Smithsburg Saturday Afternoon Jan. 30th

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Smithsburg Saturday Afternoon Jan. 30th

Post by XCanytime »

Looks good for another training hill day. Bacil
Bari

Re: Smithsburg Saturday Afternoon Jan. 30th

Post by Bari »

Aye aye skipper
Bari

Post by Bari »

Are we still on? It seems like, earlier the better by 1PM winds die down like last Sunday.
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

If others are out, I would be interested in giving it a go.

Danny Brotto
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Yep we are still on. I have to work in the AM, so I can't get there til 2P+. The hourly forecast for Hagerstown has it NW @ 8 MPH from 10A to 1P, and NW @ 7 MPH til 3P, when it goes NNW and decreases til sunset. There will be plenty of free airspeed at the top for most of the day. Last Sunday's forecast was lighter by 3+ MPH. Bacil
Bari

Post by Bari »

That's a nice wind speed run down. I think I'll try to be there noon then. I
markc

Post by markc »

Considering... Looks a bit cross-right/N, but that can sometimes be ok (hope for occasional cycles up the hill). If I give it a go, I'll aim for 10:30 or so arrival. Looking forward to tomorrow's forecast updates!
markc

Post by markc »

I think I'll wander up to Smithsburg today and have a look . 10:30 ETA.

If the direction is good, it could be a perfect practice day!
markc

Post by markc »

Conditions are ideal at the moment!
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

how did the day go? I am very jealous that I had another obligation.

Hope to see you all out soon.

Tom McGowan
pnadams

Post by pnadams »

Nice day five gliders, seven people flew, Mark got six flights. It was L&V most of the afternoon, but some good cycles. I think Anthony had a student make his first flight.
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

It was a lot of fun. Mark arrived first, me second and we were both able to sample the stronger west to NW conditions in the early afternoon. Bari set up and took a flight with the winds still puffing. Then the wind started doing a "dance" switching from NE to SW... and then it got lighter becoming true L&V and even blowing down at times. Good cycles were still to be had with patience though. Peter get the "Hero" award for lugging that 160 U2 around the hill. Nice seeing all of the gliders on the hill.

Danny Brotto
markc

Post by markc »

Six trips up the hill with the glider, plus the setup/takedown trips for the streamers. Damn, I was one tired pup when I rolled-in at home!

I met Bari, and Houman, and Mike : I believe they are all students of Anthony's, with varying levels of experience/background. Plus Danny, Peter, and myself. And Anthony instructing, and Bacil swung by just to help out. I was a bit surprised at the lack of PGers... I think that they could have had beaucoup flights! Conditions were a bit sketchier for the hangies, with winds literally all over the map. But patience was rewarded, and fairly decent cycles were occasionally blowing up the hill even close to sunset.

My first launch didn't have the best energy, but I was pretty happy with all the others. Good landings. A bit of a dropped wing on a couple of them, but overall it was a very productive day.

A few pics follow, than I'll add a few more in a bit....
Attachments
Danny's second launch : Pic1
Danny's second launch : Pic1
Danny's second launch : Pic2
Danny's second launch : Pic2
Bari's second launch : Pic1
Bari's second launch : Pic1
Bari's second launch : Pic2
Bari's second launch : Pic2
markc

Post by markc »

Peter's second launch : Pic1
Peter's second launch : Pic1
Peter's second launch : Pic2
Peter's second launch : Pic2
And here are some photos of Houman's launch.... Not sure totally sure, but I think that this might have been his first time high enough on the hill to get some real air under the wing? He did great!
Houman : Pic1
Houman : Pic1
Houman : Pic2
Houman : Pic2
Houman : Pic3
Houman : Pic3
markc

Post by markc »

Happy pilots breaking down at the end of the day.
Happy pilots breaking down at the end of the day.
markc

Post by markc »

Six trips up the hill
Oh : That was with my Falcon. Probably would have stroked-out if I'd tried that with the T2C :D
Bari

Post by Bari »

Thanks for all the pictures Mark, I think the best one has to be with all the gliders lined up and being broken down.

I did bring my PG but like last time didn't even take it out from the car. Since I been hang gliding the wing hasn't seen much day light :)

It was nice to meet everyone on the hill. This hill is becoming more and more of a friend. I could have done a couple more flights but adhered to Bacil's advice and called it a day.

Mark the way you overtook me while climbing up hill! And that must have been your 4th or 5th time. Very impressive.
jimsmess

Post by jimsmess »

Great pictures, I really enjoyed viewing them and vicariously flying in the warmth of my house. The 2nd picture of Danny is pretty cool , it appears as though he's instinctively going for his cocoon boot with his foot (years of muscle memory/reflexes) while maintaining a perfect angle of attack..Perhaps there's a lesson in situational awareness/spacial orientation in that photo for some newer pilots. Anyway, glad you all had a fun day and are getting some new pilots into our dwindling sport.
Jim Messina
Bari

Post by Bari »

This Saturday looks identical to last, any takers?
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

After the recent snowfall and the forecast rain on Friday, I suspect the ground will be a royal muddy mess on Saturday.

Danny Brotto
pnadams

Post by pnadams »

Feb 6 at Smithsbut has gusts up to 22 and pretty chilly. Taylor's is light W/SW and warmer temps.