Florida Hangglider competitions April-May

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

krryerson

Florida Hangglider competitions April-May

Post by krryerson »

krryerson

Re: Florida Hangglider competitions April-May

Post by krryerson »

I am down in Florida for the competitions.
On Friday, two pre-comp pilots flew almost to Georgia, over 100 miles.
Sunday was our first comp day.
Davi's writeups sum it up all.
Excellent being here, and I hope for many flying days.

“ First Task 2023 Paradise Airsports Nationals

The cumulus clouds did not show up early on Sunday, the first day of the competition, as they had the previous two days. While this was true north of Interstate 4 in central Florida there was also the “lake effect” with Lake Apopka suppressing the lift downwind with the wind out of the east northeast. So it was blue overhead at Wilotree Park and not that inviting.

The safety committee was concerned about the wind speed and the gusts. It was 10 mph gusting to 20 mph at the Leesburg Airport eighteen miles to our north. They were making measurements and holding off the launch. It wasn’t clear if the day would be called or not. The 1 pm scheduled launch was on hold as the clock ticked past 2 PM.

As we waited the cu’s started forming after 1 PM and there were some especially good looking ones not too far to our north, an east/west cloud street with thick looking clouds.

At 2:15 the safety committee decided that the winds were light enough, so launch was to be opened at 2:45 PM. This delay was quite fortuitous as we had actually waited long enough while waiting for the winds to drop off for the day to get soarable.

I was the sixth pilot to launch and Kacey pulled me up. It’s especially easy to communicate with her as she watches the hang glider pilot in her mirrors. I signaled to her to head straight north, instead of north northeast, to go directly to the east/west cloud street that we had seen from the launch area.

I had to pin off south of highway 50 because I was about 75 feet below the maximum tow height and the cloud street was about 2 kilometers to the north. I glided toward it over less than hospitable areas for landing that would have required me to go back south of highway 50 if I didn’t find the lift.

The cu bottoms were dark and I found lift at 120 fpm at 1,900’ slightly downwind of a small open field in the midst of the swamp. The wind was blowing 11 mph out of the east northeast and I was happy to be going up even slowly under the cloud street that stretched for almost six kilometers as I was also headed towards more open fields for landing, if required.

Thermaling under the dark cu’s in the street was reassuring as I felt that I could find stronger lift. At 2,500’ south of Mascotte, just south of highway 50 I found 300 fpm on average and climbed to 4,500’ as I left the 5 km start cylinder at 3:11 PM. I continued thermaling to cloud base at 5,000’.

While the cloud street had ended there were isolated cu’s to the northwest and I headed for them. I was alone but I could occasionally see two pilots who had launched. before me ahead of me.

I was able to find good lift over 250 fpm on average to 5,000’ at the thermal just south of the nursery at Sloans Ridge on highway 50, then just north of the mines south of Center Hill, the town which was our first turnpoint.

Heading south from the Center Hill turnpoint at 4,200’ I headed toward the western edge of a series of cu’s upwind of the course line that headed for the lumber mill at the intersection of highways 471 and 50. It was blue over the course line.

While the cu’s looked dark underneath I wasn’t able to find more than 150 fpm so I kept going after a turn or two south to the next cu until I got near the last ones by highway 50 east of the intersection.

Down to 2,400’ I found 340 fpm on average and climbed through the second turnpoint cylinder to 3,900’ before heading toward a dark cu on the west of the lumber yard.

The first turn under the bottom of the cu didn’t do it and I had to head south along the downwind edge of the cu for over a kilometer before I found the good lift at 3,500’. At 320 fpm I was soon back to cloud base at 5,000’.

The next turnpoint was the three kilometer cylinder to the west northwest at Kokee east of interstate 75 and I arrived there at 4,400’ before heading to the northeast to the good looking cu’s between Kokee and Lake Panosofkee, our next turnpoint. Under nearest cu I found 340 fpm to 5,500’ as cloud base was rising.

John Simon came in 500’ – 1,000’ under me as I climbed out. I hadn’t seen him since I was near Center Hill. It was nice to see I might have some help as I headed north.

After an almost 6 kilometer glide as I nudged up against the 11 mph east northeast wind, I got to the next cu and climbed out at 260 fpm to 5,500’ with John right with me.

I was a bit downwind (west) of the course line and headed north northeast past the east side Bushnell. It was another 6 kilometers to the next cu which only provided weak lift as Larry Bunner came in under me. John Simon was a bit further east.

We both headed north at 3,700’ but John was falling a bit faster. After about 3 kilometers I saw John turning to my east and came in under him. Climbing at 270 fpm to 4,600’ I received a message on my Blade that I had enough altitude to make goal.

I headed to the turnpoint at Lake Panosofkee and then turned to go south to the goal at Cheryl. John was just out in front. He arrived at goal at 2,500’ and I at 1,900’.

There was a huge field to the west of goal on the east side of Bushnell and we landed there as the goal field is north south and very restricted east west. But on landing the wind was light out of the north northeast.

The landowners were very happy to see us as they brought out half a dozen little kids in their John Deer Gator.”

More to come...
krryerson

Re: Florida Hangglider competitions April-May

Post by krryerson »

Saturday, April 29th.

The last day of the first comp week was canceled today.

We flew four days out of 7 and 3 of the days were good.

I made it to goal on task 3, flying 40 km, 2,16 hours.

Monday will be the second week, and the weather looks good for next week's HG competition.

John Simon, MD, won the first-week comp. Amazing flying!

Chris Bruno, Pa, flew really well on Tasks 1 and 4, staying in the air for over 4 hours for the last task, trying to get back to goal on an 80km task.

Unfortunately lost my 360 in the swap, during aerotowing, so this is the only video I got for now.

https://youtube.com/shorts/QFbw-ikFSfs?feature=share

Here is the weather forecast from Davis for today:

“Morning Soaring Forecast for Saturday, April 29th, 2023, Wilotree Park

NWS

Today

A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms between 11am and 2pm, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 2pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 90. South wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms. 

Afternoon hourly forecast:11 mph south slightly southwest wind rising to 20 mph with gusts to 25 mph, cloud cover 56% rising to 76%, 18% chance of rain.rising to 60% at 2 PM and 72% at 5 PM

NAM 12:

1 PM:

Surface wind: 11 mph south slightly southwest, 2,000' wind 13 mph, TOL wind 16 mph
Updraft velocity: 720 fpm (HRRR 3 - 460 fpm)
TOL: 6,200' (HRRR 3 - 4,600')
CB: 4,100' (HRRR 3 - 0')
B/S: 7.5 (HRRR 3 - 4.7)
HRRR 3 winds - 11 mph south surface, 15 mph, 2,000', 16 mph at TOL south southwest

4 PM:

Surface wind: 12 mph south, 2,000' wind 19 mph, TOL wind 20 mph
Updraft velocity:340 fpm (HRRR 3 - 0 fpm)
TOL: 0' (HRRR 3 - 160')
CB: 0'
B/S: 2.6 (HRRR 3 - 0.0)
HRRR 3 winds - 5 mph southwest surface, 23 mph, 2,000' south, 5 mph at TOL

All models have CAPE above 1,500 at 1 PM

Skew-T shows towering cu's at 3 PM CAPE 1,900

Satellite shows upper level clouds coming from the Gulf.”