Woodstock 9-26

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

RichH

Woodstock 9-26

Post by RichH »

Sunday as of this morning ( 9-24) the wind forecast is showing ground winds of 310-315 degrees at 8mph ..Putting launch winds in the 12-15 mph range with some higher gusts. Thermal heights are predicted to exceed 4000ft with moderate thermal strength expected. As of this writing I'm planning to get to Woodstock around noon with the idea of launching between 2-3pm.. Hoping to get a 2-3 hr flight in.. Hope to see you there! Rich
markc

Re: Woodstock 9-26

Post by markc »

Forecast has ramped up at the Pulpit, so now I'm eyeing WS for Sunday. Could be a good one!
RichH

Post by RichH »

The Friday evening wind forecast for Woodstock is looking very good..Hope it stays this way through tomorrow.. I may consider with this forecast getting to Woodstock earlier than I originally thought ..Maybe a 11am arrival now.. Rich
1otIII2007

Post by 1otIII2007 »

Woodstock looks good for Sunday and maybe late Saturday afternoon too.

Allan B.
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Looks good but can’t make it….
Knut
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

I am watching it too.

Tom
RichH

Post by RichH »

Forecast is looking great for Woodstock today.. 305 degrees at 10- 12 on the ground ..lift to 5,000ft ..Forcasted winds staying 300 degrees most of the day..Looking really primo!!!
1otIII2007

Post by 1otIII2007 »

I am on my way to fly Woodstock today.

Allan B.
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

Eta 12:45
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

Well, I had a good day at Woodstock. Flew for about 2 hours and to 5900 msl. Lots of bald eagles and flew with some sailplanes. While the thermals were broken up, for the most part, it never got too rowdy for me. It was west cross again, so progress along the ridge could be slow. It also was mostly blue but a few broken clouds were around.

We had a good turnout of pilots - maybe 10 or more. I believe everyone flew and soared as long as they wanted. I am hopeful to get more good days like this during the fall season.

Tom McGowan
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

What a day! The monkey is off the back, and then some. My 1st flight at Woodstock since my launch accident of 1/1/19. Arrived at 9:30A to light conditions on launch and cumies building in the distance. Made sure we had plenty of wind indicators on the launch. My XC partner Shane Morland showed up around 10A, right on time. Other arrivals in the next 2 hours were Mark C., Gary, Allan Bawell, and Rich Hiegel. Monitored the Holfuy windmeter and from 11:30A to noon the trend was in the right direction (W -> WNW). Suited up and had a good launch around 12:15+. Turned left into the expected cross, and what a cross it was. WSW in spots! Slow going to Waonaze Peak. Took 3 attempts to climb the "hill" up to the peak by the Edinburg Gap.

Now w/ some altitude, I hung out over the rockpiles out in front and waited to hear from Shane. He announced he had launched on the radio, but I strained to see where he was from my perch at 3K' MSL. Finally spotted him almost sinking out, below the ridge out away from it and scratching and clawing his way up between 2 fingers. I sped back to join him, so we could go for our XC plan B, landing at Front Royal Airport. Along the way, found some lift to ~ 4K' MSL. Finally joined up w/ Shane at launch just as Mark C. launched and headed SW out away from the ridge.

Shane and I made it up to the Strasburg Reservoir and searched for the ticket OTB and on to Front Royal Airport. It took a while, but we finally connected w/ some cohesive lift and climbed to 5K'+ MSL, drifting over towards High Peak. At 5100 and some change I beelined it for the airport. When I arrived over it, I had only lost 200'. The airport was busy, and thanks to the fact that my Yeasu FT-60R can monitor aviation band frequencies, I got real time intel on the ground activity. I spotted a biplane (Boeing Stearman) making low passes over a crowd of people at the approach end of the runway (found out later it was a gender reveal stunt) and releasing smoke. Saw from the smoke drift that it was blowing straight down Runway 28.

I searched for Shane, and spotted him low to the north of the runway. I was hanging around up high. Shane descended, and prepared for landing. Just then the Piper Pawnee tug taxied out to the runway to tow up a sailplane. The Unicom crackled "Wanted to alert you a hang glider is nearby". Shane had a nice landing in the grass between the runway and taxiway, giving the still present gender reveal crowd a show. Then the Pawnee towed up the sailplane. I had the luxury of altitude, so I came in after the departure, and gave the crowd a 2nd show, having a nice landing on my feet, compliments of the fresh breeze.

A young kid in a flight suit came running out to us. Jacob was stoked watching us come in. He offerred to help me carry the glider past the AvGas station. Turns out Jacob is training to be a crew chief on the A10 w/ the Maryland ANG at Martin State Airport. And his dad Paul is the 777 driver for UA out of Dulles who owns 40 acres in Fort Valley that I have landed at 3 times since I met Paul at the Woodstock launch almost 5 years ago. Small world.

So Shane and I took our time breaking down, since Paul came out and invited us to a party at 5P for a pilot that Paul took for a check ride at Shenandoah Airport at 10A in the morning. It was a nice celebration of a private pilot's achievement, and we were welcomed warmly by the airport manager and staff. We're all wingnuts :lol: . Doesn't matter what you fly. It's a brotherhood. Shane and I promised to return soon, before it gets too cold.

And Jacob graciously drove us back to launch to retrieve our trucks.

Bacil

https://ayvri.com/scene/z15y60z0jx/cku2 ... 6imo4in0gk