Options for Sunday Apr 4th : Woodstock?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

markc

Options for Sunday Apr 4th : Woodstock?

Post by markc »

Looks like things are shaping up for (dare I say it out loud?) a weekend with good flight prospects on both days!

There's already a topic for Sat Apr 3rd.... So here's the one for Sunday April 4th. 8)

As of Friday noon things look pretty darn good for Woodstock on Sunday. G20 in the sfc forecast from 2pm to 5pm, but with a gradual build-up and then a nice tail-off well before sunset.

Who's in?
XCanytime

Re: Options for Sunday Apr 4th : Woodstock?

Post by XCanytime »

Looking to attempt a flight from the Pulpit to the SAC Sunday. "The Mission". The forecast is looking ideal: WNW going NW. Hourly surface fcst looks perfect for HGR and Harrisburg. Bacil
markc

Post by markc »

Sounds like a great plan/goal Bacil. I can't aim for anything ambitious on Sunday due to early work stuff on Monday, so WStock it will be.

Latest updates as of Fri evening still look good, hoping they will stay that way!
markc

Post by markc »

Not much forum chatter, but I've heard from several pilots who are planning on Woodstock tomorrow. Totally looking forward to it!
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

Some what interested in WS on Sunday. Will look in the morning. Could it be blown out??
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
markc

Post by markc »

Sure, could be.... But there's currently a 2 hour AM window of NW before G20 appears on the sfc forecast, and there's 1.5 hours at the end of the day without any gust factor at all. 3k forecast is strong, but not crazy-strong. Seems worth the gamble to me.
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

Been comparing xcSkies (GFS) forecast with Holfuy this morning and it has been matching up pretty good! The forecast is for the direction to become better and increase in velocity as the day goes on. By 1pm listing 17mph and then 22 by 3pm. I am going to pass on going there today and also doesn't seem to be much interest by others!
markc

Post by markc »

FYI, at least Gary, Ward, and Bacil are "in". Possibly Walt. Possibly Allan.
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

Sure would be nice if people would post their interest!
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Mark and Ward flew. The rest DNF. Me, Rich Heigle, Allan, and Gary Smith. I'll let Ward and Mark talk about their flights. Let's just say they went to the moon and back :shock: . Bacil
markc

Post by markc »

Whoa, another amazing spring day! I figured it might be one of those borderline Kinda-Fun/Kinda-Not flights, if we got into the air at all.... And it was definitely DNF territory for much of the late-AM/early-PM. I'd kind of written the day off, to be honest. Gusting 30 at one point, according to the Holfuy.

But... These lulls starting rolling in, way better than what we'd been seeing. I had paused my setup at the 1/2-way point: All bags packed, vario and GoPro and harness ready, glider tensioned but just a few battens stuffed. And then those lulls/launch-cycles REALLY started looking good. So I cut off conversation with wuffos and started hustling!

Ward liked what he saw so we got him into the slot and he had very good launch. I finished my setup, left my keys on the vehicle, watched conditions a bit, and then gave it a try. Many thanks to Gary and Bacil and Allan for their help on wirecrew, wouldn't have been possible without you, thanks guys!

I wasn't super-happy with my launch run... But after a debrief with Bacil, it apparently wasn't awful. I just don't like it when I'm off the ground without a hard-charging, multi-step run. Today was not that. Exited the slot, turbulent, elevator-up, b-slapped two or three times, and I knew immediately that it was going to be one of those days. :roll:

Some highlights: Flying with an immature bald eagle; watching sailplanes cruise below near the resevoir; reaching 7130 MSL not long after that; multiple climbs to 6k+; finding a street south of launch (near those big chicken coops/barns) which I used to punch past I-81 at 6200 MSL; thermalling in the valley...

Sounds great, eh? But the downside was that the winds and the thermals were STRONG! Run-away strong at times. Like, "No way am I going to land in this sh@t" strong. I stretched my flight out by an hour, hoping that conditions would start to mellow a bit. Just surfing along, trying to relax the hands and shoulders, VG off, sucking in the bar when the strong stuff blew through. Cruising a finger or two north and south of launch. Eventually things seemed to have backed off a bit, and I slowly crept out to the bridge field. Got lucky, there was a sinky period, and landed in conditions that were relatively good. But wow! That downwind leg? Screamin'!

Shortly after, winds started gusting in the LZ, enough to make the break-down a handful. And up top,things apparently continued to build. Gary left due to an engagement, and Allan and Rich threw in the towel. It's possible that conditions might have gotten a bit better just before sunset.... But that's based solely on the winds in the LZ, could easily have still been cranking up top.

Glad I flew: The fun-o-meter was in the black at least a few times, and I was happy with the landing. But a very challenging flight.
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Here’s some additional info to add to Mark’s flight report:

As anticipated from the sound of the wind in the trees at takeoff, I found the thermals to be ass-kicking rockets. The first one took me from approximately 200 ft below the ridge line to roughly 4,000 ft above it (6,000 ft MSL) in less than eight minutes (images 3 and 4). My highest climb during the 2 hrs 11 min flight started about 2 miles south of takeoff just north of the Opechee Peak. This monster took me to 7,629 ft MSL (my 3-year-old vario’s highest recorded altitude*) before I bailed on its weakening but respectable 250 fpm over the Fort Valley road (images six through eight). If I had stayed with it, I might not have made it back to the Massanutten ridge (image 9). My landing pattern (AKA: zigs and zags) over the LZ was intense with thermal triggered wind direction and air speed changes. It was an afternoon in the LZ when it was necessary to stay really close to the glider until it was packed up.

https://ayvri.com/scene/pmkem7gr5x/ckn3 ... 5rl7nj9b6u

Ward

* The Ayvri display has always skimmed/cut my vario’s altitude data by ~ 200 plus feet. I feel bullied!
Attachments
Launch Crew (L->R) Mark, Bacil and Gary. Thanks!
Launch Crew (L->R) Mark, Bacil and Gary. Thanks!
In the slot
In the slot
Just north of takeoff
Just north of takeoff
Approximately 8 min later at 6,000 ft MSL
Approximately 8 min later at 6,000 ft MSL
Heading south
Heading south
Last edited by Ward Odenwald on Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Last set of images.
Attachments
Above 7,500 ft MSL looking north
Above 7,500 ft MSL looking north
Climbing over Fort Valley Rd
Climbing over Fort Valley Rd
Returning to the Massanutten Ridge
Returning to the Massanutten Ridge
Over its ridge spine
Over its ridge spine
Turning on final