Ward's Service

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

eggzkitz

Ward's Service

Post by eggzkitz »

CHGPA-

The service for Ward Odenwald will be held tomorrow, Thursday March 10th at 3 pm. The location is St. Andrews Church in Glenwood, MD. (Address = 2892 MD-97, Glenwood, MD 21738). Ward's wife Arlene said that all are welcome. There will also be a gathering at their house following the service. Please contact Rich Hiegel if you have anything you'd like to share or offer for the family.

Vr,
Jeff
Jeff Eggers
CHGPA President
USHPA 82627
FCC KK4QMQ
eggzkitz

Re: Ward's Service

Post by eggzkitz »

For anyone wishing to send condolences/flowers to Ward's wife Arlene, please contact Rich H, John M or myself to get the address.

A floral arrangement will be delivered tomorrow on behalf of CHGPA.
Jeff Eggers
CHGPA President
USHPA 82627
FCC KK4QMQ
eggzkitz

Post by eggzkitz »

The service is at Union Chapel, just north of the address above.
Jeff Eggers
CHGPA President
USHPA 82627
FCC KK4QMQ
markc

Post by markc »

It was a good (well, as much as they can be) service, and many of us learned about the wildly varied non-flying aspects of Ward's life. Thank you to Jeff for getting the details out, I think there were at least 16 pilots present. The church was standing-room-only, reflecting the many facets and interests of both Ward and his family.
markc

Post by markc »

Ok, just one story which Ward's wife Arlene related: His science career started quite by accident, back in the days of long lines and index cards for class registration at UMD College Park. Somehow, he got placed into a grad-level molecular biology course for his sophomore year. This really 'clicked' for Ward, and ultimately the professor went to bat for him, to keep Ward in the class in spite of the mistake. And a 40-year career was born.

But knowing Ward.... Just how much of a 'mistake ' was that, really?

Hmmmmm.... :wink:
RichH

Post by RichH »

It was a really nice service..and I was especially happy to see the all the pilots there. I know the family appreciated it..Rich
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

It was a special service and I am glad so many pilots attended. The church was full. Attending for CHGPA and the flying community was Marney and I, Rich H & Leeth, Jim Rowan, Ben & LE, Dave Proctor, John Dullahan, Mark Cavanaugh, Bacil, Danny Brotto, John McAllister, Pete Lehman, Anthony, Charley F., Tom McGowan, Jeff Eggers and another couple that I can't recall. Thanks to those that could make it and I think the family appreciated it.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

It was a nice service. I went to Ward's house afterwards because I felt it was the right thing to do, to personally talk to Arlene, Ward IV, and Alexandra each alone individually. And I did. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life, aside from legally disconnecting from 35 years of my life the day before. And each of them were very appreciative of me taking the time to express my condolences. I left my number w/ Arlene, offering her answers to any future questions she, Ward IV, or Alexandra might have. Bacil
RichH

Post by RichH »

I was thinking about this a lot last night and I remember Ward and I and Jerry Nelson and Paul McDermott joking when we were in our 20's that we would still be hobbling off the High Rock ramp when we were in our 70's.. The service reminded me very much of the First and Last scene in "Chariots of Fire" When the last remaining athletes gathered around to attend their comrades funeral. It was a very similar scene
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

Thanks Jeff & Rich for your work in sharing the information about the funeral service to the flying community in such a short time. I think most of us thought the funeral would not be so soon.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
John Dullahan

Post by John Dullahan »

Arleen and Ward's son's presentations at the church were wrenching and yet inspiring. There was so much love in the family and they were grateful that they had shared it for a long time.

I enjoyed seeing and chatting with many long-time pilots and friends again; unfortunately under sad circumstances.
John Dullahan
markc

Post by markc »

It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life
Bacil, I just have to say : Thank you for visiting with Ward's family!

I simply couldn't handle it, the funeral alone was so darn hard.

And heck, you and Rich were THERE when it all went down.

So kudos to you for making that effort, and I hope that you are both doing ok (ish).