Fisher Road LZ Closed till End of Hunting Season

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Matthew

Fisher Road LZ Closed till End of Hunting Season

Post by Matthew »

Hey All,

The LZ a Fisher Road is closed unti Jan 28, 2006 because of hunting season at the order of the LZ owner. This effectively shuts the site down till then. Please pass this info on to any pilots not on the PG Pilots Server and do not fly there until after hunting season or after we have confirmation from the LZ owner that it is okay to fly there.

Thanks,

Matthew
dhenders

Fisher Rd

Post by dhenders »

Thanks for the info. Can we land at the field in front of his property?
Matthew

Fisher

Post by Matthew »

What field in front of his property??? Anna's son owns both fields-- the new primary directly in front of launch and the old secondary, the one with the power and phone lines bisecting it. The old primary, next to the road, has been closed for years.

Matthew
dhenders

Post by dhenders »

guess I shouldn'thave landed there. Can still go around the knob?
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

Or you can try landing on the road that goes up to launch (I did it once) :lol:

marc
Great Googly-moo!
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Perhaps it's just best not to fly the site?

Color me clueless, but I'm not aware of anywhere else to land. Might be a good idea to let the landowner know what you're up to if you do have an other LZ in mind. If for no other reason than his first assumption (and a reasonable one) upon seing a glider flying the site might just be "those sons of..."

$.02
Jim
Spark

Post by Spark »

jimrooney wrote:Perhaps it's just best not to fly the site?
<snipped>
$.02
Jim
Jim speaks words of wisdom.
'Spark
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

I kinda agree--except that I assume the real reason this embargo is taking place is for the benefit of hunters, i.e. so those things in the air don't spook the deer.

On the other hand, its hard to think of many other sites that are not on or adjacent to hunting areas. So should we adopt a policy of not flying over areas that are open to hunting?

I don't see the connection between a LZ land-owners request and using the launch--if other alternatives are available. I suspect that if he had a problem with us flying there at all during hunting season, then our days of using his fields are probably numbered anyway. Maybe time to start looking for other LZ possibilities.

Light up those flame-throwers,
marc
Great Googly-moo!
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

There was some talk about it being normal for hunters to tip the landowner for use of his property, which gives him extra impetus to keep us from spooking the deer. We could offer to do the same, but the confusion over who gets priority may not be worth it for only a few months out of the year.
Brian Vant-Hull