Crosswind Launching

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Matthew

Crosswind Launching

Post by Matthew »

Whenever I kite the glider back up the training hill, the wind is almost always blowing cross. So I pull the glider up unevenly on purpose so that it crabs into the wind as it inflates and walk the wing up the hill with the canopy facing the direction of the wind.

It was blowing cross at Taylor most of the day on Sunday; so I had plenty of time to practice this procedure. I decided to try using this method at launch too. Usually if it's blowing cross and you try to pull the wing up straight when doing a reverse launch, it does two things: crabs into the wind and gets blown over to the downwind side of the cross. Then you have to side step and steer it to get it straightened out. I found that when I intentionally bring the canopy up crooked so that it crabs into the wind it dosn't get blown over to the downwind side. The canopy stays centered in front of me even though it's crabbed into the wind. Once overhead I just had to do a little steering with the brakes to straighten it out and then launch. Does anyone else have any experience with this type of technique??? Any pointers? I'd like to try this at the Pulpit because it's usually somewhat cross there and you don't have room to sidestep.

Matthew
Marcel Dettling

Re: Crosswind Launching

Post by Marcel Dettling »

Matthew wrote:I found that when I intentionally bring the canopy up crooked so that it crabs into the wind it dosn't get blown over to the downwind side. The canopy stays centered in front of me even though it's crabbed into the wind. Once overhead I just had to do a little steering with the brakes to straighten it out and then launch.
Matthew, that's exactly how I learnt it and (try) to do it. If you have enough space, this works fine even in a 90 degree crosswind, as long as its not too strong or gusty. But I'm not sure whether the Pulpit is the right place to practice this kind of technique, i.e. I prefer straight in cycles on such a tricky launch as the Pulpit.

Cheers,

Marcel
charlieg

Pulpit vs. Woodstock vs. Daniels

Post by charlieg »

Marcel:
From a launch and fly perspective, how do you compare The Pulpit, Woodstock, and Daniels?
Charlie
Marcel Dettling

Comparing Woodstock, Daniels and the Pulpit

First thing I wanna say is that I had only 3 flights so far at Woodstock, around 8 at the Pulpit, but numerous (maybe around 30 or so) at Daniels. And what I'm writing below refers to the typical conditions that I've found when it was soarable.

I'd judge the Pulpit as the trickiest of the three. In soarable conditions, the wind is often very strong and also gusty. The two ramps at the side don't leave much room for error. Another mishap/potential risk is to be blown back to the setup area by a strong gust during launch. I'm not so worried about the rocks out front. In soarable conditions, they are not really an issue. For the flight itself, I've never experienced good thermals and light winds at the same time, which diminishes the fun factor a little bit. The second day at the fly-in 2005 was the best I've experienced so far, although still then, there was a lot of drift in the thermals. Also, it's quite a glide to the LZ at the Pulpit, around 5:1. I've encountered terrible sink on the way out as well, so there is not much time for fighting and scratching - once below launch, it's better to head for the LZ.

The launch at Woodstock is even a bit shorter than the one at the Pulpit, and when inflating the glider, the trees on the side don't leave much room. The rocks out front can also be nasty, but we have done nil wind forward launches there, so it's manageable. Even in soarable conditions, the winds at launch tend to be on the light side, i.e. it's better not to launch in winds stronger than 10mph, since there is usually a strong gradient, meaning that the winds pick up very quickly once above launch. I've heard about several blow backs and I've made a somewhat scary experience myself: After I had stayed out front for a while, I wanted to fly above the slot, gained some more altitude and ups, I was climbing faster and faster, but penetrating less and less. I immediately pulled big ears and went on full speedbar and slowly crawled out front again. The big pluses of Woodstock are the comparably steep ridge and the fact that it's less than a 4:1 glide to the LZ. So no worries about going into the trees there. Great thermals flights have happened there too, although I've never had one.

