Woodstock 9-6 Labor Day !!

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

RichH

Woodstock 9-6 Labor Day !!

Post by RichH »

Right now the forecast is looking good for Monday (9-6) at WS ..Im seeing 8-10 on the ground from 305 degrees building in the late afternoon. Could be a repeat of the glass off we had 3 weeks ago! Lets hope the forecast holds!!
krryerson

Re: Woodstock 9-6 Labor Day !!

Post by krryerson »

Looks now like I am only going to be off Sun-Mon.
Was considering driving up to Hyner.
But with only two days, do think WS now would be my best option for Monday.
I’ll keep you posted and if not going up north, definitely will be up for WS on Monday.
Knut
RichH

Post by RichH »

Guys still looking good for Woodstock on Monday ..starting around 11am 297 at 8mph on the ground ( 13- 15mph launch) building to 305 degrees 9-10 on the ground ( 16-18 mph at launch) holding until past 6pm..
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

Thanks. I am watching it too.

Tom
markc

Post by markc »

Watching Sunday too, looks like it could lean Pulpit or WStock...
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Agree!
Watching Monday…
Knut
RichH

Post by RichH »

Forecast for tomorrow as of 4:30pm Sunday has improved for Woodstock on Monday.. Stronger thermal and ridge lift conditions predicted from noon until 6pm on Monday ( Thermals projected to 5-6 th ft).. WNW 295 degrees at 8 on the ground around noon becoming 310 degrees 8-10 mph on the ground by 3-5pm.. Sunny conditions all day with light winds in the morning building from the WNW - NW in the afternoon..Im planning on arriving between 11-12 tomorrow unless the forecast changes in the morning..Rich
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Sounds good!
I am planning to arrive at Woodstock by noon tomorrow, Monday, Labor Day.
Knut
RichH

Post by RichH »

WS looks very good today with WNW winds becoming more NW as the day progresses 8-9 mph on the ground predicted with thermal lift projected to go between 5-6 th ft..Soaring conditions look good until 6-7pm.. Im planning to be at launch by noon..Rich Hiegel
RichH

Post by RichH »

WS looks very good today with WNW winds becoming more NW as the day progresses 8-9 mph on the ground predicted with thermal lift projected to go between 5-6 th ft..Soaring conditions look good until 6-7pm.. Im planning to be at launch by noon..Rich Hiegel
markc

Post by markc »

Looks like a strong at the Pulpit, light at WStock type of day. I'm going to roll the dice on the latter...
Dave Proctor

Post by Dave Proctor »

I also fear might be a little strong at the Pulpit. I am going to Woodstock. ETA at LZ around noon.
Dave P
Dave Proctor

Post by Dave Proctor »

Today at Woodstock I had my first blown launch. Angle of attack too low, weak run, glider got in front of me and I just couldn’t catch up. Minor sail tear and dented down tube. I’m bruised and some minor abrasions and cuts. More details to follow. Really sore now. Can’t wait for the real pain tomorrow :-(
Dave P
markc

Post by markc »

Damn, sorry to hear that Dave, load up on the Tylenol tonight dude! Been in that same situation, similar result, try not to let it get you down.
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Dave,
Sorry to hear that… .
I launched as #3 out of 7 HG pilots and did not even know it, before you posted it.
You looked 100% to me at the LZ, when we packed down our gliders. I am glad you are okay!
Knut
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Made a video of Woodstock Labor Day flying.

If interested, check link

https://youtu.be/lBK1FYaM1eY

Knut
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

It was a good day at Woodstock. The thermals were a little broken but I didn't hit any rough air. It took a while, but I eventually made it to base at 7,500 msl. Just a fun day. Thanks for posting a video Knut!

Tom McGowan
LikeToFly

Post by LikeToFly »

Wow, nice flights and video! Congrats! Woodstock was the place to be it sounds. I was camped at Hyner and farther away from Woodstock...otherwise I'd have been there. Hyner was ok in the morning, then blown out till 6pm when I managed to sneak in a half hour flight.

Aron
RichH

Post by RichH »

Thanks for posting the video it was a great day flying with friends .. Really enjoyable! I was happy got my hour and half in and fly in some really nice post frontal air!
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Extra material added for Woodstock Labor Day video, if interested. Adjusted the sounds and more and here you can see Marks launch, which looked good to me and Tom's launch, which he mastered perfectly.
Also, flying with a PG and John's landing.
Why don't I have my launch and landing? Simply forgot to turn it on during launch and it stopped filming right before I landed, which is an issue with the Insta camera, automatically stopping after a proximate time.
https://youtu.be/zPF73K_Stj0
Knut