Saturday Flying?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Paul Tjaden

Saturday Flying?

Post by Paul Tjaden »

So where are the flying reports from all of you Snow Bunnies?

Paul (Bored in rainy Florida)
Kelvin Pierce

Post by Kelvin Pierce »

There was a pretty good turnout at High Rock yesterday. Conditions early on were light to moderate west cross with winds increasing as the day went on. Pilots in attendance were Daniel, Sparky, Wesley, Marc, Brian H., Danny, Carlos, Bruce (not flying because of broken arm), Hugh, Mark, John S., Linda and possibly a few others. Daniel was first to launch at 12:10. It was still fairly light then and Daniel gave it a valient try and soared for about 15-20 minutes. Wesley was next about 12:30 and several others followed soon after. I was 4th to launch and felw for just shy of an hour at between 700 to 1000' over in OK conditions. The conditions changed pretty abrubtly about 45 minutes into the flight with increased winds and fairly textured air. Most went out to land with moderately rowdy conditions around the LZ but not too bad. Most of us flew about an hour more or less. Sparky, Mark, Carlos, John S. and Linda had not flown by the time I headed home about 3:00. Conditions by then were pretty stong. Heard that Mark launced later but not sure about anyone else. All in all a pretty nice day.
Kelvin
pink_albatross

Post by pink_albatross »

Woodstock report:

About 12:30, hiked up the back (PG) with Juan, Tom and Ximena. I hiked through the snow following Juan's footsteps. Get to launch and no Juan, but his footsteps continue. I see him through the trees hiking steadily along the path. Peepee break? Nope. Still wearing his pack. I think he just got into the zone hiking. He'd probably be half way to North Carolina now if we hadn't called him back.

It was pretty darn calm. At most 3mph. And overcast. We weren't awfully motivated to fly. But then Juan decided to give it a try. He sledded. Bummer. Should we follow him or not? Eh... It was early. Ximena and I decided to go and pick up Juan.

On the hike out we met Adam and Hubble and Hubble's dad who were hiking in their gliders. They had driven up the front. "Drove???" They laughed. "yeah, you'll see our vehicle of conveyance when you get to the parking lot". At the parking lot we see an ATV with two padded 2x4s strapped on the front and the back. I would have loved to see them come up the road on that thing with three people, two harnesses and two gliders.

We also met Marcel and Corinne who were hiking up the back for their first look/flight at Woodstock.

Picked up Juan who told us a harrowing story about a big bull in the Woodstock LZ getting overly curious(upset?) at Juan's invasion of his territory.

As soon as we step back onto launch, the winds pick up. The front is rolling through. It's 3:30. A bit too much now for our taste. We look at Adam to see if he's preparing to launch. Nope. He's waiting for his pizza. Very impatiently now. Pizza? Yeah, they had pizza delivered to the gate and Hubble had jumped onto the ATV to go and pick it up.

Hubble arrived with the pizza, they snarfed down a few pieces and then jumped into their harnesses and launched.

They immediately climbed to about 500 over and then cautiously (we heard a report from HR that there was an inversion around 2500-3000) proceeded climbing. We watched them for a while, they seemed to have to pull in a bit. We waited until it looked like most of the front had passed and Juan launches.

He had no problems getting up and is soaring nicely. Using some speedbar. Hmm... He's flying a high performance PG. Probably not good for Marcel and me. Tom watched a bit and followed Juan into the air.

We watched Tom for a bit trying to discern if he was using speedbar or not. He radios down that there's a bit of wind and we'd need to be careful. We watched some more, then decided to take the plunge. Marcel was off first. Had a good launch.

My launch felt good. Decided to fly out and not chance getting stuck on the ridge (or -ack- behind). Progress is slow, but there's penetration. Climbing all the time almost out to the end of the left finger. Definite west cross. Going back to the ridge lift and wind get stronger.

Juan lands at the bridge field. No bulls there.

I try to join him, but by the time I am back at the end of the finger I'm not sure if I will make the bridgefield. Not wanting to rely on the wind getting lighter closer to the ground and maybe being wrong and landing in the Shenandoah, I turned and headed to the LZ.

Marcel (keeping the story of the bull in mind) lands in the field just west of the LZ. I land next to him. MUDDY. We were rescued by two 3 foot high tykes in wellingtons (and their mom).

Tom landed in the bridgefield as did Adam and Hubble.

We finished our day at the Springhouse.

Nice flights had by all. :-)
Thanks to Ximena for driving retrieve for us!

-- ellis
p.s. btw, the little guys' mom said the bull was nothing to worry about. That he's pretty timid. Juan looked dubious when we told him.
pink_albatross

Post by pink_albatross »

P.S.

Tom and I could hear Sparky talking at HR while we were in the air!
Pretty cool.
heaviek

Saturday Flying?

