Pulpit Saturday February 12th

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Pulpit Saturday February 12th

Post by XCanytime »

Looks a toasty mid 40s temp and moderate west winds. Any interest? Bacil
krryerson

Re: Pulpit Saturday February 12th

Post by krryerson »

Sounds better toasty mid 70s in Valle de Bravo, Mexico.

Suppose to be a fantastic HG winter place and hope you all can join us next time. We are 5 local HG pilots going to Valle, departure this weekend, Fri-Sat for 1-2 weeks.

We’ll keep you guys posted, if interested.

Though, hope it works out for Pulpit on Saturday, but if possible, try to save up some vacation time, cash and more. Come to Valle with us next time. We would love to have more local pilots with us, sharing the joy, flying.

Not that expensive and you’ll probably get to fly more in one week in Valle, than for some pilots in a year at home.

Knut
1otIII2007

Post by 1otIII2007 »

I am liking the forecast. I am in if the forecast pans out.

Allan B.
RichH

Post by RichH »

Right now Woodstock is looking pretty good for Saturday ..Partly Sunny 55 degrees with winds expected to be 310 at 10mph at launch.. Still a few days to go but if forecast holds it could be a nice day there..Rich
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Looks like you don’t have to go south on Saturday, to get some warm weather. Looking good.
Hope you all get some great flights and be safe.
Knut
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

RichH wrote:Right now Woodstock is looking pretty good for Saturday ..Partly Sunny 55 degrees with winds expected to be 310 at 10mph at launch.. Still a few days to go but if forecast holds it could be a nice day there..Rich
Woodstock Tower Road is currently closed. I don't see the ice on the windward side melting enough to reopen the road by Saturday. You want to hike up the back? Bacil
LikeToFly

Post by LikeToFly »

Pulpit...how good is it going to be? :)

Aron
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

LikeToFly wrote:Pulpit...how good is it going to be? :)

Aron
As good as it gets for this time of year. Bacil
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

OK the only launchable window at the Pulpit is looking from 9A to 10A. How many pilots are willing to get up way early to make that window? Otherwise, it's a Smithsburg day for sure. Bacil
markc

Post by markc »

Kinda/sorta thinking about that hike up the back at WStock at this point....
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

If Pulpit is in play, keep in mind that there is a TFR up around Camp David this weekend.

If anyone is going out to Smithburg post here; might unfurl the mighty Falcon...

Danny Brotto
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Danny Brotto wrote:If Pulpit is in play, keep in mind that there is a TFR up around Camp David this weekend.

If anyone is going out to Smithburg post here; might unfurl the mighty Falcon...

Danny Brotto
Danny I'm 99.9% sure the majority of pilots will end up at Smithsburg tomorrow. Bacil
markc

Post by markc »

Still checking forecasts, but a hike up WS on what seems like a mostly cloudy day isn't greatly appealing at the moment... Considering SBurg in hopes that there could be some lighter cycles, requiring a hard run (my goal for practice days). Guess we will see!
LikeToFly

Post by LikeToFly »

On my 5AM forecast check...it looks too strong for me. I'm bailing on flying Saturday.

Aron
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

LikeToFly wrote:On my 5AM forecast check...it looks too strong for me. I'm bailing on flying Saturday.

Aron
Already nuts on the Holfuy. Aiming for late day training hops at Smithsburg. Bacil
markc

Post by markc »

The forecast is too strong for my particular practice goals, so I'm going to pass on the 'Burg today. Hope that those who go see some good cycles!
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

markc wrote:The forecast is too strong for my particular practice goals, so I'm going to pass on the 'Burg today. Hope that those who go see some good cycles!
It was fine today at Smithsburg. The winds on top were mostly 8 to 12 MPH; some light 5 MPH winds occurred too. My 1st flight I attempted to take off in a light cycle. And once again the gradient in the trough below robbed me of airspeed ( and hence, lift). The hill was too shallow, so I rolled down the hill on my wheels slowly until I stopped. The 2nd flight was perfect. The takeoff, the flight, and the landing were all good. On the 3rd flight, the takeoff was good, but another gradient lower down caused the glider to come close to doing a "touch and go". Once thru that, the airspeed increased, the lift increased, and a comfortable ground clearance was achieved. Had another good landing and called it a day. Mucho thanks to Charley, who showed up sans glider, and carried the glider up the hill after the 1st 2 flights. Bacil
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

http://www.511virginia.org/mobile/?menu_id=conditions. Woodstock Tower Road is still closed as of 11:55P this evening due to ice. Bacil
markc

Post by markc »

Guess "you never know unless you go" : Good for you for giving it a try Bacil.

The 20-25 gust factor on the NWS hourly surface forecast map, all day and well past sunset, is why I threw in the towel. Glad you got some flights!
LikeToFly

Post by LikeToFly »

Glad you got out there Bacil !!! And nice that Charley could assist.

Aron
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

Great that you got to fly. The conditions you described were very different from what was happening at the glider port. While the average wind was moderate there were many unexpected and strong, erratic, gusts. I didn't like the gusts and was not sure about others showing up, so the glider stayed in its storage box.

Some other time, I guess.

Danny Brotto
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Danny Brotto wrote:Great that you got to fly. The conditions you described were very different from what was happening at the glider port. While the average wind was moderate there were many unexpected and strong, erratic, gusts. I didn't like the gusts and was not sure about others showing up, so the glider stayed in its storage box.

Some other time, I guess.

Danny Brotto
I'll just add that my 1st flight was around 3:10P, if that makes a difference. Bacil