong opinion on launching with an anchor person: it's bullshit. Neither will I ever act as an anchor, nor will I ever launch with one. The trick for inflating a PG in strong winds is to take a few steps towards the rising canopy, to take some energy out of it. Also, if the wing doesn't come up straight, you need to be able to move quickly, so that you can balance the wing.

Conversely, if using an anchor in strong winds, it's highly likely that the rising wing builds way too much energy, because the anchor prevents you from going towards the wing. If this energy is not controlled, it will lead to a surge, which is inherently dangerous. Also, stopping an overshooting wing with the brakes is not the right thing. It will produce lift and lift you off the ground, potentially even with an anchor. Moreover, your abilities to gain control over the wing sideways are very limited with an anchor.

That's my opinion, but there's certainly no right or wrong. I don't care what other pilots choose to do. Every pilot acts in his/her own responsibility and should choose the launch procedure that he/she finds most appropriate.

Cheers,

Marcel
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

I think a more polite way to put it is simply a pilot shouldn't consider launching in conditions where they cannot reasonably control the glider by themselves. I agree in principal with this notion--but there are exceptions to this occassionally.

FYI, I believe its still part of the training curriculum in the US to be familiar with when and how to perform assisted launches.

marc
Great Googly-moo!
Spark

Post by Spark »

Marcel Dettling wrote:I have a strong opinion on launching with an anchor person: it's bullshit. Neither will I ever act as an anchor, nor will I ever launch with one. ...

Marcel
Marcel,

Thanks for sharing a valued and valid perspective.

Pilots have offered to anchor me when I was learning so I have allowed it and I have likewise offered and assisted pilots who have asked for an anchor. The first time was at Jean ridge, Nevada in the '80s - a guy named "Bouchard ... Until today, I had never heard an argument against it.

Having said that, I have certainly experienced the problems that Marcel discusses and can understand his decision to avoid it.

It is not difficult to envision scenarios where an anchor person could inadvertantly interfere with or cause problems that would compromise a successful launch.

I think Marc captured the basic principle: Select launch conditions that don't require launch assistance. It is not quite the same in the HG world ;-)

Marc, you suggested that there may be cases where an anchor person is warranted. Do any specific examples come to mind?
'Spark
Matthew

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

They do assisted launches at Point of the Mountain in strong winds. Both pilot and assister are pulled backward by the canopy and then the assister pulls the pilot forward to the edge of the hill as the pilot trudges along barely ablve to walk foward. The assister then gives the pilot a push to get into the air.

But it's a big unobstructed flat area at POTM.

Matthew
Marcel Dettling

Sorry if my answer was rude, it wasn't meant to be so. If it was offensive, it was more of a language problem, sorry again. I concur with what Marc said, don't launch if you feel you cannot control the glider by yourself.

To Matthew's observation at the POTM. As he said, launching there doesn't compare to the Pulpit. However, there is one additional point. It may be true that a well trained anchor-pilot couple may make a successful combination. However, I wouldn't want to practice assisted launches at a site like the Pulpit.

Cheers,

Marcel
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

I think there is a subtle difference between canopy assist and providing an anchor.

In Karen's case, my intent was to help her control the canopy so that she could get it up straight without yawing or getting pulled to the side. This was accomplished and she was in good position with the canopy straight over head. It was not my intent--nor is it advisable--to remain anchored to the pilot and thereby prevent her from getting airborn, whether reversed or straight forward. The arguement could justifiably be made that if she couldn't confidently do that on her own than perhaps she shouldn't even been on launch to begin with. But the data is still be gathered on the characteristics of the launch (and the reason I offered my impressions, liked or not). I think her experience was a clear example of the significant "compression gradient" that exists higher up the slope in what otherwise seemed to be moderate conditions.

Stepping towards the glider while pulling up in strong conditions is one method to unload the glider while pulling it up--another is to start in a crouching position so that you can straighten up to provide another means to unload the glider. Crouching can also give you a better "is the glider really straight overhead" perspective, especially on slopes where it may in fact not be.

Personally, I train my students to reverse with double A's and C's in higher winds and think that any pilot with a modern 4 riser glider should be required to master this technique before contemplating any reverse in winds of over 10 mph or so. Unfortunately, my present glider, the Apco Lambada, does not have this arrangement and is probably one of the few modern designs out there that does not. If it were not for the fact the glider more than makes up for this with outstanding performance and stability once in the air I would ditch it as not being worth the extra hassle on launch.

But on the majority of new designs, grasping the C's will effectively depower the lifting capability of the wing while preventing drag-back or drogue potential. Additionally, you can gain some directional control within a narrow range without having to use the brakes--which tend to "power" the wing's lifting ability and increase the probability of getting lofted or dragged back. Flying the Pulpit launch, in the present configuration, in anything over 10 mph winds is otherwise a toss of the dice IMO (unless you're a Mickey-class master :lol: ).

marc
Great Googly-moo!
Marcel Dettling

Flying Lobster wrote:But on the majority of new designs, grasping the C's will effectively depower the lifting capability of the wing while preventing drag-back or drogue potential. ... Flying the Pulpit launch, in the present configuration, in anything over 10 mph winds is otherwise a toss of the dice IMO (unless you're a Mickey-class master :lol:
I don't think that's true in such full generality, it's wing dependent. On my old (DHV1) wing, I could easily stop the surge with the brakes and it didn't lift me off. That's a big ease in take-off handling, but of course the wing will feel less dynamic in the air, too.

It's a wholly different story with the new wing, though.

Cheers,

Marcel
Matthew

Riser Lock

Post by Matthew »

I think we all pretty much agree that using an anchor at the Pulpit is a dicey move and I know that I won't be doing it anymore. But the other consideration is risers locking together when doing a reverse. This has happened to me at POTM on an unassited launch and I've seen it happen at other sites. Is there any way to prevent it and what is the best way to untwist the risers without letting the glider go into a turn?

