Sacramento Sunday May 31st

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Sacramento Sunday May 31st

Post by XCanytime »

Looks like an excellent day shaping up at the SAC. Now that the world has forever changed, those who rarely/haven't flown there should take advantage of this opportunity. So far Harrisburg surface forecast is NNW @ 11 MPH. Couldn't get much better. Bacil
jimsmess

Re: Sacramento Sunday May 31st

Post by jimsmess »

The XC skies forecast is looking very good, many of us Pa pilots are intently focused and following the forecast. Hopefully we can all come out of isolation and socially distance at cloud base.
Jim Messina
callen

Post by callen »

Plan to fly my place Sunday. Let me know if you're interested so I can get waivers in place. Video of me flying there last year [youtube]https://youtube/ycU4ZDrqKA4[/youtube]

Charles
wuffos

Post by wuffos »

XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

I arrived at the the SAC around 9:50A to an awesome sky and soarable conditions. Set up quickly and by the time I was ready to go around 11A it had died down and gotten very cross from the west. Since I haven't flown the mountains since last November, I just wanted to get a good launch in and a good landing in. Not necessarily soar, but just get the fundamentals right. That was the mindset. There were light straight cycles and a lot of crossing from the west but I didn't really care. I took the first good straight cycle that turned cross as soon as I exited the slot. A few passes later I was on final for a good landing in zero wind in the LZ. Hiked the mountain to get the truck. As I was approaching the truck I heard the high speed approach of a sailplane putting the hammer down. Looked up and sure enough, a sailplane from the gliderport in New Jersey was heading west at a rapid pace. What a sky there was at 1:30P. This sky was what Bunner and Grzyb had in Illinois yesterday when they went 200 miles to southern Indiana. Bacil https://ayvri.com/scene/z15y60z0jx/ckav ... 69tl275jl5
Last edited by XCanytime on Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

Thanks for the write up Bacil. I would have thought it would be more north there but also thought it would be a little strong. Based on my forecast, which was wrong on both counts, I went to Blue Sky and aero towed. We had a great day there with moderate NW winds. Peter Kane, Matt Christensen, and I all got to cloudbase at 6500 msl. I flew for 2 1/2 hours as I dressed for the cold. The visibility was amazing as I could see the mountains and the Bay from altitude. Thanks to Steve and Lisa for the tow.

Tom McGowan