Sat30July options

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

markc

Sat30July options

Post by markc »

Although it's a bit early.... Looks like there might be some light WNW conditions heading our way. Possibly a Pulpit day? On a weekend, OMG? :o

Curious what people are thinking!
dbodner

Re: Sat30July options

Post by dbodner »

It looks like some are thinking of High Rock.
David Bodner
markc

Post by markc »

I'd consider helping out at HRock if there'd been any decent flying opps lately for the weekend-only types like me. But there haven't been, so.....
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

I will be at the Pulpit to help w/ launches by 4P. HR looks like a sledfest. Bacil
markc

Post by markc »

Bari seems interested in giving the Pulpit a go, and I've heard Eric K may as well. Maybe we can also impose on Rich B for launch help.... Things may work out!

Latest sfc forecasts have swung a bit North, so crossing fingers a bit.
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

XCanytime wrote:I will be at the Pulpit to help w/ launches by 4P. HR looks like a sledfest. Bacil
NOT!
Bari

Post by Bari »

Here is today's flight track.

https://ayvri.com/scene/85qdym99j4/cl68 ... 6t907gpr3m

Short write up for now.

Bacil and Eric met at the LZ around 12:45PM (So, don't know who got there first). Mark C arrived and went for a little hike (he had already made up his mind that he wouldn't fly today). I got to launch at 1:30 PM and I believe Mark G got there around 2:40PM as I was getting ready to fly.

Eric was the first to launch at about 2:1, he waited for a few minutes for the perfect cycle. Had a good launch and climbed. I launched 2nd, maybe 40 minutes later and by that time Eric had gone over the back. The ridge was working but only just. I climbed to 3K and 3.5K was my maximum. I had an hour and +40 minutes flights. Eric landed in Greencastle and Bacil went to retrive him. Mark Gardner, flew for about 30 and for perhaps 10 or 15 minutes we flew together which looked more like a raven chasing an eagle and just bothering it. Mark headed to landed and I followed. Mark landed in the designated spot and I decided to land where we park our vehicles as I have done so past 3 times however, today I overshot the landing by 20 feet and landed on the road (on a lighter note Mark C thinks it was the best flare he had seen).
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

Soaring happened at High Rock, too.

I helped the first tranche of pilots launch, along with Andrew Lloyd and special-guest wire-crew, Richard Hays. I doubt winds ever exceeded 10 mph. Steve Krichten, Jim Carroll (of Hyner), Aaron (of Hyner) and Bob Buchanan. All but Aaron soared. He was last, and the winds were diminishing. Jim had the FoTD at around 90 minutes. It wasn't brain-dead soarable. Everyone worked hard for what they got.

After the first round of flying, I was up followed by Aaron's second attempt. I was happy to see even mellower conditions than before, because I'm still knocking off the rust. A mostly uneventful launch (save for the slight turn to the left) followed by a couple of passes looking for lift. My vario was worse than useless because it was lying to me. After finding no more than marginal lift while trying to figure out what the vario's evil pattern was, I gave up and flew out to land. At this point, I was only just below launch, but I was playing it safe. Halfway out to the LZ the vario's display pegged the strongest lift possible. Uh, no. 11 minutes and 55 feet above launch, but who can believe an evil vario?

Aaron launched a second time and stayed up longer than his first flight or mine. Andrew opted not to fly. I think he stuck around just to give me moral support. Thanks, Andrew.
David Bodner