I met Judy Leden!

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Lauren Tjaden

I met Judy Leden!

Post by Lauren Tjaden »

Sunday: I curled over the toilet and retched, trying to feel grateful for my stomach flu. Though I have missed some good flying, the flu has been good exercise for my abs (all that flexing), and even better for my diet. And it has given me time to concentrate on the FAI comp I am organizing with Paul. Yes, the flu is good.
My cell phone rang. I wiped my mouth and answered. Lisa Kain, from Quest, was calling. Judy Leden showed up last Sunday at Quest, and I missed meeting her. I recall seeing her, but I didn't know who the cute little brunette girl was, and further, I was busy.
Like I told my friend Cindy, I wanted to go out and sit under my glider and see what the clouds were doing. Very professional. The clouds were, umm, forming, and then fading.
Yup. I get it. But seriously, it was good for me to concentrate on my job and escape the noise. I do better when I can just think about what I need to do and get social later.
However, I missed meeting Judy, though my amateur reading of the clouds turning out to be OK. I really was sorry I hadn't met the legend and the woman that she is.
When Lisa called yesterday, I knew it would be my last chance to see Judy for a long while. She and her husband planned to fly back to England today. I showered and drove to Quest, abandoning my home on the couch and in the bathroom.
I found Judy and her husband, Chris, beside Jim Phrahl's trailer, where April fixed eggs and bacon for a zillion pilots. I politely declined breakfast (covering my mouth and trying to hide my gagging) and met the friggin' amazing Judy.
She has broken so many world records, but she giggled when I told her that I had seen her online on the "Extreme Ironing" site. I asked if she ironed and she said "no" -- thank Gawd she has some pride -- but nevertheless it was pretty funny when she explained how the iron was velcroed to the board, how she curled up the cord, and how the military man she flew with did the job (the quality of ironing is important, as well as the extreme quality; the cuffs and collar need to be straight and correct). I asked how the hell she launched with the ironing board, and Chris started laughing and said she strapped it to her back; that was one thing she hadn't mentioned. But she said the legs got tangled in the side wires so next time she would take the legs off.
Anyhow, I didn't want to touch her because I am sick, but she insisted on hugging me, saying it was good for her immune system. She is cool. This is how relations should be between women. I do not understand the catty stuff that some women seem to want. Sigh. What is that about?
I told Judy she had been influential regarding the entire sport of hang gliding, as well as to me personally, as a pilot. Every word was true.
What a lucky life I have, to be around so many people with such strong life forces.
Paul is finally home, as of late last night. I was still barfing this morning, but I think I have the secret -- just eat Saltines, nothing else, and then I am fine. I need to fly. Yeesh, it has been so long. Tomorrow still looks not so great, but Wednesday is SOUTH. Oh, that is very good. Me and my Angel will fly a LONG ways.
Lauren
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

I heard she asked for your autograph! :lol: :lol:

marc
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

Judy was used as the pilot when some folks made a wing based on Leonardo da Vinci's design...the one you see on Tshirts. I seem to remember from the documentary that she insisted on having her husband on the ground crew because he had a better nose for detecting when she was about to get in trouble than she did: she has a hard time saying no to danger if it seems fun.
She was very firm about the need for an A-frame rather than the nebulous control structure they had devised. The thing flew!
Brian Vant-Hull
batmanh3

Post by batmanh3 »

The symptoms sound much more like morning sickness than the flu ... is there something you want to tell us?
Paul Tjaden

I met Judy Leden!

Post by Paul Tjaden »

In a message dated 11/15/2005 2:16:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, batmanh3@yahoo.com writes:
The symptoms sound much more like morning sickness than the flu ... is there something you want to tell us?

Yeah, that if I am pregnant I will slit my wrists. I would sooner adopt 15 cats than have a kid right now. But no worries, I imagine that at my age, my ovaries are well on their way to becoming raisins.
I am SO jealous of the pilots flying, though!!! I was grateful that the day became overcast because I am still sick. Paul flew the furthest at about 50 miles. The others (Kevin, Bo, etc) landed shorter, but they mostly flew single surface gliders. They chased the 1000 dollar prize money for a single surface flight of 100 miles or more. Kevin got the furthest.
I have given up on even Saltines. I eat chipped ice.
Lauren