Finally, Daniels. It's a sensitive site after several previous incidents, protocol violations and whatever. But in my opinion, it's the best and most consistent PG site within day trip distance from DC. So it would be a real bummer to lose it. The launch at Daniels is a tad easier and a bit more forgiving than Woodstock and the Pulpit. It's wider and there are no rocks. On the other hand, it's fairly shallow and (depending on the slot condition) the bushes and trees are fairly close. What makes me like Daniels is that it can be very good even in very light winds. We've had days with windspeeds in the 5-10mph range only and flew for hours. Since it's south facing, it also heats up nicely and produces good thermals. Regarding the glide to the LZ, it's only around 4.5:1 (an alternative field which is to be avoided but works is even 4:1), so not too much of an issue. There is some room to work the ridge first, and if this fails, there is often a second chance to catch the "house" (it's really above a house) thermal further out and lower down. However, let me also mention that I've heard of several people going into the trees at Daniels. It can happen there as well, but it should not.

Another good PG site is east facing Bills Hill. I think one can even consider the launch there as easy, with some skill it can also be toplanded (not as easy as Torrey Pines though). It provides a lot of space and is pretty forgiving. The wind speed on the relatively rare east wind days are often in the flyable range for PGs, around 10mph. Also, it doesn't need a lot of wind there, because the valley heats up nicely and often produces good thermals. Some ridge lift of course helps to stay up if one doesn't catch a thermal right away. The only downside of Bills Hill is the long glide to the LZ. It's not less than 5:1 and it all goes over trees. Good thermal activity also means that there are moments with terrible sink. I always made it to the LZ (had around 25 flights there yet), but on two occasions I've been closer to the trees there than anywhere else, and certainly closer than I liked, even without doing anything wrong. Never, really never launch in a crosswind at Bills and don't hug the ridge once below launch - head out right away.

I hope this helps. Don't consider me an expert. My first flight here was only at the end of February 2005, 9 months ago. I wrote down my impressions and I'm happy to change these if somebody with more experience points out things that are wrong.

Cheers,

Marcel
Matthew

Launches

Post by Matthew »

Hi Marcel.

I concur. Don't try launching a PG at Woodstock in winds over ten. Been there. Done that. Don't want to do it again.

As to Pulpit-- 13mph seems to be the magic munber. Anything over 13mph is way hairy to launch a PG. However, I have had several good days in light winds with great thermals in my PG and many, many fantastic days of light winds and great thermals in my hang glider.

As to Daniel's. I think it's our best PG site. Unfortunately, I haven't been there all year (:

Matthew
Jamescob

Crosswind Launching

Post by Jamescob »

When you cross wind a motor launch you can over pull the windward a's a bit
more as well as to what you are talking about Matt, this will help the
crabing glider come up straight so you can start adding power right
away. ... however it is allways advisable to inflate into the wind and start
moving forward on your launch till the glider has some loading on it and
then brake to steer the glider while in your launch run to your desired path.
It takes a feel since if you over do it you could come off the ground in a
turn ... so that the second you pop of the ground you pivot back under the
center of the glider "hopefully with enough ground cleareance hehe" the
trick is to a flat turn in your launch run. The reason it is prefered is
that inflation is your best chance to mess up your glider once it has some
load it is much more stable ... this is super important with the motor since
you have reduced feel and ability to see the glider behind you it is
critical the wing leaves the ground straight to launch. At the pulpit this
may not be possible with ramps on each side. Overall Matt what you you got
below is correct as far as I know. "Not that we should be -launchin- when
it's 45 cross .... hehe"

Just my 10 cents hope it helps !

Slugger

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:39:32 -0500, Matthew wrote
> Whenever I kite the glider back up the training hill, the wind is
> almost always blowing cross. So I pull the glider up unevenly on
> purpose so that it crabs into the wind as it inflates and walk the
> wing up the hill with the canopy facing the direction of the wind.
>
> It was blowing cross at Taylor most of the day on Sunday; so I had
> plenty of time to practice this procedure. I decided to try using
> this method at launch too. Usually if it's blowing cross and you
> try to pull the wing up straight when doing a reverse launch, it
> does two things: crabs into the wind and gets blown over to the
> downwind side of the cross. Then you have to side step and steer it
> to get it straightened out. I found that when I intentionally bring
> the canopy up crooked so that it crabs into the wind it dosn't get
> blown over to the downwind side. The canopy stays centered in front
> of me even though it's crabbed into the wind. Once overhead I just
> had to do a little steering with the brakes to straighten it out and
> then launch. Does anyone else have any experience with this type of
> technique??? Any pointers? I'd like to try this at the Pulpit
> because it's usually somewhat cross there and you don't have room to
> sidestep.
>
> Matthew

