Tree rescue kit contents?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Scott

Post by Scott »

I really need to assemble a tree rescue kit for myself. I once had a list of items recommended by Pete Schuman (from his meeting presentation) but lost it. Maybe someone else can post that one? Alternatively, feel free to post what you have in your kit, and we can all compare notes.

I can start with one list I found online...
-----
The tree self-rescue kit weighs about 2 lbs. and contains the following:

120 feet (35m) of 5mm Perlon (climber's static rope).
Or you can use 9/16" tubular webbing, which is more compact.
One long climber's sling (12 to 15 feet of webbing, tied into a loop).
Two short climber's slings, tied or sewn (1-foot loops).
Two locking carabiners (round aluminum stock is best).
Small pliers or wrench (for loosening quick links).
Pocket knife (for unforeseen problems).
Or one multi-tool instead of pliers and knife.
One stuff bag (to carry the above).
Of course this is strictly for climbing. Other non-climbing items would obviously be a whistle, some kind of food, a space blanket, etc.

Scott
breezyk1d

mini tree kit

Post by breezyk1d »

Scott;

I carry a knife, whistle, flashlight, dental floss with a weight to send down a line, thermal aluminum blanket, a rain poncho, a compass, and my cell phone. No room for rope.

Interested to hear what others carry too - Linda
Spark

Post by Spark »

In my PG harness, I carry:

~140 feet of 5mm Perlon
Two long climber's slings
Two locking carabiners
Leatherman-style mult-purpose knife
A 'drop bag' - the purlon is 'piled' into the bag - not coiled.

Also,
A whistle
Headlamp
Radio
Cell phone
Thermal blanket
Compass
Butane lighter
Water purification tablets
Water bottle

When I fly PG over trees (all local sites), I wear a climbing harness with a climber's sling and locking carabiner. The sling is fanfolded and rubberbanded so I can easily pull the Carabiner out and secure the climbing harness to the tree

I figure I'm more likely to land in trees in a PG ;-)

In my Truck, I keep a black backpack with ~160' of 8mm purlon, a bunch of webbing, Carabiners, and a descender. This is part of the kit and I put it there assuming that I may need someone to help me with it, or I may use it to help someone else. What is missing (that I want to add) is a pair of tree climbing spikes and a tree climber's harness/belt.

In my hang gliding harness:

I don't have room for the purlon and I don't wear the climbing harness.
I have a climber's sling fanfolded/rubberbanded with a carabiner attached to a structural point inside my front storage puch so I can secure myself in the tree.

I also carry the spaceblanket, tools, etc in the HG harness.

Also in my front storage pouch, I have a 'drop bag' with ~120' of military parachute shroud line piled into it. The bag is a ziplock baggie with a lead weight taped to the bottom. The bag is covered in duct tape so it won't rip. The idea is to drop it down through a bunch of branches and leave with some confidence that it will make it to the ground so the 8mm purlon and descender can be attached and pulled up.

I'm not confident that dental floss will make it to the ground, or that dental floss will successfully be able to pull 80-100' of purlon up into the tree.

I suggest we have a tree rescue clinic so we can actually practice using our equipment.
'Spark
Scott

Post by Scott »

'Spark said...
I suggest we have a tree rescue clinic so we can actually practice using our equipment.
Yes! I agree, and would definitely be there to practice various techniques. We could do it on our own...or (possibly during the winter) we might be able to get a local outdoor/climbing shop with a climbing wall to sponsor a clinic. We get the benefit of the climbing wall and a place to buy carabiners and rope...and they get the sales!

In the meantime, anyone recommend a good source for 5-8mm perlon rope?

Scott
Spark

Post by Spark »

I meant ... use a tree .. to test our equipment. I have several 'typical' trees at my place, and a 40' ladder.

Where to buy purlon, climbers slings, carabiners ?
... REI, Galyans ... Ebay ...
Scott wrote:
Yes! I agree, and would definitely be there to practice various techniques. We could do it on our own...or (possibly during the winter) we might be able to get a local outdoor/climbing shop with a climbing wall to sponsor a clinic. We get the benefit of the climbing wall and a place to buy carabiners and rope...and they get the sales!

Scott
'Spark
Spark

Post by Spark »

I meant ... use a tree .. to test our equipment. I have several 'typical' trees at my place, and a 40' ladder.

Where to buy purlon, climbers slings, carabiners ?
... REI, Galyans ... Ebay ...
Scott wrote:

Scott
'Spark
Scott

Post by Scott »

Well, yes---a real tree would be good practice. :) I just suggested a climbing place 'cause people could practice rapelling with their gear (on belay) in a relatively safe setting (not that we couldn't do it safely in a tree too).

Scott
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

I get the feeling the real climbing people don't want anything to do
with us. We're too untrained and we're using too small rope for
their comfort. On Friday the fellow at Eastern Mountain Sports tried
to interest me in some nice, sturdy 11mm line. When I told him I was
interested in something smaller, he made it clear he had some
recommendations, but he could never tell me as long as he was working
at the store.
I'm guessing if we showed up at an indoor climbing facility with our
tree kit, we'd be treated as harshly as we'd treat a mountain climber
who showed up at Pulpit wanting to fly his eBay glider.

Dave

On Sep 25, 2005, at 2:38 PM, Scott wrote:

>
> Well, yes---a real tree would be good practice. :) I just suggested
> a climbing place 'cause people could practice rapelling with their
> gear (on belay) in a relatively safe setting (not that we couldn't
> do it safely in a tree too).
>
> Scott
>