Camping at HG Sites

For non-flying fun with pilots, friends, and family.
Ski trips, Ethiopean-nights, movies, biking, climbing... All that fun stuff you can't do in the sky.

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

drice21037

Camping at HG Sites

Post by drice21037 »

I'd like to have a camping option for each of the mountain sites. For some it's easy, for others it's probably also easy but I don't know for sure. So rather than do this hastily some Thursday afternoon, I'd like to work it out now so when the opportunity arises, I can just go. Here's what I've got so far.

Pulpit - Camp at launch. No need to tell anyone. No need to worry about leaving my Jeep anywhere. Bar next door. What more could you ask for?

High Rock - Can we camp in the LZ? How do Harry and Emma Jane feel about that?

Woodstock - According to the website for the Lee Ranger district of the George Washington National forest, we can camp anywhere we want with only a few reasonable restrictions. It doesn't sound like we'd need a permit or to check in with a ranger or anything. Do I have that right? If I were to camp near launch how safe would my Jeep be out on the road?

Bill's Hill - I think camping is allowed but you may have to check in or register with the rangers. Does anyone know for sure?

Fisher's - Same as Bill's?

Jack's - No idea. But far enough away that I, being a baby, would have to camp if I was going to fly there.

Any other sites that should be considered? Fairground? Zirks? Sacremento?

What do you all think?
Dave
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

I think the carbaughs are fine with pilots camping out anytime, but since it's so close most of us don't bother except during fly-ins. Polite to stop in and mention you're there so they don't get surprised.

I once saw a tent set up in the woodstock launch area. Must have had the mother of all camping pads.

Jack's is about an hour from the Pulpit, Bill's and Fisher is only about half an hour, so use the Pulpit as base. Fisher's gets so little non HG traffic that I don't think it matters if it's 'allowed' or not, and come to think of it, that would be a lovely place to camp. But no firepit.
Brian Vant-Hull
markc

Post by markc »

I've camped at both Fisher and Bill's, near launch. Never
had an issue with rangers/foresters. I don't think you'll have
any problem at either of those sites Dave.

Mark C.