James Coblentz
jamescob@bigfoot.com
Spark

Re: Crosswind Launching

Post by Spark »

Matthew wrote:Whenever I kite the glider back up the training hill, the wind is almost always blowing cross. So I pull the glider up unevenly on purpose so that it crabs into the wind as it inflates and walk the wing up the hill with the canopy facing the direction of the wind.

It was blowing cross at Taylor most of the day on Sunday; so I had plenty of time to practice this procedure. I decided to try using this method at launch too. Usually if it's blowing cross and you try to pull the wing up straight when doing a reverse launch, it does two things: crabs into the wind and gets blown over to the downwind side of the cross. Then you have to side step and steer it to get it straightened out. I found that when I intentionally bring the canopy up crooked so that it crabs into the wind it dosn't get blown over to the downwind side. The canopy stays centered in front of me even though it's crabbed into the wind. Once overhead I just had to do a little steering with the brakes to straighten it out and then launch. Does anyone else have any experience with this type of technique??? Any pointers? I'd like to try this at the Pulpit because it's usually somewhat cross there and you don't have room to sidestep.

Matthew
I had a problem launching at Dickey Ridge two weeks ago because of a crosswind - the technique you describe would have helped avert the sideways launch that ensued. Since then, I have been practicing the technique you describe to avoid repeating the mistake.

Below is a link to a discussion of a more exaggerated version of the technique (called Cobra) that is useful for higher winds, but requires a bit more space than our slot launches will generally allow.

http://www.paragliding-lessons.com/arti ... Launch.htm
'Spark
Spark

re: Launches

Post by Spark »

I agree with both Marcel and Matthew regarding maximum recommended windspeeds at Woodstock and Pulpit. Regarding toplanding at Bills, I think it can be a bit more difficult and riskier than it appears. Out of five toplandings there, I have had an unexpected encounter with sink, when winds were just slightly cross. I agree wholeheartedly that it is easy to lauch there, but equally easy to land in the trees below, so I choose never to tarry long on the ridge without lift. Mid-day thermic conditions and cross-wind days seem to carry the greatest risk of massive sink.

Since we have expanded the discussion to include other sites, I'll comment on Jack's Mountain. Jacks Mountain is a nice steep ridge, extending for about 40 miles in length, with an LZ at approximately a 4:1 It is a unique and challenging launch for paragliders

The launch is a slot with a very steep slope strewn with debris. There is a guardrail between the roadway and the launch slope that restricts space for canopy layout. Initially, we launched from below the rail, but the canopy was placed on a steep slope with many opportunities for snags. The slope is so steep that a reverse inflation carries a risk of tripping over backwards. Also, once you are down below your wing, you are not much higher than the trees at the end of the slot. I have made three forward launches there, but do not recommend it, as ther is no margin for error or unexpected issues.

Several pilots have been successful in doing a reverse inflation from behind the guardrail. Fortunately, the paved parking area behind the rail offers sufficient room for canopy layout. I have found that winds of 8mph and higher will allow one to reverse inflate, provided that someone priovides assistance by holding the canopy up. More recently, I was successful in a forward inflation (again with canopy assistance) in winds between 3 and 5mph. Launching from behind the rail offers an opportunity to abort without risk of incident.

I have found that stepping over the rail is less difficult than first imagined, except that it tends to retard the canopy when doing a forward launch. Thus it must be done quickly ;-)

I will be returning from a trip west in two weeks with a scooter tow system with 5000' of spectra. In the future, I am lookng forward to using this 'virtual mountain' to augment our rather meager supply of launch sites.
'Spark
heaviek

Crosswind Launching

Post by heaviek »

Man! Sparky, That is GREAT news! Have you scoped out some good tow sites
yet? That is very cool.

A young feller from Ecuador helped me with some kiting techniques on our
ragged out neglected wing we have kicking around Quest. I could never do
the A + D inflation trick right until he showed me how.