Post by heaviek »

Oh it was soooo dam good here in Santa Barbara!? Cloudbase was just below launch during set up and gliders were squeaking out below the soup here and there.? I took my turn in a clearing and boated out the center of the valley gaining rather then loosing.? Cloudbase was lower out in the front range so a couple spirals down kept me oncourse.? CB was about 3k and the back range here gets as high as 4.? Most of the triggers out front are at 2-2.5k.? Flying XC here I like to keep high as the triggers out front often don’t work well.? Get high, stay high.? Obviously with such a low cloudbase, that doesn’t work.? But it didn’t matter.? Wind is usually offshore or over the back.? All flying is done in light lee side.? Yesterday was onshore hence the buoyant air and low coudbase.? Lift was pretty easy to locate, the cloudbottoms and obvious terrain features were working in relative harmony.? EJ, John Lyon and I headed west towards the 154.? JL bailed and headed back.? Glides were very smooth and efficient close to cloudbase.? Most of the spines had a nice elevator back up to the 3k deck.? Out at the 154 I was going to head back but EJ pushed a little further and marked one down below.? I got a fast climb there and use the deck to glide back towards launch.? Back near launch coudbase had raised a bit and more gliders were setting up for fun.? I buzzed the crew and headed east to finish my lap.? Out here the deck was higher so I cruised the back spine (3-3.8k?).? The line was buoyant with fatties to park in.? I just dolphin flew for about 4 or 5 miles.? The standard lap here is the VOR to Romero Canyon.? The VOR was above cloudbase so I guessed on the west end with EJ leading the way.? Out on the east leg I wasn’t sure so I just crossed Romero Canyon and took a couple of fingers further east to the tip of Carpenteria. Pulled a U-E back to launch.? EJ was playing some Zagi combat with Tony’s Monster Zagi.? I joined in for a couple of rounds until I caught myself mushing downwind towards the ridge.? OK, enough of that game.?
?
The need to relieve was busting out of many places but I had forgotten to unzip on launch.? One handed/chin gliding, remove a glove, find a zipper…the rest is too much info.? Feeling great now I had new vigor for lap two.? This time there were no other gliders on course, only the cloudbase pylons near launch.? At the west end a curious cloud pulled me further out and into the valley before the tractor beam got me to hover level.? Now that it was later, there were more good glide lines in front of the range, but at the end of those, I would have to dive quickly back towards the ridge.? The air was getting more predictable and covering ground was speeding up.? The spines worked when up close, and occasionally I would find a fat one between fingers.? Even still, I got stuck a second time near launch.? This time I realized that the umbilical ?pilots boating around were very bad markers.? They were the thermal “has beens” and leading me to areas that had already cycled down.? After about 15 or 20 minutes of clawing I was happily back at hoover-ville and yo yoed out to Romero Canyon again.?? The air was just so readable!? This time CB had dropped about a thousand feet and I had to cross this intimidating canyon more out front.? Thankfully the spines on BOTH sides were working well so it was no drama.? Once again at the tip of Carpenteria I pulled a U-E and headed back.? There were no pilots left to play with and a handful of semi broken down gliders in the LZ.? The OD was now extending even further out over town and the sun was pretty low.? The need to relieve had me seeing cross eyed so I was ready to deck it.? No love from the sink demons (amazing that far out front it was still lifting) so I fought her down.? Landing in Parma always has some drama potential.? This time with many pilots and a large group of Hashers (running club) downing beers under the breakdown tree.? There is not much room to get creative landing in a field shaped like an aircraft carrier only smaller. ?Actually, it resembles a shallow slot launch with a narrow downhill end.? Adding to the excitement the heavy rains caused a small ravine to open up at the slot opening.? The fence posts and streamers delineating the hole make a tight spot even tighter. ?West wind = Upper field and if it has any velocity, come in high.? I have been coming in too low lately and landing shorter then necessary.? The west was cancelled by the lift in the area and I found myself trying to thread the goal posts too high. ?S turns were? not a good option because the slot is too narrow and my roll rate too slow.? So here is the interesting part.? I was still a 1 to 2 glide to my target roundout spot at about 150 feet.? ?I extended my base a short way and kissed a stall while turning.? The kiss killed the altitude, turned me where I wanted to be, and gave me my dive for speed.? ?Swooped her down into G.E. for a nice touchdown halfway up the field.? The crowd was pleased.? So, here is my point.?
?
Moves like that can be a real stupid stunt, but you never know when calling on unique skills can turn a potentially dangerous situation (trying roll reversals low where there isn’t enough room much less room for error) into a comfortable margin.? Knowing the wider performance envelope of your glider can come in handy.? Stalling, stalling in turns, mellow wingovers….practicing moves that can all play a role in safe flying.? The anti-aerobatics crowd is missing part of the picture.? I’m not talking about the eternal quest for inverted flight and going beyond certification limits, just the stuff beyond cruising up and down the range in ridge lift.? Turbulence can easily kick you to 90 degrees or more.? Obstacles can demand evasive action beyond that full weight shift slipping turn.? It’s good to be ready.
?
Kev C
?

Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2005 5:26 AM
To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
Subject: Saturday Flying?

?
So where are the flying reports from all of you Snow Bunnies?

Paul (Bored in rainy Florida)
mcelrah

Saturday Flying?

Post by mcelrah »

I think I was the last to launch at 1:20 (Mark may have launched a
couple of hours later...) Many thanks to Professor Sparks, Mark
Cavanaugh, and Carlos Weill for launch crewing/advising in conditions
which had begun to ramp up. After I zipped up, I headed north along
the ridge and pulled on 80% VG. Needed it all to crab back to launch
against the west cross. It was active flying, but I was comfortable at
300-600 over. After Kelvin, Mark Fink and others had been on the
ground for awhile, I overheard a conversation they had with Mark
Cavanaugh indicating they had felt it was too rowdy to be fun,
reporting uncommanded turns, etc. Having learned that if the smart
guys are bailing, I should, too - and having been in the air for 45
minutes or more - I considered going out to land. Right about then, I
got turned strongly such that after fighting it for 120 degrees, I
decided to just go for the 360. This happened twice, confirming the
smart guys' judgment. Found lots of lift on the way, reaching 750
above launch. This gave me plenty of time to get rid of VG, unzip and
plan my approach. With reports of crosswind in the LZ, I was uncertain
whether to land the "other" way, but both GPS and eyeball confirmed the
normal pattern, so I set up for a corner-to-corner final to address the
crosswind. Cleared the whack dip and made a mental note not to throw a
big flare lest I pop up in the strong wind. Turned out the gradient
was in effect and I should have flared harder. Ended up (as often
happens to me) running along behind the glider as it flew to the
ground, then the wheels must have stuck in the mud, 'cause my hand bent
the right down tube neatly in half. (On reflection, what really
happened was probably that the DT folded laterally and it just felt
like a gentle push buckled it forward.) - Hugh

On 27 Feb 2005, at 10:01, Kelvin Pierce wrote:

> There was a pretty good turnout at High Rock yesterday. Conditions
> early on were light to moderate west cross with winds increasing as
> the day went on. Pilots in attendance were Daniel, Sparky, Wesley,
> Marc, Brian H., Danny, Carlos, Bruce (not flying because of broken
> arm), Hugh, Mark, John S., Linda and possibly a few others. Daniel was
> first to launch at 12:10. It was still fairly light then and Daniel
> gave it a valient try and soared for about 15-20 minutes. Wesley was
> next about 12:30 and several others followed soon after. I was 4th to
> launch and felw for just shy of an hour at between 700 to 1000' over
> in OK conditions. The conditions changed pretty abrubtly about 45
> minutes into the flight with increased winds and fairly textured air.
> Most went out to land with moderately rowdy conditions around the LZ
> but not too bad. Most of us flew about an hour more or less. Sparky,
> Mark, Carlos, John S. and Linda had not flown by the time I headed
> home about 3:00. Conditions by then were pretty stong. Heard that Mark
> launced later but not sure about anyone else. All in all a pretty nice
> day.
>
>
>
> Kelvin
>
>
>
>
mcelrah

Saturday Flying?

Post by mcelrah »

Woo Hoo - sounds great. Can't wait to fly out there someday... - Hugh
On 27 Feb 2005, at 14:45, Kevin wrote:

