Where are people flying Sunday?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Scott

Post by Scott »

Just wondering where people are flying today? (Sunday.) I'm somewhat physically beat (spent the whole day with Holly yesterday moving furniture up and down several flights of stairs)...so not sure yet if I'll fly, but would like to know what's up. Pulpit? Woodstock again?

Scott
Scott

Post by Scott »

Followup...several forecasts I just checked are looking pretty light, 5mph @ Woodstock, 5-10mph at Pulpit, but detail views show max of only 7mph. (WNW, W). What's minimum soarable at Pulpit? (Yeah, I know---sleds would do me some good...if I can Advil up before flying!)

Scott

PS - I'd probably be up for going to Smithsburg today too if anyone else is up for that. Post here or give me a call: 717-968-0274. (At the least I might take my Zagi over there...)
CraginS

Re: Where are people flying Sunday?

Post by CraginS »

pulpit
markc

Post by markc »

I'm not convinced that today's an easy call.... All the
NWS text forecasts are saying Pulpit, but Intellicast
surface is calling a strong-ish looking NW@15 for Pulpit
and High Rock, and the ADDS 3k forecasts maps show
some NW@20-30 in that area, with some strengthening
through 5pm that yields NW15-20 all the way down into
northern VA.

I'm going to wait for the ballon data to become available
before I try to make up my mind.

What are other's thoughts?

Mark C.
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

My thoughts are we should wait for you to report on the baloon data.

Dan T
Gene

Sunday

Post by Gene »

I will leave home around 1100 and should be at Smithsburg/Pulpit by 1PM. I will check the posts to see who goes to Smithsburg. Another training day at SB? See you there Scott? Okay, will be watching and packing the van. Gene
markc

Post by markc »

The real-time sites show a fair amount of SW for Wstock, Strasburg
and Big Meadows...

The updated ADDS 3k forecast no longer has that blob of 20-30
in south-central PA near the MD border...

They're calling for the lower 60's at the Pulpit; should be a beautiful
fall day....

So I think I'll give the Pulpit a try!

I'm hitting the road in about 10 minutes.

Mark C

mobile: 301-807-5414
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

Why oh why is it that everytime there's wave at woodstock I have to miss it?

Anyway, I'll be bringing a couple of friends/drivers to Pulpit. Unfortunately they have late schedules so I won't possibly arrive before 2 pm. Sigh.
Brian Vant-Hull
carweill

Post by carweill »

I'll try pulpit

ETA ~12:30

Carlos
Spark

Wave - desireable or not?

Post by Spark »

brianvh wrote:Why oh why is it that everytime there's wave at woodstock I have to miss it?

I've said this before, but it has been awhile ...

I'm pleased that I missed the Wave experience, and certainly would not want to experience strong wave in a Falcon.

I heard (second hand) of one pilot yesterday who couldn't penetrate and was forced to fly downwind to an LZ in the Fort valley. Another pilot (who got very high) in a high performance wing spoke of spending two hours working to penetrate back in front of launch.

Somewhere downwind of any wave there will be turbulence, often severe turbulence, rarely visible. Since waves can form upwind of the Woodstock ridge, turbulence can be encountered in front of the ridge as well as behind the ridge. Sailplanes (and Hang Gliders) have been involuntarily inverted in turbulence associated with wave.

'nuf said.
'Spark
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

On Oct 30, 2005, at 12:14 PM, Spark wrote:
I've said this before, but it has been awhile ...

I'm pleased that I missed the Wave experience, and certainly would not want to experience strong wave in a Falcon. ?
Thanks, Sparky.? I was feeling a little wimpy for my own lack of enthusiasm.? But, I'm thankful I got no more than a taste of the wave, and I had the good sense to escape it when I could.? One pilot with a U2 who had flown in the meat of it wished he'd flown his topless.? I shudder to think what my Falcon and I would have done in the same situation.

Besides, I can't fly topless--my nipples ache in the cold.

David Bodner
d.bodner@verizon.net (d.bodner@verizon.net)
(703) 516-7101
(703) 946-0123 cell
KI4AFI
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Sparky,
???? Thanks for the safety input.? As I said earlier, it can be a harrowing experience for those not prepared for it, and I add that it can be a harrowing experience even for those prepared for it.? Almost 9 years ago I stumbled into wave at Woodstock, was prepared for it by researching it, recognized it immediately, and flew upwind out of it, not before getting to 7300' MSL, 1600' above the clouds.? Luckily at this time the sky had broken up and clouds were sparse, so plenty of blue to fly into.? Wave is characterized by increasing winds aloft.? At some altitude you may not be able to penetrate since the headwind is faster than your max airspeed, so the ticket is to escape the wave.? That can be done by recognizing it quickly and flying upwind while you still can penetrate.? Spiral dives don't do you or your airframe and sail any good when the max sink you can generate is 700'/minute and the wave is going up at 1000'/minute.? Another way to escape the wave is to run off the ends of the wave.? Which is what I did by surfing a second wave in front of launch down to The Knob on Short Mountain where the wave quit.? A third way is to go downwind.? A climb to the top of the wave is safest when the only option is downwind.? This will help you avoid the rotor that is spinning below the crest of the wave.? More expert analysis can be gathered from pilots very familiar with wave, such as Nelson Lewis or John Harper.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Bacil
????