Daniels?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Dan T

Daniels?

Post by Dan T »

Does anyone know about the quality of maintenance at the Daniels launch and LZ.? Is it suitable for hanggliders?? Also I assume the road is passable with a 4wd?? Haven't been there in a couple of years at least.

Dan T
Dan T

Daniels?

Post by Dan T »

Any report on the condition of the Daniels slot?
Is anyone thnking of going there today?

Dan T
stevek

Post by stevek »

I flew there about 3 weeks ago. Iit was ok. Took the machette to a few veggies that were sticking up. Road sucks. Not sure I can make it today. Looks like it might be good tho.
tomceunen

Veggies

Post by tomceunen »

The PG flew yesterday at Daniels in light but good conditions.
I guess the slot needs maintenance but is not so bad.
The PG will be there today again.
I not, I'm on vacation in NY state.
cheers
tom
Marcel Dettling

Post by Marcel Dettling »

Daniels was a blast this weekend. On Saturday, we were 7 PGs. My first flight was an extendo, launching at noon was still too early. The second was much better, I got 540m (1800ft) above launch, flying time just above 1 hour before I got flushed. A bit surprisingly there was a nice glass-off, too. It yielded another very nice hour of flying.

Today Sunday was again an excellent day. We were 4 PGs and 4 HGs. My first flight was again at noon, scratched for 20 minutes but just couldn't get more than about 30m (100ft) above launch and finally sank out. Caught a quick ride back to launch and the conditions had already improved a lot. Despite I could only get around 150m (500ft) above launch, I flew for about 2 hours, but finally was flushed again (argh!). Again today, there was a very nice glass-off which yielded almost another hour of flying. I think I was the last one in the air and landed just a few minutes before sunset.

I think the HGs who flew today can describe the condition of the slot better than I can. For PGs its perfectly fine. The road is not too bad. It's a bumpy ride but today even a normal 2WD car made it to launch.

Cheers,

Marcel
Marcel Dettling

Pics from Daniels

Post by Marcel Dettling »

I posted some pics (the slot is visible on 2 of them)...

http://stat.ethz.ch/~dettling/daniels.html

Cheers,

Marcel