> Oh it was soooo dam good here in Santa Barbara!? Cloudbase was just
> below launch during set up and gliders were squeaking out below the
> soup here and there.? I took my turn in a clearing and boated out the
> center of the valley gaining rather then loosing.? Cloudbase was lower
> out in the front range so a couple spirals down kept me oncourse.? CB
> was about 3k and the back range here gets as high as 4.? Most of the
> triggers out front are at 2-2.5k.? Flying XC here I like to keep high
> as the triggers out front often don?t work well.? Get high, stay
> high.? Obviously with such a low cloudbase, that doesn?t work.? But it
> didn?t matter.? Wind is usually offshore or over the back.? All flying
> is done in light lee side.? Yesterday was onshore hence the buoyant
> air and low coudbase.? Lift was pretty easy to locate, the
> cloudbottoms and obvious terrain features were working in relative
> harmony.? EJ, John Lyon and I headed west towards the 154.? JL bailed
> and headed back.? Glides were very smooth and efficient close to
> cloudbase.? Most of the spines had a nice elevator back up to the 3k
> deck.? Out at the 154 I was going to head back but EJ pushed a little
> further and marked one down below.? I got a fast climb there and use
> the deck to glide back towards launch.? Back near launch coudbase had
> raised a bit and more gliders were setting up for fun.? I buzzed the
> crew and headed east to finish my lap.? Out here the deck was higher
> so I cruised the back spine (3-3.8k?).? The line was buoyant with
> fatties to park in.? I just dolphin flew for about 4 or 5 miles.? The
> standard lap here is the VOR to Romero Canyon.? The VOR was above
> cloudbase so I guessed on the west end with EJ leading the way.? Out
> on the east leg I wasn?t sure so I just crossed Romero Canyon and took
> a couple of fingers further east to the tip of Carpenteria. Pulled a
> U-E back to launch.? EJ was playing some Zagi combat with Tony?s
> Monster Zagi.? I joined in for a couple of rounds until I caught
> myself mushing downwind towards the ridge.? OK, enough of that game.?
> ?
> The need to relieve was busting out of many places but I had
> forgotten to unzip on launch.? One handed/chin gliding, remove a
> glove, find a zipper?the rest is too much info.? Feeling great now I
> had new vigor for lap two.? This time there were no other gliders on
> course, only the cloudbase pylons near launch.? At the west end a
> curious cloud pulled me further out and into the valley before the
> tractor beam got me to hover level.? Now that it was later, there were
> more good glide lines in front of the range, but at the end of those,
> I would have to dive quickly back towards the ridge.? The air was
> getting more predictable and covering ground was speeding up.? The
> spines worked when up close, and occasionally I would find a fat one
> between fingers.? Even still, I got stuck a second time near launch.?
> This time I realized that the umbilical ?pilots boating around were
> very bad markers.? They were the thermal ?has beens? and leading me to
> areas that had already cycled down.? After about 15 or 20 minutes of
> clawing I was happily back at hoover-ville and yo yoed out to Romero
> Canyon again.?? The air was just so readable!? This time CB had
> dropped about a thousand feet and I had to cross this intimidating
> canyon more out front.? Thankfully the spines on BOTH sides were
> working well so it was no drama.? Once again at the tip of Carpenteria
> I pulled a U-E and headed back.? There were no pilots left to play
> with and a handful of semi broken down gliders in the LZ.? The OD was
> now extending even further out over town and the sun was pretty low.?
> The need to relieve had me seeing cross eyed so I was ready to deck
> it.? No love from the sink demons (amazing that far out front it was
> still lifting) so I fought her down.? Landing in Parma always has some
> drama potential.? This time with many pilots and a large group of
> Hashers (running club) downing beers under the breakdown tree.? There
> is not much room to get creative landing in a field shaped like an
> aircraft carrier only smaller. ?Actually, it resembles a shallow slot
> launch with a narrow downhill end.? Adding to the excitement the heavy
> rains caused a small ravine to open up at the slot opening.? The fence
> posts and streamers delineating the hole make a tight spot even
> tighter. ?West wind = Upper field and if it has any velocity, come in
> high.? I have been coming in too low lately and landing shorter then
> necessary.? The west was cancelled by the lift in the area and I found
> myself trying to thread the goal posts too high. ?S turns were? not a
> good option because the slot is too narrow and my roll rate too slow.?
> So here is the interesting part.? I was still a 1 to 2 glide to my
> target roundout spot at about 150 feet.? ?I extended my base a short
> way and kissed a stall while turning.? The kiss killed the altitude,
> turned me where I wanted to be, and gave me my dive for speed.?
> ?Swooped her down into G.E. for a nice touchdown halfway up the
> field.? The crowd was pleased.? So, here is my point.?
> ?
> Moves like that can be a real stupid stunt, but you never know when
> calling on unique skills can turn a potentially dangerous situation
> (trying roll reversals low where there isn?t enough room much less
> room for error) into a comfortable margin.? Knowing the wider
> performance envelope of your glider can come in handy.? Stalling,
> stalling in turns, mellow wingovers?.practicing moves that can all
> play a role in safe flying.? The anti-aerobatics crowd is missing part
> of the picture.? I?m not talking about the eternal quest for inverted
> flight and going beyond certification limits, just the stuff beyond
> cruising up and down the range in ridge lift.? Turbulence can easily
> kick you to 90 degrees or more.? Obstacles can demand evasive action
> beyond that full weight shift slipping turn.? It?s good to be ready.
> ?
> Kev C
> ?
>
> From: Paul Tjaden [mailto:tjadenhors@aol.com]
> Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2005 5:26 AM
> To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
> Subject: Saturday Flying?
>
> ?
> So where are the flying reports from all of you Snow Bunnies?
>
> Paul (Bored in rainy Florida)
>
>
>
>
>