Pulpit 12/4

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

LikeToFly

Pulpit 12/4

Post by LikeToFly »

Looks like several pilots are going to the Pulpit Saturday.

Aron
Dunegoon

Re: Pulpit 12/4

Post by Dunegoon »

FYI:
P-40 TFR
When :Friday, December 3, 2021, 5:00 PM until Sunday, December 5, 2021, 6:59 PM

CBF
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Can’t make it. Was hoping to get out to fly today.
Young teens and sports activities keeps me grounded today… Pulpit definitely would be my pick… have fun!
Knut
markc

Post by markc »

I'll head up to the Pulpit today...
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Arrived at 10:30A to Allan partially set up and it wafting in on the ramp 8 to 10 MPH. Set up myself and waited for it to throttle up to soarable velocity. In the meantime Mark Cavanaugh, Aron Lantz and Julie, Pat Fuedo and Jim Carroll showed up. I deemed it soarable around 12:20P and launched into soarable air in a moderate cycle at 12:27P. Struggled to stay above the ridge, and didn't get high at all for the 1st half hour of the flight. Allan joined me shortly after I launched, and he headed north into a NW headwind. I thought about following, but didn't. Soon Jim Carroll joined me in the air, and we traded places up and down by Rt. 16, finding rough air at times, w/ shots of strong lift and strong sink. Saw Pat Fuedo on the ramp and I hovered over the ramp. Was cranking on launch at that time, and I saw that he had trouble controlling the glider on the ramp. Got to 3700' MSL in some cohesive lift finally and considered OTB, but ended up gliding upwind and landing at the Great Cove Golf Club driving range in sporty conditions. 1:30 of airtime. Had a decent landing, and carried over to by the clubhouse. Leisurely broke down in the afternoon sun, w/ Bari retrieving me around 3P. Thanks Bari! Back at launch John McCallister and Pete Lehmann were breaking down their gliders, as around 1:30P it got blown out for the next 2 hours+. Bari and Aron were still set up, so Bari launched just after 4P in moderate to strong conditions on the ramp. Next we got Aron up on the ramp, and Allan, Julie and I had challenging times holding Aron down in the now strong, gusty conditions. Finally a "lull" occurred (not much of one) that allowed Aron to launch, and as he exited the ramp his wings rocked back and forth. He pulled in for good speed, and hit the elevator up. He and Bari landed close to sunset. I drove Bari's car down prior to his landing; Allan drove me back up to the parking lot. Hit the road just after 5P. A decent day at the Pulpit. Bacil

https://ayvri.com/scene/z15y60z0jx/ckws ... 6k7880gem8
Last edited by XCanytime on Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
1otIII2007

Post by 1otIII2007 »

Got to the Pulpit early and set slowly set up after eating breakfast. Then we waited for the wind to pick up. Bacil launched first and I soon followed. Soon after getting up I headed up the ridge to the north east. It was slow going to get around the first corner after that the ridge was facing more perpendicular and I was able to move up the ridge a little faster. I made it almost far enough north east up the ridge to line up with the Raven Haven ridge but I could not penetrate far enough into the strong wind from the altitude I could get up to. After hanging out there for a little I headed back.
Here is the track: https://ayvri.com/scene/0jgrreyeko/ckws ... 697x2r0slx

Allan B.
markc

Post by markc »

I checked the Holfuy after winding down at Smithsburg, and could not believe how strong the readings were.... 20G30 at 4:30pm! And crazy-strong 30-35 gusts between 2:30 and 4pm. WTH???

Was wondering if the obs were wrong/inflated, but it doesn't sound like it. Rock and Roll day at the Pulpit :shock:
Bari

Post by Bari »

After 1:30 the luls were blown out too, topping +20 mph (it was pretty crazy up top at launch).

Good company makes all the difference, and we all waited patiently for the winds to back off just a little. Aron and Jolie (what a couple, and thank you so much Jolie for the chocolates and almonds and watching over me bird which was eager to take to the skies on her own).

I am so glad Aron and I were able to launch just after 4PM and landed a few minutes into sunset the lift was everywhere and very punchy too. We both were super stoked!

Lastly many thanks to the wire crew in alphabetical order (Allan, Aron, Bacil & Jolie).

Hope to
LikeToFly

Post by LikeToFly »

That was a great time at the Pulpit Saturday!

The ramp experience was kind of extreme, probably after lots of times up there a pilot gets more comfortable :)

Thanks to everyone helping on wire and driving vehicles.

Let's fly again soon!

Aron
Bari

Post by Bari »

Pulpit really was awesome that day. I went ahead and made a kind of thrilling intro for it :)

Hope you all enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/wBbI5XB_xD8
LikeToFly

Post by LikeToFly »

Yes flying the Pulpit was a hoot!

Here is a video of some of the flying. Launching was challenging, fortunately had a good wire crew! Thanks!

https://youtu.be/CwsIYwTY0CQ

Aron