Memorial Service for Bill Priday

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Holly

Post by Holly »

I received a call from Tex earlier today and he's asked me to pass along the following information.

A memorial service for Bill Priday will be held this coming Monday, October 10th at 1 PM. It will be held at the old Hanover Firehouse which is located at the intersection of Rt 360 (aka Mechanicsville Tpke) and New Bethesda Rd in Mechanicsville, VA. Dress is casual. Bill's family will be in attendance and has invited all of his friends to join them.

4428 Mechanicsville Tpke
Mechanicsville, VA 23111-6401

For additional information, you can speak with Nick & Sandy Martina (two of Bill's closest friends) who can be reached at their home number: (804) 741-9258.

Scott and I will be there and hope that some of you are able to make it down as well.
Holly

Address Correction

Post by Holly »

It seems I used the address for the new Hanover Fire Department. The Old Firehouse is located right next door at:

8493 New Bethesda Road (just off Rt. 360),
Mechanicsville, VA 23116

The memorial service will be held at the Old Firehouse.

Holly
Lauren Tjaden

Post by Lauren Tjaden »

Holly,
Thanks for the info. For those of us who can't make the memorial service, is there an address where we can send a sympathy card? Also, is there?a cause that Bill's family would like donations made to in his memory? Please let us know.
I am sure our able Prez, Daniel, will attend to it, but the club also needs to send flowers or something else appropriate to the service in his name.
Lauren

Holly <holly.korzilius@gmail.com> wrote:
I received a call from Tex earlier today and he's asked me to pass along the following information.

A memorial service for Bill Priday will be held this coming Monday, October 10th at 1 PM. It will be held at the old Hanover Firehouse which is located at the intersection of Rt 360 (aka Mechanicsville Tpke) and New Bethesda Rd in Mechanicsville, VA. Dress is casual. Bill's family will be in attendance and has invited all of his friends to join them.

4428 Mechanicsville Tpke (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?se ... A&zipcode=)

For additional information, you can speak with Nick & Sandy Martina (two of Bill's closest friends) who can be reached at their home number: (804) 741-9258.

Scott and I will be there and hope that some of you are able to make it down as well.
Yahoo! for Good
Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.
Holly

Where to send cards

Post by Holly »

For those of us who can't make the memorial service, is there an address where we can send a sympathy card? Also, is there a cause that Bill's family would like donations made to in his memory?
In response to Lauren's questions above, I am posting an email I received from Sandi.

Holly
---------------ORIGINAL MESSAGE----------------
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 10:38 PM
To: Holly N. Korzilius
Subject: Re: ListServ post about Bill's memorial service

Thanks again Holly. After reading other posts here's Bill's obituary we wrote today to be printed in tomorrows Richmond Times Dispatch:

PRIDAY
William "Bill" F. Priday, 52, of Richmond died Saturday, October 1, 2005. Born in Presque Isle, Maine, he is survived by parents, Allen C. and Viola F. Priday; brother, Michael A. Priday and wife Carolyn; sisters, Marcy Mayes, Deanna Priday; son, William B. Priday; daughters, Abigail M. Chaney, Anna Grace Priday; his grandchildren, Kaylynn, Ashley, Austin, Tanner; many neices and nephews and everyone he touched. He was taken from us suddenly and is deeply missed. A loving son, brother, father and "Peepaw", Bill was a dedicated employee, accomplished musician and generous friend. He enjoyed hiking, camping, fly fishing and especially his latest passion, hang gliding. We will miss his endless enthusiasm and bright smile. Celebration of Life to be held 1:00 p.m. Monday, October 10, 2005, at The Old Firehouse, 8493 New Bethesda Road (just off Rt. 360) in Mechanicsville, VA. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made in Bill's memory to National Public Radio and Save The Music Foundation. Wish you were here . . .

His address is 1521 Village Grove Road, Richmond, Virginia 23238, cards can be addressed to his family.

Thank you again for your (and Scott's) help. We miss him so much ...

