Thermal sense and the future of human evolution

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

mingram

Thermal sense and the future of human evolution

Post by mingram »

Maybe in the future we'll have more senses to detect thermals.

Sometimes you can smell a thermal, like the sweet orange blossoms in California. I've also heard people describe the smell of marijuana flowering. I've definitely smelled plenty of cow and chicken shit thermals.

Can you also detect sound changes when in a thermal? Maybe the sound of a train below gets amplified?

Since humid air is less dense and more bouyant, I thought humidity could help find thermals. I built a little IoT humidity & pressure sensor that I flew in some thermals with, but I'm not sure if the sensor was sensitive enough to produce anything useful. Perhaps my sample rate was too low.

Here are some other interesting sensors that people are working on that I found from the Buzzfeed article below:

"Manel Muñoz has biometric ears that enable him to feel changes in atmospheric pressure. Similar to migratory birds, he can feel the arrival of everything from rain to cyclones."

"North Sense by Liviu Babitz and Scott Cohen is a small matchbox-sized artificial sense organ that delivers a short vibration every time the user faces North, similar to the biological abilities of migratory birds, extending the human perception of orientation."

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ga ... -evolution
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu