Saturday South?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

breezyk1d

Saturday South?

Post by breezyk1d »

Anyone thinking of flying Saturday at a south facing site? I'm up for some more flying. - Linda cell 703-303-8652
carweill

Post by carweill »

Heading down to Blue Sky.

Tex will be there. Steve will check for truck towing.

Carlos
breezyk1d

Sunday

Post by breezyk1d »

I spent the day at Taylor's Farm footlaunching and having deliciously erect and firm landings (OK - the first landing was on my knees but there MAY have been a touch of sink at that moment...). :wink:

John M. was out with two students who were doing just fantastically, Chris and Carl (Karl?). Very impressive. Repeatedly. Chris was working on his turns, and Carl was getting the straight flight thing down. :arrow:

Steve Kinsley showed up with his paraglider, and up popped Matthew and Karen too. :idea:

I think it was a good, possibly even great day for everyone! It certainly was for me. Warm sunny hillside, lots of folks having fun. And some great (for me) landings and fun flights. :D

Winds were steady and constant, stronger than the 2-5 called for by the website I looked at this morning, but not too strong (except for some of the parawings). It was just perfect for hang gliding footlaunch practice. Not too switchy.

I managed 5 flights - courtesy of those "20 year old type" fellows who trotted my glider up the hill for me faster than I could ascend (even sans glider!) :oops: And I'm referring to Matthew and Steve: those guys are all sinew and braun (ok, some brains too!). I struggled through my three pilgrimages to the top (one more than yesterday), and my legs and arms turned to jelly. Cranberry jelly to be precise.

I may end up doing Blue Sky tomorrow, and learning to truck tow, if the winds continue to be less than mountainously directed. :arrow:

I am also delighted to announce that the Kinsley method of de-tipping the wings is a delight to watch! Too bad I don't have the arm strength required because it looked the easier/simplest of all. But the Middleton method works like a charm for me. Park butt on ground, and PULL! Cup pops right off! :shock:

So, now that I am completely capable of assemblig and disassembling my glider, I get to have fun flying it. I cannot wait to soar it :!: - Linda

Carlos, how was Blue Sky?
dbodner

Jack's Sunday?

Post by dbodner »

On Nov 26, 2005, at 10:09 PM, breezyk1d wrote:
I spent the day at Taylor's Farm footlaunching and having deliciously erect and firm landings
OK, other than Linda, who obviously has her mind on other things ;-), is anyone thinking Jack's tomorrow?? I'm seeing very inconsistent forecasts for the weather up there.

David Bodner
d.bodner@verizon.net (d.bodner@verizon.net)
(703) 516-7101
(703) 946-0123 cell
KI4AFI
Spark

Re: Jack's Sunday?

Post by Spark »

dbodner wrote: ... is anyone thinking Jack's tomorrow? I'm seeing very inconsistent forecasts for the weather up there.

David Bodner
d.bodner@verizon.net (d.bodner@verizon.net)
(703) 516-7101
(703) 946-0123 cell
KI4AFI
Yeah, I'm thinking of making a run to Jacks. I'll be deciding at about 9:30am. If I don't go to Jacks, I'll be scouting Spring Run.
'Spark
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

Used to fly Spring run with both paraglider and hang glider. Contact Keith Ford for more info. Probably overgrown by now--problem was--as I recall--main lz got closed so you had to fly an 8.1 glide to alternate. There's another "top secret" NW site on the other side of the ridge.

marc
Great Googly-moo!