Sacramento Thursday/Friday 9/2 - 9/3

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Sacramento Thursday/Friday 9/2 - 9/3

Post by XCanytime »

Want to get your Labor Day weekend started early? Looking good for the SAC as the remnants of Ida are forecast to move out to sea Thursday afternoon, bringing a fresh breeze from the N/NNW late Thursday into Friday. Bacil
XCanytime

Re: Sacramento Thursday/Friday 9/2 - 9/3

Post by XCanytime »

Arrived at 2P to moderate conditions and cumie filled skies to the east and north; blue to the west. Set up, and with Joe and Karen's help, had a good launch around 3:20P+in light conditions and got up pretty easily. Found good lift to the east and got to 4600'+ MSL. Went west and lost it all before the Klingerstown Gap, fighting a NNW cross. Gained enough to jump the Gap. Ran down to the Pillow Gap and found the same situation. And I found enough lift again to jump the Gap. Got down to the "saddle" gap; by this time it was around 5P. So I had the brilliant idea to try to make it back to launch. Figured with the now NW cross the quartering tailwind would speed me across the Pillow Gap. It did, but when I got to the Klingerstown Gap (almost home!) it had gone WNW, and there was nothing but corn in the fields east of Klingerstown. Got below the ridge in the severe cross, so I tried to spot land in the soybean field in a bare spot. Got close, but had a nice landing in the thigh high soybeans. Carried over to the bare spot, and found two large gopher holes. Good I didn't land in the bare spot. So I broke down the glider in the bare spot, catching the attention of the occupants of a farmhouse down by the swollen Mahantango Creek. Farus, Tammy, and Gavin (the son) Erdman strolled over to where I had almost completed breaking the glider down and offered me a ride back to launch to retrieve my truck. I accepted, and stowed the glider in an adjacent cornfield, taking the rest of my stuff w/ me. Tammy's grandfather at one time owned the whole backside of Mahantango Mountain directly opposite from the SAC launch. A bit of the valley lore from the past. As the 4 of us checked out the launch, Gavin spotted Allan coming in to land in the main LZ after an hour or so flight. Karen had a sledder and Joe ended up not flying. Tomorrow looks pretty good at the SAC too. Just a few (3) MPH less on the surface forecast. My tank is pretty much full after today's excitement, so I may just crew and drive tomorrow if anybody shows up. Bacil

https://ayvri.com/scene/z15y60z0jx/ckt3 ... 6ijdtctheu
Last edited by XCanytime on Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Thanks for posting. Great flight…
What was the wind on launch?
Knut
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Moderately strong cycles when I got there at 2P. Not blown out. The moderately strong cycles continued sporadically for another hour+ until I got ready to launch. Then it lightened up considerably. Bacil
LikeToFly

Post by LikeToFly »

Bacil-congrats on the nice flight! Great report!

Aron
1otIII2007

Post by 1otIII2007 »

I had two good days at the Sac Thursday and Friday. Soared over an hour both days. Here is the ayvri track for Friday: https://ayvri.com/scene/0jgrreyeko/ckt5 ... 69tt2ys6pd

Allan B.