Only slightly OT: GPS routing problems

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Scott

Only slightly OT: GPS routing problems

Post by Scott »

Here's a GPS road-routing problem that's driving me NUTS! :evil: I really hope someone out there who uses a GPS somewhat regularly might have a solution.

I have a Garmin eTrex VistaC. I also have Garmin MapSource on the PC. MapSource allows you to create (road) routes, then upload them to the GPS device. Then the GPS is supposed to be able to navigate that route---but instead, it consistently ignores the route directions you specify on the computer, and "calculates" it's own whacky directions.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone else ever use their GPS for routing? Anyone have a solution? I've already sent email to Garmin and posted on other GPS forums---I'm just covering all the bases!

Thanks,
Scott

PS - This is relevant to hang gliding because you might want to specify a route from home to a new flying site, then simply use the GPS to follow that route.