Sun landings

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

breezyk1d

Sun landings

Post by breezyk1d »

Spent the afternoon with the rest of the gazillion travellers on Interstate 95, but made it to Blue Sky along with a couple other diehards (Tim and Rance). We all towed into an overcast and darkening sky with only occaisional breaks in the clouds, with trickling puffs of air from the South, East and North,barely moving the streamers.

I did 4 pattern tows (aero - tow road to mucky) and on the last couple landings, with Steve's guidance, I nailed 'em: right in the spot circle, and with a classic flare, on my feet. Okay, in my case a classic flare means the keel hits the ground first, but by the last landing, I managed to flare slightly less aggressively, and consequently the keel didn't land before my feet.

Not that I can repeat that as often as I'd like, but hey, I'm getting there.

I may consider a shorter stinger so that I have more acceptable-to-me flare options. This isn't the first time I've struck keel first, and despite an otherwise textbok approach and landing, I'm left with a jerking "wham" that not only wants to rearrange my spinal column, but that forces me to do the "catch yourself shuffle" dance with my feet. It is an unpleasant sensation, made worse by the feeling that everything is going just dandy, when suddenly the glider decides to knock you off your feet.

But WHOOHOO and DAMN! I do love getting it right! :D -Linda
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

The purpose of a keel (at least the back end of it) is solely to keep your wingtips out of the dirt when it's sitting on the ground. Shortening it might not be a good idea.

Glad to hear your landings are going well :)
Jim
breezyk1d

keel

Post by breezyk1d »

Hi Jim!

Yeah, that's the problem. I need a telescoping keel; long for on the ground, short for flight... :D -Linda
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

I like the telescoping idea... stick a light spring in it so it sticks out until you land. hahahaha.

I don't know though... I like when my keel hits first... lets me know that I had a nice strong flare and stopped the glider cold. When I get it really right, it doesn't smash into the ground either, just drops onto the keel.

Either way, I think it's easier to learn to back off of a really agressive flare than the other way around. Good stuff.
Jim
brianvh

pogo stick

Post by brianvh »

Damn Linda, usually only really advanced pilots like Mike Chevalier ever need a pogo stick keel. Way to go!
Brian Vant-Hull