Matthew
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

I've done a couple of launches twisted backward--but at a restricted launch with objects to either side of your launch path it can be risky.

Might be a good idea to go to a training hill and get comfortable with launching and steering backwards if you are concerned about getting lofted (a definite possibility for those with a penchant for flying the big winds). Most of the time, it actually takes some effort to keep the risers twisted unless your body position locks the risers or something is inadvertantly caught.

Of course, you need to be sure that the canopy is safe in this configuration. Consult your dealer/manufacturer first.

marc
Great Googly-moo!
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

Marcel Dettling wrote:
Flying Lobster wrote:But on the majority of new designs, grasping the C's will effectively depower the lifting capability of the wing while preventing drag-back or drogue potential. ... Flying the Pulpit launch, in the present configuration, in anything over 10 mph winds is otherwise a toss of the dice IMO (unless you're a Mickey-class master :lol:
I don't think that's true in such full generality, it's wing dependent. On my old (DHV1) wing, I could easily stop the surge with the brakes and it didn't lift me off. That's a big ease in take-off handling, but of course the wing will feel less dynamic in the air, too.

It's a wholly different story with the new wing, though.

Cheers,

Marcel
My apologies for not being clearer. When I said "most newer designs" what I actually meant was "most newer designs." :lol:

marc
Great Googly-moo!
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

Oh--I forgot to mention--you can never get too much kiting practice and being good at kiting certainly helps your control on launch. I need more myself!

marc
Great Googly-moo!
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

Does harness chest strap tension affect the proclivity of the risers to lock?

My initial thoughts on assisted launches at PULPIT:

The margin between soarable and strong is narrow. If pilots want to soar in ridge lift, they will have to launch in marginal conditions. The launch is restricted. A spotter (Spark's term, as opposed to an anchor) on launch with pilot adds an additional element of safety: Spotter can give a forward push if a pilot is parked, turn a pilot around if they've gotten lifted in reverse position, stop pilot from getting dragged back or sideways into obstacles, etc.

The spotter adds additional complexity to launching. Pilot must communicate clearly to spotter that to expect: I will inflate on the count of three, I will turn to my right, that's this side. I expect you to....

If the spotter is not anchoring the pilot, the dynamics of the inflation are not affected, i.e. no additional surge.

Just like any other piece of safety equipment, just because you shouldn't need it if you pilot well and use good judgment doesn't mean you shouldn't have it with you.

Why not a spotter on launch?
tomceunen

easy as it is

Post by tomceunen »

help at launch??? Bwaah we don't need that, we are no girlies!
http://www.youtube.com/?v=kLtRu61MyW4
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

great videos! :lol: :lol:

marc
Great Googly-moo!
ken_pg

Launch Spotter

Post by ken_pg »

I'm newly returned to this sport and I'm definitely not an expert, but, here's my 2 cents worth based upon my limited experience......

In general I don't like to fly if I can't control the wing alone, but, I think a spotter (as Daniel/Sparky call them) on launch is probably a good idea if the conditions are somewhat strong or the launch area is somewhat restricted.

Sometimes it can be hard to tell exactly how strong the conditions really are so having a spotter may give the pilot options if it's stronger than they expect. Years ago when I was learning to fly on the Pacific coast there were a few times I wished I'd had a spotter because the conditions at wing level were stronger than I expected based upon the conditions at ground level.

I also think it's very important if you're going to use a spotter that the spotter and the pilot make sure the conditions aren't so strong that the spotter gets lifted with the pilot. Or, if that does happen, they have to agree that the spotter will let go of the pilot sooner rather than later. (If they're just a spotter they probably shouldn't be holding on that tight.) I've heard about an incident in Hawaii in the 90's when an anchor/spotter was lifted and ended up hanging on as the pilot flew forwards over the edge. The spotter couldn't hang on long enough and ended up falling to his death. I can't find a link for this accident, but, the scenario sounded and still sounds plausible.

On another note, I tried out my new Arcus 4 at Smithsburg last Friday and it's a blast to fly.

Keep Soaring,
Ken
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Part of my job is helping the PG tandem pilots on launch (we often fly in some pretty strong stuff). The first thing they ever told me was that if they start going backwards to go back with them. If I were to anchor them, I'd be powering up the wing and it will surge. Once the wing is flying and they're moving forward (or trying to), then I help. Although mainly I just keep the tandem passenger on their feet ;)

Cheers,
Jim
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Oh yeah... as for the stories of assistants getting drug to their death... Two of our pilots work in Washington where exactly this happened. The guy hung on as they got picked up instead of releasing... scary stuff.
Jon K

Re: Riser Lock

Post by Jon K »

Matthew wrote:But the other consideration is risers locking together when doing a reverse. This has happened to me at POTM on an unassited launch and I've seen it happen at other sites. Is there any way to prevent it and what is the best way to untwist the risers without letting the glider go into a turn?

Matthew
Great discussion.

I have never heard of locking risers. How does it happen?

I have only flown the Pulpit once at the fall fly in and I loved it. Everyone was very nice and welcoming. I can't wait to go back.

For what it is worth, put me into the No Anchor column. I thought anchoring was old school paragliding from the days of cross braced harnesses and hard Kevlar harness back plates. I didn't realize it was still common place.
stevek

Post by stevek »

Love the video! 30 mph winds. Pretty crazy.

Can't wait to get my P2 so I can try it.

Got about 15 minutes at Little Black yesterday -- a 300 ft hill. Was actually looking down on launch for a while. Sorta gettin' comfortable with it. Still scares me when it makes any kind of noise or rocks around in lift.

Try it again today. Gotta hike up the hill so 2x is about all I can do