Practice day at Taylor Mon21Feb ?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

markc

Practice day at Taylor Mon21Feb ?

Post by markc »

At the moment, the NWS surface hourly is calling for SSW for a good bit of Monday, President's Day, before a swing to hard S. Anyone thinking of a practice day at Taylor? Could be decent, 50+, 10-ish.

(assuming the forecast holds....)
Ward Odenwald

Re: Practice day at Taylor Mon21Feb ?

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Looks like the forecasts are holding. Thanks for the heads-up Mark. Mid-day should be ideal for takeoff and landing practice.
Ward
markc

Post by markc »

I'll be aiming for an 11am ETA, if there's company to be had. Are you "in" Ward?
BTW: Happy to share my Falcon 170, it weighs practically nothing!

(Might slide my timeframe earlier if the gust factor on the NWS hourly expands...)
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

I'm good with CHGPA and USPHA. I'm planning on going down tomorrow morning.
David Bodner
markc

Post by markc »

Thanks for that reminder Dave, will re-up tonight! Already 2022 :shock:
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Should arrive around 10.
markc

Post by markc »

I always forget.... If there are any signs of south in the 'cast, then it's typically WAY south at Taylor. How do I not expect this after so many years?

I arrived after Ward and Dave B, around 10:40. Conditions were pretty light, but direction seemed good, so I dropped some streamers to add to Ward's and then set up.

Course, by the time I was on launch we were seeing 90-cross at times, and really light winds when they did swing up the hill. I potato'd for a while because I wanted at least a *bit* more wind for that key first flight... Ward and Dave were patient, thanks guys!

My tally for the day was six flights. By 2pm the S cross had really started to solidify, so I was grateful for that many... And speaking of grateful, how many things in one's life can be relied-on for pushing 30 years? Taylor is where I did the majority of my early training, and I've been back for practice days ever since. The generosity of the Taylor family has minted many a PG and HG pilot in that time, and all I can say is wow/thank-you!

Dave had two or three flights (also on a Falcon). But Ward did not like what he was seeing, with his shiny/sparkly S3, and elected to break down. Between his time constraints and the cross cycles and the forecast, that was likely a good call. Taylor can be unforgiving of higher-perf wings. I've been-there/done-that, sigh!

But still, a fun day, and a great chance to catch up!
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

Mark, thanks for trying to credit me with three flights, but it was two. Somehow going down always seems to be easier than going up. My Falcon turned 19 this month, and it seems to be gaining weight in its middle-age. I'm sure I haven't lost a step in that time.
David Bodner