Kev C

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Spark [mailto:BagPipeFlyer@hotmail.com]
> Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 11:08 AM
> To: pg_forum@chgpa.org
> Subject: Crosswind Launching
> I will be returning from a trip west in two weeks with a scooter tow
> system with 5000' of spectra. In the future, I am lookng forward to using
> this 'virtual mountain' to augment our rather meager supply of launch
> sites.Allen Sparks
> 301-462-8320
> http://community.webshots.com/user/sparkozoid
Marcel Dettling

Re: re: Launches

Spark wrote:I will be returning from a trip west in two weeks with a scooter tow system with 5000' of spectra. In the future, I am lookng forward to using this 'virtual mountain' to augment our rather meager supply of launch sites.
Wow, Spark, that's great news! Thank you for all your efforts.

Best,

Marcel
mcelrah

Crosswind Launching

Post by mcelrah »

I observe that there *does* seem to be something in common between paragliders and paramotors... - Hugh

>From: James Coblentz <jamescob@bigfoot.com>
>Date: Tue Nov 29 09:13:36 CST 2005
>To: pg_forum@chgpa.org
>Subject: Re: Crosswind Launching

>
>When you cross wind a motor launch you can over pull the windward a's a bit
>more as well as to what you are talking about Matt, this will help the
>crabing glider come up straight so you can start adding power right
>away. ... however it is allways advisable to inflate into the wind and start
>moving forward on your launch till the glider has some loading on it and
>then brake to steer the glider while in your launch run to your desired path.
>It takes a feel since if you over do it you could come off the ground in a
>turn ... so that the second you pop of the ground you pivot back under the
>center of the glider "hopefully with enough ground cleareance hehe" the
>trick is to a flat turn in your launch run. The reason it is prefered is
>that inflation is your best chance to mess up your glider once it has some
>load it is much more stable ... this is super important with the motor since
>you have reduced feel and ability to see the glider behind you it is
>critical the wing leaves the ground straight to launch. At the pulpit this
>may not be possible with ramps on each side. Overall Matt what you you got
>below is correct as far as I know. "Not that we should be -launchin- when
>it's 45 cross .... hehe"
>
>Just my 10 cents hope it helps !
>
>Slugger
>
>
>On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:39:32 -0500, Matthew wrote
>> Whenever I kite the glider back up the training hill, the wind is
>> almost always blowing cross. So I pull the glider up unevenly on
>> purpose so that it crabs into the wind as it inflates and walk the
>> wing up the hill with the canopy facing the direction of the wind.
>>
>> It was blowing cross at Taylor most of the day on Sunday; so I had
>> plenty of time to practice this procedure. I decided to try using
>> this method at launch too. Usually if it's blowing cross and you
>> try to pull the wing up straight when doing a reverse launch, it
>> does two things: crabs into the wind and gets blown over to the
>> downwind side of the cross. Then you have to side step and steer it
>> to get it straightened out. I found that when I intentionally bring
>> the canopy up crooked so that it crabs into the wind it dosn't get
>> blown over to the downwind side. The canopy stays centered in front
>> of me even though it's crabbed into the wind. Once overhead I just
>> had to do a little steering with the brakes to straighten it out and
>> then launch. Does anyone else have any experience with this type of
>> technique??? Any pointers? I'd like to try this at the Pulpit
>> because it's usually somewhat cross there and you don't have room to
>> sidestep.
>>
>> Matthew
>
>
>James Coblentz
>jamescob@bigfoot.com
pink_albatross

Post by pink_albatross »

Nice discussion.

Currently taking a graduate course in risk analysis (basically common sense translated into some math), I would just like to augment earlier comments with the following: while forward launches at Woodstock are certainly doable, the potential damage to yourself if you are not solid can be pretty bad due to the nasty rocks. Tripping can put you in the hospital.

Daniel's - yes, you can run out of room and end up in the bushes below, but it is usually a pretty soft landing. I have never seen injuries other than scratches there. It might take a while to untangle your wing though.
Just like with any site, if you fly in the wrong conditions you can involuntarily end up over the back at Daniel's (bad bad bad). So done by yours truly

-- ellis