Woodstock Saturday, October 28

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

krryerson

Woodstock Saturday, October 28

Post by krryerson »

Yesterday, Saturday the 28th, was a fantastic day at Woodstock.
It was a really warm nice day and the conditions were light with four to five miles per hour W- NW winds and thermal gusts up to 10 mph.

Only two HG pilots, Bari and I, were interested in flying at Woodstock, since the XC skies forecast showed good thermals. We decided to give it a try, and it worked out well.

Although some HG pilots were worried about the light conditions at Woodstock; but, by balancing the wing correctly with a headwind on a thermal cycle and running aggressively, HG pilots shouldn't have any problems on a thermal day launching and flying at Woodstock.

I was never below the Ridge, and I found some nice thermals, and some took us up to 3600 feet. That's not bad.

Best of all, we did not need any wire help but self-launched. We also had fun flying with the paraglider pilots. More pilots in the air make it easier for everyone, and when we landed, it was not turbulent, which is why I believe that flying at Woodstock in light conditions is an option that HG pilots should consider.

One problem is that we have too many WhatsApp groups, and not everyone is included. To avoid confusion, I posted on the PA Whatsapp site that I was interested in flying at Woodstock a few days earlier and confirmed the ETA on Saturday morning.

In the future, please reach out, if you see a good forecast on a light day at Woodstock so that we can communicate better.

Lastly, check PG Tom's video, and I must say that he is a fantastic pilot and a joy to watch.

https://youtu.be/hAaihNspevo?si=npeJQDq64XtyPRLE

Knut
krryerson

Re: Woodstock Saturday, October 28

Post by krryerson »

Here is my launch too at https://m.youtube.com/shorts/kSj7v8VvqWk
Knut
silverwings

Re: Woodstock Saturday, October 28

Post by silverwings »

Nice Knut!
john middleton (202)409-2574 c