Taylor Hill Saturday, 11/5?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

CraginS

Post by CraginS »

68 - 75 degrees; sunny
SW 5-10

Sounds like a nice day to brush up at Taylor Farm.
Anyone else interested?

Cragin
Spark

Re: Taylor Hill Saturday, 11/5?

Post by Spark »

CraginS wrote:68 - 75 degrees; sunny
SW 5-10

Anyone else interested?

Cragin
It is a heckofa long drive for me. Maybe.
'Spark
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

CraginS wrote:68 - 75 degrees; sunny
SW 5-10

Anyone else interested?

Cragin
I'm in w. pg.

~Daniel
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

I will be teaching there and will bring my recently purchased riding mower to do some mowing. Scott remarked that a couple of weeks ago, some areas were getting a bit tall.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

I'm in w. pg.

Daniel[/quote]

Change of plans, sorry, Cragin, now I'm out.

Cheers,
Daniel
Spark

Post by Spark »

I'm going to a different (closer) hill.
'Spark
Gene

Taylor's

Post by Gene »

Wanted to be there, but I promised a friend that I would help him with his kitchen. We gutted the whole thing: cabinets, appliances, floor and drywall. What a mess. Anyways, looking forward to all the posts for the day. Gene
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

Very good teaching day at Taylors on Saturday. Winds were 0 - 5 mph crossing little from left at times but reasonably straight others. Started to get calm around 4 PM. Students got their fill with Chris A. passing his hang 1. Cragin and Chris Donahue also their flying. Did at least 1 hour of mowing grass on the hill. Great to be back at Taylors.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
CraginS

Saturday Taylor Flying

Post by CraginS »

[quote="silverwings"]Very good teaching day at Taylors on Saturday. Winds were 0 - 5 mph crossing little from left at times but reasonably straight others. Started to get calm around 4 PM. Students got their fill with Chris A. passing his hang 1. Cragin and Chris Donahue also their flying. Did at least 1 hour of mowing grass on the hill. Great to be back at Taylors.[/quote]

Good time on the training hill Saturday. I had a specific mission this time, to practice light wind launches with my Ultrasport. A few weeks ago at Woodstock I set up but did not fly because the winds were so light. Brian flew his Falcon that day, and Carlos his Pulse. If I had had my Pulse, I would have, also, but was not sure of myself on very light wind run with the heavier US.
All last year, every time I went to the training hill, I had used my Pulse, because it is easier to carrry back up the hill.
This time I brought both gliders, but only set up the US. I got in three good launches, all in very light and slightly crossing winds. Lots of running... 2 or 3 steps more on the hill than I may have needed with the Pulse. The various Falcon and Eagle pilots in John's class were getting airborne sooner than I.
With three flights, even though the launches were good, I did get a bit tired on the carries back up. I was fatigued on the final flight, and did not handle the landing well. No damage, just embarrasing to slide it in.
John's students were looking good. Bob, who has had one WS flight with John on a Falcon is now ready to seek observers, comfortable with his new Eagle and Z5 harness. Chris Donahue looked very good on his launches and landings (better than me). Busy as a catcher at the trapeze school, he did not get to the mountains all summer, and is ready to get in some flying again.
Taking it easy today, and out of town next week, so gonna be a while before I get another flying day.

Cragin
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

"Catcher at the trapeze school"? Yes, yes, go on... - Hugh
cdonahue

Post by cdonahue »

mcelrah wrote:"Catcher at the trapeze school"? Yes, yes, go on... - Hugh
Indeed. "Catcher," which translates roughly from the latin for "Destroying one's body for the enjoyment of others..." :D

As a point of illustration - exhibit A "What we like to catch":

...and exhibit B "Our worst nightmare: 220 pounds of flyin' Elmer":

Gotta love the expression on his face though! Trust me, buddy - it's gonna hurt ME a lot more than it hurts you!! :wink:

Of course, those photos were taken back in my Club Med days from about 10 years ago. What I wouldn't give to have that body back again... *sigh*

--Chris
tomceunen

catcher

Post by tomceunen »

Laslo Lovei PG member of the club is a catcher as well.
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Trapeze pictures? - Hugh
breezyk1d

flyin'

Post by breezyk1d »

Awesome Chris!

Catching a thermal must be easy compared to catching Elmer! Glad to hear you are getting some HG time in. -Linda
deveil

site maintenance

Post by deveil »

sears craftsman , 10 h.p., 30" riding mower. FREE to a good home (i.e hang gliding site maintenance use).
a neighbor is giving up on it after doing some kind of damage to the deck - but the rest of it is in good repair.
if there were use for it, i would see about getting the mow deck back in shape. otherwise it will be scrapped. gary devan