Rock Monday

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

stevek

Rock Monday

Post by stevek »

ok day. Reasonably straight in at about 10. Cloudy early.

Surprised to find the cube covered with snow but borrowed a shovel from a Wash County road crew.

I was the onliest hang glider there. In fact, I was the onliest person. That is mostly my fault since I didn't call anybody. I didn't call anybody because I was thinking I might bail to Smithsburg if it didn't look good and and try to fly my paraglider.

But I am ok with solitude and was sort of enjoying it until two bus loads of school kids showed up. Suddenly, my world got very busy. This exact same thing has happened to me before. It is a geology field trip from a local elementary school. In fact, the teacher said "Hey Steve!" and haven't seen you since forever, etc etc.

Anyway, geology is ignored and the kids are all screaming "jump!! jump!! and I am running around frazzled trying to get everything together so I can jump before they have to leave. I am, of course, thinking that it is foolish to be rushed and that I will not not not be rushed but I was. And it was cold so there is all this stuff. Stuff everywhere.

I got off ok, (thunderous applause and cheering) only I left my vario in the car and I forgot to thread the VG cord. No matter. Brain dead soarable and I didn't need a VG. Plus. I swear this is true: My Sport 2 makes a whistling noise in lift.
heaviek

Rock Monday

Post by heaviek »

Great story!
Joe Schad

Post by Joe Schad »

I think we should petition the school board to add a sticker in the front of their geology books stating that "Geology isn't only about rocks but occasionally includes Hang Gliding with aged pilots".

Another good story Steve.

Joe
Gene

HR

Post by Gene »

Feels good to read a story on a cold and gloomy day. Just returned from one week of Israel and a week off in Myrtle beach. Next mission to Christshurch, NZ for 8 days and 2 days in Cairns, Aus. 3-18 Jan. Anyways just received my magazine and I am stoked, thanks Ralph. Gene
breezyk1d

travel and clime

Post by breezyk1d »

TAKE ME WITH YOU! I'LL BE YOUR BATTEN BUNNY! JUST GET ME OUT OF THIS FR*CKIN' FREEZER! - LINDA <the frozen one>
Sue Clapsadle

Rock Monday

Post by Sue Clapsadle »

LOL, HERE! HERE!?
?
?
[img]cid:39373b24-6c2d-11da-963d-444553540000[/img]
[img]cid:39373b25-6c2d-11da-963d-444553540000[/img] [img]cid:39373b26-6c2d-11da-963d-444553540000[/img]Photographer at Large
-------Original Message-------
?
?
TAKE ME WITH YOU!??I'LL BE YOUR BATTEN BUNNY!??JUST GET ME OUT OF THIS FR*CKIN' FREEZER! - LINDA <the frozen one

Rock Monday

Post by mcelrah »

I think we need to give Steve a break on this "aged pilot" stuff - if
I'm not mistaken, he's not even drawing Social Security yet! - Hugh
Paul Tjaden

Rock Monday

Post by Paul Tjaden »

Yeah.....I was wondering who the "aged pilot" was. Knew it couldn't have been Steve and I wasn't there!
?
Paul
Joe Schad

Post by Joe Schad »

Hey, Steve is a week younger than I; So no slack available.

Joe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we need to give Steve a break on this "aged pilot" stuff - if
I'm not mistaken, he's not even drawing Social Security yet! - Hugh
stevek

Post by stevek »

I'd have to go back to work for 2 years to get Social Secuity. Ruth will get it. In fact, we are awaiting her first check as we speak. We decided to go for the early retirement (62) because Social Security probably wont be around much longer. oops. I mean ...

The difference between early and regular retirement (65) is interesting. We figured she would have to make it to 74 before she would be ahead of the game by waitng the 3 years to 65 and taking the regular retirement. Seems like a crummy deal to me. I hope we both live to regret that decision