Flying Weekend of 10/7 - 10/9

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Flying Weekend of 10/7 - 10/9

Post by XCanytime »

Looking great finally on a weekend :wink: ! Friday: Woodstock if it's not too west, otherwise the Pulpit. Saturday Woodstock. Sunday Pulpit. Who can fly and when? Bacil
Bari

Re: Flying Weekend of 10/7 - 10/9

Post by Bari »

I'm in for both days. Already posted it 2 days ago :)
callen

Post by callen »

The weather at my place looks good Saturday as well if the wind is strong enough for the ridge to work. If there's some interest will push to make it work.
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

XCanytime wrote:Looking great finally on a weekend :wink: ! Friday: Woodstock if it's not too west, otherwise the Pulpit. Saturday Woodstock. Sunday Pulpit. Who can fly and when? Bacil
May be an Elizabethville day Friday and too strong at the Pulpit. Bacil
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

callen wrote:The weather at my place looks good Saturday as well if the wind is strong enough for the ridge to work. If there's some interest will push to make it work.

I'm up for Helen's Peak if the fcst for Harrisburg stays NW @ 10 MPH for Saturday. Bacil
eggzkitz

Post by eggzkitz »

In case anybody is still considering PP for tomorrow/Friday, looks like a HGR TFR will shut it down.
Jeff Eggers
CHGPA President
USHPA 82627
FCC KK4QMQ
markc

Post by markc »

Ended up at WStock today. Only-est HG for the day, but it was definitely a day for both PG and HG. Flew late afternoon, winds kinda weird/odd. Only a couple thermals to 4k and 5k-ish. Glad I went, but it was cold and strong up there.

Pulpit tomorrow, let's go!

Major thanks to Bacil for coming out to help, after a brake problem that he had to get fixed.

Some PG pics tomorrow....
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

The Pulpit turned out to be good to all the pilots that showed up yesterday. I got there at 10A to already soarable conditions on the ramp. Set up and waited for pilots to show up. Bari and Mark showed up together at 11:20A. I ended up launching soon after their arrival. Conditions on the ramp were moderate. The right wing lifted a little as I ran down the ramp, but no worries as I levelled it while flying fast away from the mountain.

In the air it was way cross from the SW. Struggled to get up, but eventually did, and did a run to the south a bit past the Rt. 16 Xing. Down there found lift out away from the mountain, and circled in broken lift to 2700' MSL, drifting back towards the main LZ. Flew back to the launch area, finding conditions much improved on the ridge than earlier.

Seeing Bari and the gang (Walt had shown up by this time) down below, yelled down "C'mon up". Loitered a bit around the launch, seeing Bari moving up to the ramp. After Bari launched, he and I headed south (w/ Viper in the lead :wink: ). I crossed the Rt. 16 Xing in anticipation of better conditions down there. By this time the sky was completely blue; earlier clouds had formed and dried up quickly. Instead of better, I found nothing but sink, sink, sink.

Got scraped off of the ridge, and committed to a field out in front on the mountain side of 7th Street. As I flew out and scoped out the terrain of the field, I saw a better field crosswind on the other side of the road, w/ a sizable wooded area bordering the east side of the field that I had to clear. Had a decision point coming up; do I go back to the original choice, or can I make it to the 2nd field (a much better field). I committed to the much better field, seeing that I could make it.

Had to do 2 S-turns to lose altitude, but had a nice fast final and finally a decent landing on my feet. Mark came and retrieved me. Thanks Mark! We had a little excitement on the hike out of the field. Hiking along a narrow corridor between the dense forest and the fence bordering the adjacent cornfield, I stepped on a rock on the initial leg of hiking out the helmet, harness, and basetube. Went back to assist Mark w/ my glider. Coming up to the same rock, I stepped on it again, and it roilled over on its side, revealing a baby Corn snake on another rock below the original. It was motionless, since I had done some damage to its head on the initial trip.

Mark took a pic of the snake for me, and we headed back up to assist Allan (a new arrival) and Walt in launching. Charlie Fager had showed up to help launches too. So Charlie, Walt, and I assisted Allan in launching. He got up easily immediately. In the meantime, Bari had landed, and Mark went to retrieve him. Once they returned, Bari, Charley, and I assisted Walt in launching, and he got up immediately as well. Soon after, both Walt and Allan had climbed up to pretty high altitudes. It had turned on nicely at this time.

To round out the pilot contingent, Doug Rogers and his wife Natalie showed up shortly after Walt's launch. Doug set up, and Charlie, Bari, and I assisted Doug in a nice launch. Doug got up w/o a problem as well. Charlie, Natalie, and I headed down to the LZ to watch the pilots land. By the time we got down there, Walt and Allan had already landed. Doug enjoyed the late evening soaring flight for another 15 to 20 minutes before he headed out and landed. This was Doug's first flight at the Pulpit in many, many moons. Bacil