Sandi
Scott

Post by Scott »

[Daniel Shapiro, a Richmond-area pilot who was with us in Tennessee, asked me to post the following for him. SW]

For any pilots that are thinking of coming to Richmond for Bill Priday's memorial, if you need a place to stay, let me know. I live in Mechanicsville, not far from where the memorial is being held and we have a couple of guest rooms and some couches and plenty of floor space. So, if you'd like to come and need a place to stay, give me a call or send an email.

phone: 804-512-5226
email: hawkeye@shensoft.com
CraginS

Carpool? Re: Memorial Service for Bill Priday

Post by CraginS »

My current plan is to start Monday morning at my office in McLean/ Tyson's Corner, and depart there at about 10:00 a.m. heading to Mechanicsville. I appreciate Daniel's kind offer of a sleepover site, but need to be back for work Tuesday, so will be coming back home Monday afternoon or evening, specific time optional.
Does anyone in the McLean / Springfield arc of NoVA want to carpool down?

Cragin
703-922-6472 (home)
cragin_sh(AT)yahoo.com

[quote="Holly"]I received a call from Tex earlier today and he's asked me to pass along the following information.

Scott and I will be there and hope that some of you are able to make it down as well.[/quote]
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

Good morning.

Per his family's wishes and in lieu of flowers, CHGPA has made donations in Bill's memory to the Save the Music Foundation and to radio station WCVE, the Richmond-area NPR affiliate. We have also sent a sympathy card addressed to Bill's family offering our collective condolences.

I encourage everyone to do the same (see info below): your kind words and gestures will be a source of comfort to Bill's loved ones. Please also remember to send Scott your remembrances for the Skyline memorial.

~Daniel

Scott's e-mail: sw@shadepine.com

Family of Bill Priday
4428 Mechanicsville Tpke

Save the Music Foundation: http://www.vh1.com/partners/save_the_music/home.html

WCVE FM:
http://www.ideastations.org/wcvefm
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

P.S. Thank you Holly and Scott for sharing the memorial information.

Thanks also to everyone at the meet who had the horrible job of notifying Bill's family as well as packing up and returning to them his belongings: Scott and Holly, Daniel Shapiro, Hank & Karma, Bruce, Rance and Linda. I'm sure you feel like you just did what had to be done, but I just want to aknowledge that I know you went through hell and that you must be hurting.

~Daniel
theflyingdude

Re: Memorial Service for Bill Priday

Post by theflyingdude »

hang_pilot wrote:P.S. Thank you Holly and Scott for sharing the memorial information.

Thanks also to everyone at the meet who had the horrible job of notifying Bill's family as well as packing up and returning to them his belongings: Scott and Holly, Daniel Shapiro, Hank & Karma, Bruce, Rance and Linda. I'm sure you feel like you just did what had to be done, but I just want to aknowledge that I know you went through hell and that you must be hurting.

~Daniel
I too, would like to acknowledge the service that Scott, Holly, Linda, Daniel, Hank, Karma, Rance, and anyone else involved did on behalf of Bill and his family. To have been that close to the tragedy and then to have to deal with the aftermath must have been emotionally devastating.

I would also encourage everyone who doesn't have a will, living will, and medical directive to consider preparing these documents so their wishes can be communicated in the event they are incapacitated or otherwise unable do express them themselves. In many states, you don't need a lawyer to prepare these documents. I've used software called Family Lawyer that's sold based upon the state in which you live. It includes templates and advice on writing your own will, living will, medical directives and a variety of other legal documents. It was fairly inexpensive ($45) and my personal attorney has reviewed the documents and suggested that they meet the requirements of my state (Maryland).

Another suggestion would be to tell your family and relatives of your wishes while you can and to make sure they know where to find your legal documents. Hopefully, you won't need them for a long time to come, but planning ahead will save your loved ones the agony of having to make decisions on your behalf without knowing your wishes.

JR
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

The request to make a donation to NPR in Bill's memory brought tears to my eyes. That is so totally Bill.

Unfortunately I'll be out of the country during the memorial service, but the donation feels so right it helps me feel better.
Brian Vant-Hull