Suction Cup Hood HG mounts

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

silverwings

Suction Cup Hood HG mounts

Post by silverwings »

Any pilots that have used this type of mount, can you comment on how well it worked and whether is does any damage to the hood. I have seen a number of configurations over the years but have not personally tried it but may want to on my new car.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
Dunegoon

Re: Suction Cup Hood HG mounts

Post by Dunegoon »

My homemade ones have worked ok on three different cars. Made with PVC and various fitting. Suction cups from Harbor Freight. I have been able to modify it for different types of hoods. If the hood has compound curves or folds the suction cup will not work. Also depends on the geometry of the front roof rack. If the front rack is on or slightly forward of the CG of the glider, then minimal loads will be on the hood. As long as the surface of the hood is clean and the suction cups are clean, then no damage will occur to the paint. Not as good as welded frame mount for longer or multiple gliders. I would get a "Tex mount" if I could, but it is just not easily available for me.

Or just buy a ramora rack. Not sure if they are available anymore. Hope that helps.
http://remoraracks.com/index.php?page=5

CF
Bari

Post by Bari »

Hi John, I believe you've seen my glider rack. It is almost full length of my car. I did rough up my paint a little due to the suction cups and on the roof noticed slight deformation (on one of spots where I put the suction cup, I have 4 suction cups on the roof) too but I think that's due to me applying excessive force just to make sure the cup gets a good hold. Since then, I have started to pour a bit of water before putting the suction cups and that makes the whole process a lot simpler and faster.

I have thought about putting thin plastic film (car decal vinyl sheet). Tested it on sheet metal to check the hold but never got around putting it on the car.
lplehmann

Post by lplehmann »

John,
While I have not owned Remora racks, I have driven a few friends' cars equipped with them, most recently a 3,100 mile trip back from Mexico. My general view of them is that they are decent short-term expedients if one does not have a proper front rack. The vehicles I have experience with all had some sort of proper roof racks, and just needed to have front supports provided by the Remoras. To varying degrees, the front Remoras all eventually started floating or shifting due to curvatures of the hood and the fact that the plastic bases were too stiff to conform well to the curves. I cannot speak to the issue of marring the surface, though I think that the above comment about clean surfaces probably addresses your concern.
The bottom line is that while I would not myself rely on the Remora racks, they work well enough as long as one is rigorous about using back-up lines to guarantee that they won't catastrophically depart the car at speed. As little as we now actually do drive-to-fly, the racks will probably serve your needs as long as you have them tied down for safety.
Pete
Pete Lehmann
lplehmann

Post by lplehmann »

John,
While I have not owned Remora racks, I have driven a few friends' cars equipped with them, most recently a 3,100 mile trip back from Mexico. My general view of them is that they are decent short-term expedients if one does not have a proper front rack. The vehicles I have experience with all had some sort of proper roof racks, and just needed to have front supports provided by the Remoras. To varying degrees, the front Remoras all eventually started floating or shifting due to curvatures of the hood and the fact that the plastic bases were too stiff to conform well to the curves. I cannot speak to the issue of marring the surface, though I think that the above comment about clean surfaces probably addresses your concern.
The bottom line is that while I would not myself rely on the Remora racks, they work well enough as long as one is rigorous about using back-up lines to guarantee that they won't catastrophically depart the car at speed. As little as we now actually do drive-to-fly, the racks will probably serve your needs as long as you have them tied down for safety.
Pete
Pete Lehmann