Flying options for Sat20Aug : Edith's Gap?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

markc

Flying options for Sat20Aug : Edith's Gap?

Post by markc »

Looks like Edith's might have SE@10-ish by late Saturday afternoon. Granted, that's a bit light for HG... But I haven't flown there in forever so I'm planning to go, provided that the forecast does not tank. Bari (who's also interested!) mentions that the launch is in good shape.

Anyone else considering? If you can get above, it's a really nice ridge to fly. Or OTB, like the PG'ers have been doing for years now :)
Bari

Re: Flying options for Sat20Aug : Edith's Gap?

Post by Bari »

Yes, PG'ers fly it all the time, they can't get enough of it :) I plan to be there by 1-1:30PM at the LZ.
markc

Post by markc »

Let's coordinate to drop a vehicle in the LZ tomorrow Bari. Assuming I can remember how to find it! :D

(PS: No coords! That would be cheating!)
markc

Post by markc »

'Cast has lightened a bit, but we're still going (along with dozens of PG pilots I imagine). ETA in the LZ os about 1pm, maybe a bit earlier.
Bari

Post by Bari »

Mark, you have patience of a saint.

Well guys I did it :) Landed Edith's Gap LZ mid field. Landed downwind but upslope and kind of swooped under the wind gradient so had a perfect flare.

So happy.

Couldn't have done without Mark C. I owe you big time!
markc

Post by markc »

There was an early period (about 1:45 or so?) when launch conditions suddenly improved, and it was completely doable for both HG and PG wings. But I was in hem-and-haw mode, given how light conditions had been up to that point.... Prob should have slammed the Falcon together on arrival, not like it takes any effort.

Bari was motivated and started setting up. By the time he was ready to go, the window was closed: mostly cloudy and super light winds. And very cross, boucing off the left side.

I think Bari was on launch for over an hour. Nada. He had unhooked and we were planning how to maneuver past the parked cars when.... Hey, is that a cycle? Watched 10 seconds.... Bari hooked back in, we got him squared up on the launch berm.... And he was off! Had to pull in for speed in order to pop up over the trees at the bottom of the slot, but it was all foreseen/manageable.

Great approach, with a downwind/uphill landing (pretty much the only option). Looked sweet even from launch!

The PG pilots? Well, many XC miles were had, Woodstock/Strasburg/etc. Tom, Ben, George, Mo, Joe S, Felix?, others all flew.
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

Glad it worked for Bari but we still need to get Bills Hill open again and we only need some names and PA address of a CHGPA members. Please assist.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
Bari

Post by Bari »

Below is my Edith's landing clip. Frankly, I don't think it's as difficult as it's made to be. It surely is technical and that's about it. I did an up-slope downwind landing and come below the trees very quickly to avoid the gradient. Please let me know your thoughts "on the video" :)

https://youtu.be/VVSu7If2AdY
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

I helped clearing the LZ when they reopened Edith’s Gap,
believe it was Christmas week 2015.
Always said that we HG pilots should fly at Edith’s Gap.
Though, we don’t need to land there, but possible for sure, as 3 pilots have already proven…
Fantastic XC place and more…
Knut
markc

Post by markc »

Thanks for posting the video of your flight Bari, very fun to watch! And I'm seriously laughing about my shoulder-shrug at the 21-second mark : "What the hell, why not?"

We had been waiting so long... Gotta say that you were far more patient than I would ever have been. Great job! :D

My last flight at Edith's was on a U2, on a somewhat stronger day. Probably the same year that we re-opened the site. I got briefly above, but not for very long, and did a similar uphill/downwind landing. I used up a lot more of the field and just put it in on the wheels, because the tailwind was significant.

Not sure I'd want to do the same with a topless....
Bari

Post by Bari »

That is exactly what was in my mind when I picked up the glider (pre-21 seconds) that "what the hell". As for patience you got to wait for good things right? And again, couldn't have done it without your support!

Frankly the landing is "NOT all that" and I earnestly believe, it's all about altitude management. Once you drop below the tree line behind the main field and that is the lowest part of the field, thereon it's all uphill and the tail wind doesn't catch you rather it's like zero wind (you might have noticed I was at bush level on final). I fly/land with Half or more VG so the wing is stiff. I think it's very doable. Again, from where I made the approach (final) to the farthest part of the field is 0.16 miles almost same as WS LZ which basically gave me the most confidence.

Topless: I remember your last flight from WS and how you landed in the old primary (have that landing on video still :) ) With an approach like that and I'll leave it at that.
markc

Post by markc »

Oh heck, the former-primary at WStock? That field is enormous compared to Edith's.

I just wanted to make the point that a successful landing at Edith's will be dependent on the conditions & the wing that one is flying.

Yours was spot-on Bari! And your video is an excellent reference point.

But remember: In stronger/more-soarable conditions... If you can't get up and OTB... And if you can't get out to the fields by the river.... Then the tailwind in the LZ is probably going to be more than what you encountered on that particular day.

So a careful evaluation of conditions (as you did!) is very important for HGers who are planning to fly there. It's not a crazy-difficult field, but there are considerations that pilots need to keep in mind.
Bari

Post by Bari »

Wise words. If I may humbly include importance of "Spot landing"? It's my favorite past time.