Final Words on Wire Crew Vigilance

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Scott

Final Words on Wire Crew Vigilance

Post by Scott »

For the record (since obviously many people think otherwise)...
1. I recognize the pilot bears sole responsibility for his/her own actions. I always have, and never said anything otherwise. (Re-read my posts if you think I did.)
2. I do not blame Bill's wire crew for his death. I never did. (Re-read my posts if you think I do blame the wire crew.)

Now that we've cleared that up...because my original posts were misinterpreted (through a combination of my word choice and others' misreading), I wrote a clear statement of my call for wire crew vigilance. I've posted this on the Oz Report forum and have already received positive feedback. I'll also send it to USHGA for publication in the next magazine.

NOTE: the following statement is not intended as criticism of CHGPA nor any pilot nor wire crew member in CHGPA. Any interpretation of it in this way is strictly due the reader's own personal issues.

-----
A Call For Wire Crew Vigilance

Bill Priday's death at the Team Challenge was entirely his fault. I was there and saw it happen, and coming to terms with this has been difficult.

I understand and accept the fundamental fact that every pilot bears ultimate responsibility for his/her own safety. This code of personal responsibility is necessary not only to help ensure our own safety, but also to avoid legal complications after an accident.

But I believe this code of pilot responsibility has a down side. By endlessly chanting "the pilot is responsible, the pilot is responsible" we diminish---perhaps subconsciously---the critical need for wire crews to be vigilant and watch the pilot's back. We've created a culture in which---sometimes---people simply care less when they're on a wire crew, because they've had "the pilot is responsible for everything" pounded into their heads from day one.

Bill's accident was his fault entirely. I accept that. I cannot, however, simply ignore the fact that had just one of the people on launch with him looked for his carabiner, he'd still be alive.

It is my heartfelt opinion that as pilots, each of us should exercise the same care and vigilance when we are wire crew members as we do when we are the one in the control frame.

To my surprise, several people in my local club blasted me for this opinion, making statements like "You can't rely on your wire crew to catch your own mistakes." I was deeply saddened that these people failed to see my point.

As a wire crew member, being more vigilant, and doing our own checks of the pilot's harness connections, glider integrity, etc. in no way diminishes the burden of responsibility on the pilot. To suggest that it does is illogical and absurd.

Clearly, some of my fellow club members' kneejerk reactions to my statement reflect their almost religious conviction to "the pilot is always responsible"---a conviction that blinds them to the obvious need for wire crew vigilance.

I do not blame Bill's wire crew for his death. And it is not a suggestion of blame to state that had they been more vigilant, he might not have died.

It takes a community to ensure our safety. Emphasizing the need for wire crews to be vigilant---while continuing to emphasize the pilot's ultimate responsibility---improves overall safety. To suggest that it doesn't is reckless. Some of my club members suggested that if a pilot is aware he/she has other people checking on them before launch, that pilot is more likely to be slack and make mistakes. If this is true, then that pilot would have made those mistakes regardless---underscoring the need for a backup set of eyes and hands.

It goes without saying that using non-pilots as wire crew is---in my opinion---potentially dangerous (aside from insurance issues).

Though I know the pilot bears ultimate responsibility, whenever I serve on a wire crew, I will obligate myself to do anything I can to ensure that pilot's safety. As long as that pilot is on the ground, I can perform any safety checks the pilot can, and I can certainly ask the pilot to do a hang check if there were no witnesses to the pilot's earlier hang check (assuming they did one).

In this way, I know that I will be improving the safety of that pilot's flight by backing up his/her own safety checks. We are all human, and no matter how rigorous our preflight and pre-launch routines, any of us can make mistakes.

Scott Wilkinson
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

I'd say you now have it exactly right. We as a community should try to do better and individually accept responsibility as wire crew, but we cannot rain down anger/blame on those on a wire crew who through some sort of negligence failed to prevent an accident. They must handle their own guilt.

Nothing more need be said.
Brian Vant-Hull
Scott

Post by Scott »

brianvh wrote:I'd say you now have it exactly right.

I'm glad you agree Brian. Hopefully others will too. And actually, I had it exactly right all along---I've never changed my position---it was just misinterpreted. :)

Scott