Pulpit Friday 9/24, Sunday 9/26

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Pulpit Friday 9/24, Sunday 9/26

Post by XCanytime »

Looks like identical forecasts, and as good as it gets. Who's interested? Bacil
LikeToFly

Re: Pulpit Friday 9/24, Sunday 9/26

Post by LikeToFly »

I might be there on the 26th. Will be on a return trip from Big Walker fly-in around that time frame...

Thanks for the heads up!

Aron
1otIII2007

Post by 1otIII2007 »

I am in for Sunday if the forecast holds. Most likely not Friday unless I happen to not have any work.

Allan B.
markc

Post by markc »

Friday is unlikely for me too, stupid work. But if the Sunday forecast holds.... Whoa, that could be an awesome day!
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Got a few pilots an at least one helper showing up tomorrow. W @ 8 MPH all afternoon at HGR. Bacil
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Arrived at 1:15P to find Ric Niehaus, Walt, and Tom Shaffer in varying degrees of setting up. The sky looked great, w/ nice cumies dotting the sky. However, the launch conditions were quite light for the Pulpit, and often SW. Fred Briggs showed up after 1:30P to round out the crew. I decided since I was flying Sunday that I would ensure full wire crew for at least 2 of the 3 pilots; didn't take the glider off the truck. So we waited, and waited, and waited. Ric and I went up on the ramp just before 3P, and we experienced a 10 to 15 minute period of light to moderate straight in winds, and multiple cycles migrating up the face of the mountain thru the top canopy of the trees. This inspired Ric to get ready to go. So we got up on the ramp w/ Ric, and it was very light, w/ very little movement in the canopy below. We waited for 10 minutes or so, and another wave of moderate cycles brewed up and rolled in. Ric launched in a good cycle, after feeling his glider out for a bit, loaded his glider a tad early, and easily got up in the abundant lift out in front of the ridge to the south. He soon disappeared and went OTB. Tom was up next, and it was still active, but moderate conditions (base wind up to 11/12 MPH on the Holfuy windmeter). Tom launched and had his right wing come up a little, but he levelled it out quickly and flew away fine and got up easily just like Ric. Walt was last up. A young fellow named Zack provided the 3rd wire help. Walt experienced a nose pop in the 1st 3 steps, but powered thru the pop; the nose rotated downward naturally as he powered down the rest of the ramp. Another rise by a right wing, and Walt was on it. He flew away and rose easily in the widespread lift just out from the ridge. Ric called soon after, and I retrieved him from the north side of Rt. 30 just west of the PA 416 junction. An old time pilot, Art Barrick, saw Ric land, and came over to offer a ride, but left before I got there. Fred graciously retrieved Tom and Walt from the main LZ. Ric and I grabbed some chow at Tony's Pizza in Greencastle, and Ric vowed to return to the Pulpit soon. Bacil
Last edited by XCanytime on Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Thanks for the flight report!
Knut