Say Goodbye to Public Broadcasting and NEA

For topics that don't fit into any of the other forums: politics, rant-n-raves, cool web sites, anything and everything goes!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

These two venerable institutions have long been targeted by the conservative right as bastions of leftest rhetoric and purveyors of immoral views that are corrupting our society. Like the Supreme Court, efforts have been mounted to control the direction of programming and endowments. Failing that, pulling the plug on funding altogether is now the tactic of choice, an easy one to pass since the country is going bankrupt.

Then again, who needs culture when we can always watch re-runs of "Deliverence?"
Marco Zee

Post by Marco Zee »

IF the Congress is yanking funding for NPR and NEA, this is indeed great news and should be posted in the "Good News" section of the forum.

Bye bye NPR & NEA...and good riddance !!!! Now you will have to compete against all those other private enterprises...but you should do fine....just look at the great success of Air America !!! I think they are up to 7 stations now.

What channel is replaying Deliverance....that's one of my favorites !!! Come on Marc....let me hear ya squeal like a pig !!! LOL :D
Hoooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !!!!

I am still not convinced that funding has been pulled for these two liberal bastions of government pork, but we'll see. I can already hear the Libs whining about killing Big Bird and Elmo now.

Marco
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

NPR and PBS along with CSPAN are the only oases of serious journalism
left in the vast wasteland of commercial broadcasting. Faux (Fox) is
openly biased, and ABC/NBC/CBS have cut their news budgets and
blurred the line between journalism and entertainment. The public
channels take the time to report the news more fully and have
representatives of all points of view (including conservative) on air
where they are treated respectfully and allowed the opportunity to
state their positions in their own words. I see no bias. There is
only one political commentator I know of on NPR, and that's old
Daniel Schor, who is indeed liberal. I have shouted at the dashboard
and turned him off in the past - but it's easy to tell what is
commentary and what is reporting. Talk radio is really just "shock
radio" - there's not much difference between Rush Limbaugh and Howard
Stern. I wouldn't take either one seriously as a journalist. I
send money to the PBS/NPR stations and will increase my contribution
if Congress pulls the plug on them. Presumably they would no longer
be subjected to political meddling by hacks such as ousted former
chair of the Center for Public Broadcasting who acted like an old-
style Communist apparatchik trying to enforce a party line... - Hugh
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

Marco Zee wrote:IF the Congress is yanking funding for NPR and NEA, this is indeed great news and should be posted in the "Good News" section of the forum.

Bye bye NPR & NEA...and good riddance !!!! Now you will have to compete against all those other private enterprises...but you should do fine....just look at the great success of Air America !!! I think they are up to 7 stations now.

What channel is replaying Deliverance....that's one of my favorites !!! Come on Marc....let me hear ya squeal like a pig !!! LOL :D
Hoooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !!!!

I am still not convinced that funding has been pulled for these two liberal bastions of government pork, but we'll see. I can already hear the Libs whining about killing Big Bird and Elmo now.

Marco
I figured the iconic "Deliverence" would be right up your alley. Funding hasn't been completely pulled--but the neo-conks have tried several times, and have succeeded in getting some cuts.

We live in a time that celebrates ignorance and encourages mediocrity. I guess in some abstract way this makes us better consumers of mass-media garbage and easier to manipulate. But this is not what democracy is about. Ultimately, the conservative agenda will implode under the weight of it's own deceptions and self-interest. It's crumbling right now, and that is the root of my hope for a bright future for America.

marc