New ADIZ "Flight Training" From the FAA

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Danny Brotto

New ADIZ "Flight Training" From the FAA

Post by Danny Brotto »

This came in from my sailplane interests. Seems that the FAA is requiring licensed pilots to complete this course (as explained in the message below.) I don't know the implications on part 103 aircraft (us.) I gotta believe that ultralight activity within the ADIZ is being scrutinized. The closest we come to the ADIZ (except for training hills) is Ridgley. Marco, you flying that powered harness in the ADIZ or are you just outside it?

Danny Brotto

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADIZ Training Will be Required for Many Region IV Pilots and Others

November 17, 2005: FAA Administrator Marion Blakey announced at Oskhosh earlier this year that, in response to congressional pressure, that the FAA would soon issue special regulations requiring pilots who fly within 100 miles of Washington, D.C., to successfully complete a training course on navigating the D.C. Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ). Since many Region IV pilots fly within this area ? much larger than the ADIZ, obviously ? it appears that to remain legal, all pilots within this area will have to comply, as might any pilot who may, in the future, ever consider flying within 100 miles of Washington, DC. Please pass this along to your Club members.

In response, the FAA posted a free online course to the FAA Safety Program website this week titled "Navigating the DC ADIZ, TFRs, and Special Use Airspace." The eight-chapter course aims to help pilots understand different kinds of flight restrictions and special use airspaces, with a special emphasis on requirements and procedures for the ADIZ, the Flight Restricted Zone (FRZ), and security-based temporary flight restrictions (TFRs).

A 25-question, multiple-choice quiz concludes the course. When completed, pilots receive a certificate of completion as well as a wallet-sized card they can print to carry with them as required by recent legislation. FAA Public Affairs expects to issue a news release next week to officially announce that the online course is available, but you can visit the site now at http://www.faasafety.gov. You will be required to register before taking the course.

FWIW, I just did ? takes about 20 minutes ? and I have my certificate (suitable for framing!) and a card to put in my wallet.

Jim Kellett, Director
Soaring Society of America, Region IV
CraginS

Re: New ADIZ "Flight Training" From the FAA

Post by CraginS »

Danny,
On the OZ Report last week there was an item about a HG pilot/ Ultralight driver who got caught by FAA busting a TFR (in his UL, not his HG), and being fined $10K.
You can be sure the FAA (and the fighter CAP) are paying attention to Part 103 airframes in the TFRs. Not sure how they feel about the ADIZ.

cragin

[quote="Danny Brotto"]This came in from my sailplane interests. Seems that the FAA is requiring licensed pilots to complete this course (as explained in the message below.) I don't know the implications on part 103 aircraft (us.) I gotta believe that ultralight activity within the ADIZ is being scrutinized. The closest we come to the ADIZ (except for training hills) is Ridgley. Marco, you flying that powered harness in the ADIZ or are you just outside it?

Danny Brotto

>>SNIP<<