Woodstock Friday Feb. 24th

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Re: Woodstock Friday Feb. 24th

Post by XCanytime »

Shenandoah County Hang Gliding
Check out my activity on Garmin Connect. #beatyesterday
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activ ... ique_id=92
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Arranged to meet Gary Smith between 3P and 4P, when the forecast showed a gradual reduction in the surface wind. Arrived at 1:45P at launch to high cirrus and moderate to very strong conditions on launch. Replaced/replenished streamers in the slot to give the ultimate picture of all airflow in the slot. Set up and waited for Gary to arrive. There were appreciable lulls in between the moderate to strong conditions during the wait. Gary arrived around 3:20P, and during a lull in the strong cycles we staged quickly and I had an excellent launch around 3:30P.

Turned right, thanked Gary w/ a shout, and headed NE to stage for an attempt to fly to KFRR. Plenty of lift on the way up. Climbed up to 3K' MSL along the way, and thought it would be cake to climb up to at least 4500' MSL and stick my butt into the wind for an easy downwind run to the airport. As I approached the Strasburg Reservoir, I concentrated on climbing up to the target of 4500' MSL. Found some lift and clung to it, but could only get up to close to 3600' MSL. Got frustrated, but my frustration was erased when I was joined by a mature bald eagle and an immature bald eagle (parent/child? pair) frolicking w/ each other just off to my left. What a neat thing to witness.

Gave up on the airport run, so I headed back to launch. Plenty of lift on the way back. Checked my watch, and saw that it was time to land, since I had to most likely climb the mountain to get my truck. And so it was to be. Had a nice approach into winds straight down the main LZ. Late flare and gentle belly flop onto the grass. Quickly broke down the glider, and headed to the top at 5:20P. Thought I could get to the top by 6:05P (just after sunset), but it took an hour to get to the top. Exhausted, but happy to be at the truck. Retrieved my stuff, and stopped by some friends' house in Winchester for 2 hours, then a 2 hour ride back home. Fun day at Woodstock. Bacil
markc

Post by markc »

Wow, sounds like the gamble on a strong day paid off. Nice job Bacil, and thanks for the write up! A bit of vicarious flying beats none at all :D