The way it outa be

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

stevek

The way it outa be

Post by stevek »

One last attempt.

We have now rounded up all the usual suspects and promised renewed vigilence, 9 page checklists, hang checks every 6 ft etc. Bob G redux.

A hang check is part of preflighting your equipment. You do it in the set up area not on the launch or the ramp. When you get in line you are hooked in and ready to go. No going down for a hang check cum hook in check. A hook in check is a procedure that every pilot performs on his own. Having another pilot hold the nose is not an acceptable hook in check. (because it requires another person). Your wire crew does not ask you anything unless they see something wrong. "do you know you are not hooked in?"

The point is to emphasize that this is all the pilots responsibility; that you cannot rely on other people. We are better off promoting that ethic.
Matthew

Hook In

Post by Matthew »

Yes, doing a hook-in check as well as a pre-flight is the pilot's responsibility. But if someone askes me for launch assisitance (wire crew) or even asks for help moving to launch, I'm going to aks if they've done a hang check and then I'm going to look to make sure that the pilot is hooked in. I'm still going to do this even if I'm asked to grab a wire after a person has moved to launch. If I'm part of the launch crew then I feel responsible. So if you need help from me at launch, expect me to ask if you've done a hang check and for me to look to make sure you are hooked in.

And despite Steve's misgivings of CHGPA members watching each other's backs, I hope others asked to assist in a launch will confirm a hook in of the pilot. I disagree with Steve's conclusion. I think that the way we watch each other's back re-inforces the importance of doing a hang check and making sure that you are hooked in.

Matthew
Flying Lobster

Re: The way it outa be

Post by Flying Lobster »

stevek wrote:One last attempt.

We have now rounded up all the usual suspects and promised renewed vigilence, 9 page checklists, hang checks every 6 ft etc. Bob G redux.

A hang check is part of preflighting your equipment. You do it in the set up area not on the launch or the ramp. When you get in line you are hooked in and ready to go. No going down for a hang check cum hook in check. A hook in check is a procedure that every pilot performs on his own. Having another pilot hold the nose is not an acceptable hook in check. (because it requires another person). Your wire crew does not ask you anything unless they see something wrong. "do you know you are not hooked in?"

The point is to emphasize that this is all the pilots responsibility; that you cannot rely on other people. We are better off promoting that ethic.
Well Steve, ahem, cough, cough--there was that time I caught that pilot you know VERY well poised to launch at High Rock--but unhooked from his glider.

marc
Great Googly-moo!
Gene

Hooked in?

Post by Gene »

I know for a fact that I have been asked by others if I was hooked in. At HR, Pulpit, Bills, Jacks and WS. Good group of people, watching and helping others. Glider looks clean, vario on, hooked in, wait - wait - wait, the streamers are swirling. Look at the tree tops, smooth, oh yeah, nice cycle now. Take your time, relax. Thanks Sparky, Steve K, Bruce, BVH, Mathew, Hank, Ellis and others I can't remember. Gene
Richard Hays

The way it outa be

Post by Richard Hays »

Don't forget the leg straps too. Ironically....Brad Hays launched off of
Whitwell without being in his leg straps. The only thing that kept him from
squirting thru the harness was the safety backstrap on his HES harness. The
harness rode up to his armpits, as he flew to the LZ. Pretty scary.

Many modern "POD" style harness ( which I favor and promote ) do not have
this feature.

Rich
>From: "Matthew" <adventuretales@yahoo.com>
>Reply-To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
>To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
>Subject: The way it outa be
>Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 10:38:09 -0400
>
>Yes, doing a hook-in check as well as a pre-flight is the pilot's
>responsibility. But if someone askes me for launch assisitance (wire crew)
>or even asks for help moving to launch, I'm going to aks if they've done a
>hang check and then I'm going to look to make sure that the pilot is hooked
>in. I'm still going to do this even if I'm asked to grab a wire after a
>person has moved to launch. If I'm part of the launch crew then I feel
>responsible. So if you need help from me at launch, expect me to ask if
>you've done a hang check and for me to look to make sure you are hooked in.
>
>And despite Steve's misgivings of CHGPA members watching each other's
>backs, I hope others asked to assist in a launch will confirm a hook in of
>the pilot. I disagree with Steve's conclusion. I think that the way we
>watch each other's back re-inforces the importance of doing a hang check
>and making sure that you are hooked in.
>
>
>Matthew