The SAC Friday Aug. 12th

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

The SAC Friday Aug. 12th

Post by XCanytime »

Looks good. Any takers? Bacil
Bari

Re: The SAC Friday Aug. 12th

Post by Bari »

How about Woodstock on Thursday before SAC? :)
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

A good number of pilots are looking closely at the SAC Friday. Initial estimates of the TOL are in the 6500' MSL range. Bacil
Bari

Post by Bari »

Woodstock looks a bit north but is still within the limit. I am thinking of heading there in the AM anyone else interested?
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Sac definitely looking good for tomorrow, Friday.
Was planning going to Bluesky, getting some adjustments done on my harness and fly, if possible… .
Though, SAC looks really good….
Knut
Bari

Post by Bari »

It wasn't too north rather it was just light. I got to WS at 1:15 PM. Two PGs had launched and were hardly 500 over the ridge. While I was setting up one PG bombed out after hardly a 10 minutes flight. The other PG came close to bombing out too but got up and over. Around 2PM wind started to blow again a bit. So, I got in my harness and sat on the launch with my glider still in setup area for maybe 10 minutes to observe the cycles and then at 2:30 pm picked up my glider and went for it.

I didn't really scratch the ridge right after launch as I got a couple of 100 over ridge fairly quickly. Shortly I was 1200 feet over the ridge. It was L&V and for a very short time it might have blown over the back too or just tooo parallel to the ridge.

50 minutes into the flight and maybe 500 over the ridge I saw another PG launch and right after launch sinking and pushing away from the ridge and couple of minutes later heading towards the LZ. When the PG landed, I said to myself you're pushing it "buddy". Had there been one cloud in the sky I would have stuck around. Just a clear blue sky so I pulled in, left the ridge and landed at the main LZ. Also, I knew I'd have to hike back up so that was weighing in too.

In the end everything worked out great. Had a great flight and "yeah baby" I outflew PGs once again.
markc

Post by markc »

It smelled like a lateday-WS-flight from Bethesda when I wrapped up an after work run, 6:30-ish. Wonder if it went magic? Sure felt like it....

Good for you getting out there Bari, would have joined if I could :(
Bari

Post by Bari »

Track below. Shared the track cause the approach and the spot where I landed are "spot on".

https://ayvri.com/scene/85qdym99j4/cl6p ... 6u61js6m7n

It could have gone magic but it was just too light. The PGs did forward launches. I checked the WS station after seeing your reply and it shows there was no wind until 8 PM. But I got up to 3200 msl with my vario showing launch at 1700 today. So, with a bit of effort it was doable and quite fun frankly.
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Okay, not going anyplace tomorrow, Friday. Though, forecast still looking fantastic for SAC. Bummer!
Bari, good job today at WS.
Knut
Bari

Post by Bari »

And here's my track. I flew for 3 hours and 10 minutes.

https://ayvri.com/scene/85qdym99j4/cl6r ... 6up20me8oz
John Dullahan

Post by John Dullahan »

Bacil and Bari,

Congrats on your impressive flights. Bari for over three hours, and even though he stayed in the area, got a 72 mile total track.

Bacil got to over 8,000 ft. Well done guys!
John Dullahan
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

John Dullahan wrote:Bacil and Bari,

Congrats on your impressive flights. Bari for over three hours, and even though he stayed in the area, got a 72 mile total track.

Bacil got to over 8,000 ft. Well done guys!
Thanks John. Whatta day! Had to work in the AM, so I got there around 2:20P to find 7 gliders set up already and Charlie Allen getting ready to launch. Jim Carroll, Dave Black, Aron Lantz, Jackie Williamson, Jim Messina, Roger Irby, Will Hynla, and Joe Gorrie were set up. After Charlie launched, Jim Carroll got up on the mound while Charlie scratched and scratched, but succumbed to the pull of gravity. Jim backed off after seeing Charlie lose his battle w/ gravity. Bari showed up just after 3P. Doug Rogers and Natalie showed up as well. As I set up quickly to the sound of building conditions Aron Lantz launched and got up. Jim Carroll was next and got up.

I got up to the mound, quickly picked a cycle, and was off. It wasn't a gimme. Turn in lift only. Had to work to get up. Once up, found a climb to 1K+ over and headed towards the river as I usually do. Was thinking about flying to Carlisle Airport. As I approached the Klingerstown Gap, I was just a few hundred over the ridge. At the gap I loitered around, headed back towards launch out away from the ridge, milking lift all the way back.

Back near launch I spotted Jim Carroll stinking high. I decided the heck w/ Carlisle Airport, let's try to get to base. And I did! Had my highest altitude gain ever. 8100' MSL. It ... was ... COLD! I only had a t-shirt on (of course!) so I was cold. Once at base over the town of Sacramento, I decided to pound upwind and tag the church at Rough and Ready. Tagged that after losing 3K', turned east to try to tag Jack's Spot, a restaurant at the Rt. 125 junction. Got close, but decided to be safe and headed back to the ridge. Entered the pattern upwind and had a nice uphill landing on my knees.

Total airtime was 1:20+. Actually had some mental confusion due to being cold at altitude. An unfortunate byproduct of being underdressed and old :lol: . Whatta flight! Bacil
Bari

Post by Bari »

Thanks for the encouraging words John :)

I shared my track but put together a quick video of yesterday's flight. Below is the link.

https://youtu.be/3CFZsLs1WJY