Pulpit June 29th, 2022

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Bari

Pulpit June 29th, 2022

Post by Bari »

Allan, Will and I flew the pulpit today (yesterday only Allan and I flew). Many thanks to Rich Bloomfield who was there to assist us both days. Will brought a weed whacker and cut some grass in the setup area. It was really overgrown and much needed so thank you Will.

I took off first, and it was a sledder. Packed up at the fastest pace and had already made up my mind that I would go for another round. Will gave me a ride up. While Allan was getting ready, I started setting up my glider. Will and I launched Allan who quickly climbed and headed south on the ridge. While Willl was completing his setup I almost got done too and around this time Rich Bloomfield arrived. He and I helped launched Will. Will scratched and scratched some more around the radio towers but eventually headed to the LZ and landed. Rich helped me launch (we all launched from the old ramp and yesterday we used the old ramp too).

I took off at 5:30PM and landed at 7:42PM. After launching I headed south on the ridge and kept heading south until I had covered 3/4 of the ridge and the smaller ridge got closer. At that point I turned around and headed back North. Went all the way to launch. By this time the wind had become fairly NNW. Around launch area found punchy cloud streets and climbed and Allan was climbing too. Few minutes later Allan went to land (I saw him while I was heading south again). He flew for 2 hours and got upto 5K. I turned back around and went back to launch where I saw Rich and Will standing on the ramp. I hung around there for a while and then headed south after climbing in the cloud street. This time around the North wind was acting like a boosters and I was cruising at 37 mph on half VG. Went past the radio towers almost half way to where I had gone before and then turned around and headed back to launch. Did a few reps and then eventually headed to the LZ and instead of landing on the mowed runway as most of the field was mowed so decided to land next to the car in a NW direction. Broke down and Allan gave me a ride back up.

We 3 hung around at launch until 9:15 then I departed and shortly after Allan must have too as he was almost done loading up his vehicle. Will had decided during that day that he'd camp out so he stayed put.

I'll upload the track tomorrow. Got home hardly 25 minutes ago and it's already past 12.

Good times.
Last edited by Bari on Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bari

Re: Pulpit June 29th, 2022

Post by Bari »

1otIII2007

Post by 1otIII2007 »

I headed to the Pulpit Tuesday after working part day. After getting everything coordinated it I didn't get launched until 5:00 and the thermals were shutting down. I ended up with a 28 minute flight getting 500' over launch.
I camped out there overnight and was watching the forecast which looked good starting at about 4:00. Up until that time the wind was WSW but it looked like good thermal activity. Around 4:00 the wind straighten out and was almost straight in. Bari launched first and did not get up. He quickly broke down and Will picked him up. I launched soon after they came back up. I picked a building cycle and went right up. Got up to 5100' MSL and had a 2 hour flight. My Track: https://ayvri.com/scene/0jgrreyeko/cl51 ... 6anamabtbz

Allan B.
Bari

Post by Bari »

I mentioned but I didn't emphasize enough. If there is a "wire crew chief" or "Best Wire Crew" award then it goes to Rich Bloomfield. He single handedly managed the glider so well, working the nose wires and keeping the wings stable.

Hats off to you Rich and once again thank you for being there for me!
bustedwing2

Post by bustedwing2 »

extend the thanks to Ward and Basil for teaching me right.