NEW TOPIC: Winter sports!

For topics that don't fit into any of the other forums: politics, rant-n-raves, cool web sites, anything and everything goes!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Scott

Post by Scott »

I'm psyched---just got my full season pass today for Whitetail/Liberty/RoundTop---now bring on the snow! I can't wait. Last year, I bought a Night pass---which is a good deal---but I totally blew it by going about 15 times during the day too! (Doh.) So this year I went ahead and sprang for the "Big Kahuna" pass. It'll be nice not having to get those annoying sticker tags...
Sparky, I got your voicemail---you have a job at Whitetail? That's great! (What will you be doing?) And did I hear you say you want to do some snowboarding? :) If so, then you owe it to yourself to check out the world of alpine carving! (That's what I do---VERY different from "normal" snowboarding.) Here are two great websites to learn more about carving:
Bomber Online
The Carver's Almanac

As I recall, the first decent day at Whitetail was Christmas Eve (at least that's when Holly and I went for the first time). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this cold will stick around so they can start making snow soon!

Scott
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Bah! Who needs four seasons? Three ought to be enough for anyone.
(Off to Florida.) Brrrr! - Hugh
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

Single digit cold in Maine last night. I'm thinking of trying traction kiting on the frozen lakes this winter if I can get a good kite someplace.

marc
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

To forestall cries of "wimp": I have been riding my motorcycle to
work the last two days. As the Norwegians say, there is no bad
weather, only bad clothes. I'm just toasty in my winter M/C suit,
only might need to beef up in the sock department if riding all
day... - Hugh
Scott

Post by Scott »

Hey Hugh---I've been motorcycling the past couple days too. My body's been plenty warm, but my HANDS are the weak link! The gloves I've tried just don't seem to cut it.

It's a Catch-22: the beefier/warmer the gloves, the less dexterity/feel you have. What do you use? I'm looking for the best glove on Planet Earth---one that's thin with good feel, but will keep my fingers warm in 35-degree weather at 60mph!

Scott
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

Ahh, I fondly remember when I commuted for years on just motorcycles, even during the winter. I really miss those days of fogged up helmet visors and spinning out on black-ice patches while avoiding road-raged car drivers who couldn't see anything beyond their windshield wipers! 8) Sealing out wind is the key in winter riding. I used a good set of full leather gloves which sealed off wind chill, then a polypro liner if it were below zero. If you're going to be doing that much riding in the cold--get a fairing. Snowmobile suit will take you way down below zero, too.

marc
Spark

Post by Spark »

Last Thursday I applied for a job at White Tail as a mountain host. If I get the job, I'll be seeing you there. I'm looking forward to having some serious winter fun, and to dropping some weight.

http://www.flyozone.com/ozkites/kframe.htm
'Spark
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

I can deal with (dry) cold, but slick pavement, compromised visibility aren't worth it to me. Heading down to Florida tomorrow - thought about motorcycling, but wasn't willing to deal with the possibility of getting in such a situation. Carrying HG harness and gear, plus clothes was going to stretch capacity. The clincher was the five recorded books I want to listen to - bike has a tape deck, but I don't have noise attenuating in-the-ear headphones wired to it yet... - Hugh

>From: Flying Lobster <in_a_cloud@hotmail.com>
>Date: Mon Nov 21 07:53:03 CST 2005
>To: ot_forum@chgpa.org
>Subject: NEW TOPIC: Winter sports!

>
>Ahh, I fondly remember when I commuted for years on just motorcycles, even during the winter. I really miss those days of fogged up helmet visors and spinning out on black-ice patches while avoiding road-raged car drivers who couldn't see anything beyond their windshield wipers! 8) Sealing out wind is the key in winter riding. I used a good set of full leather gloves which sealed off wind chill, then a polypro liner if it were below zero. If you're going to be doing that much riding in the cold--get a fairing. Snowmobile suit will take you way down below zero, too.
>
>marc
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

My compromise for now is ski gloves with (leather palms and) thick
insulation that DOES reduce my confidence in my grip on the throttle,
etc (I can work the turn signals etc OK). But the fact is that I do
have sufficient grip - it just doesn't feel like it because of the
additional thickness of the insulation. I just have to relax my
death grip and I'm still connected to the twist grip. I find that
this is one of the key comfort factors for riding all day - not
getting carpal tunnel from the white-knuckles I get if I have to
maneuver through traffic, etc. I'm constantly bending my fingers and
thumb back to relieve stress and reminding myself to relax that
grip. Anyway, Duluth Trading Post (duluthtrading.com) advertises
some heavy duty leather but dexterous insulated work gloves. And of
course there's the made for motorcyclists stuff at Aerostich/
Riderwearhouse (aerostich.com). Enjoy! - Hugh
dhenders

mountain boards

Post by dhenders »

Scott,
Do you Mountain Board? I have two of them, the dry land kind. Did it for a litttle while but the pain was too great.
Spark

Re: mountain boards

Post by Spark »

dhenders wrote: ...
Do you Mountain Board? I have two of them, the dry land kind. Did it for a litttle while but the pain was too great.
Wanna sell one? I'm planning to get a 3meter traction kite.
'Spark
dhenders

mountain board

Post by dhenders »

Come look at them and see if they will do what you need. One has a flat but I have the new tube.
brianvh

mountain host

Post by brianvh »

so is a mountain host one of those guys who go around and everytime you see a pair of legs sticking out of the snow, you pull'em out? Do you carry one of those big thermos jugs around your neck?
Brian Vant-Hull
mikel

Post by mikel »

probably filled with that "SPARK" juice huh?
Mike Lee

How 'Bout That
Spark

Re: mountain host

Post by Spark »

brianvh wrote:so is a mountain host one of those guys who go around and everytime you see a pair of legs sticking out of the snow, you pull'em out? Do you carry one of those big thermos jugs around your neck?
http://www.skiwhitetail.com/employment.htm
Mountain Host: "Provide outstanding Guest Service, assisting guests in every aspect of the ski area experience. Friendly positive attitude a must. One of the most fulfilling occupations on the mountain."

Volunteer job. You work two 4 hour shifts each week. You get a locker, a season pass, free rentals and free instruction. I put in for Friday afternoons and nights.

This season marks my 40th on skis, having started at Jackson Hole, Wyoming in 1965. I figure I learn how to snow board this year.
'Spark
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

Just out of curiosity Scott, why didn't you post this in "ground-bound fun"? I think that poor forum gets neglected.
Brian Vant-Hull