team challenge

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

heaviek

team challenge

Post by heaviek »

Is anyone planning on going down this year? I am heading up there from
florida and I am also trying to talk Lauren into coming.

It's a great meet, fun meet, and excellent learning opportunity. This is
also the meet where I personally discovered XC and competition both.

Kev C
Scott

Post by Scott »

Hi Kevin...

Yes! We've already assembled a joint CHGPA/Blue Sky team: Bruce Engen and Hank Hengst (our experienced guys), and Bill Priday, Daniel Shapiro, and myself (the XC newbies). We're all psyched for the experience, and us newbies have been preparing our GPS's, radios, etc. and flying all we can.

Dan Tomlinson, are you still planning to go down? Any other CHGPA folks feel like jumping on board?

Scott
John Dullahan

Team Challenge

Post by John Dullahan »

Kevin, and Scott,
Dan Tomlinson and I hope to go to the Team Challenge, but only for a few days. I plan on picking up Dean Funk's old Litespeed 4.5 S, which he sold to David Giles. David then switched to a rigid wing, but will bring the Litespeed to the Team Challenge for me. Prior weekend committments means Dan and I can't leave the DC area until Monday, 3 Oct, to be there for the 4th, 5th, and possibly the 6th. The meet director, Dean Funk, said we can't compete, but can be free fliers (or wind dummies) on his say-so. We will also help out where we can but would like to do some flying.

Neither Dan or I have been there before. I checked the Treetoppers and Team Challenge web sites but found no accommodation recommenations. Any suggestions would be welcome. Also, is Dunlop the nearest town to the competition location, and if not, which one is?

Scott, thanks again for the ride at the Pulpit fly-in last Sunday.

John D.
John Dullahan
Scott

Post by Scott »

Hi John...

Glad you guys are coming! As for where to stay, there definitely isn't much anywhere close to launch at Henson's Gap ("close" meaning within 10-15 minutes). Most of us are planning to camp at launch (which may resemble a tent city). They have plenty of room (at least 2-3 times the size of the Pulpit setup/camping area), a nice house, bathroom facilities, etc. (but again, could be crowded).

Dunlap is close, but a pretty tiny place, and I don't remember there being any hotels there (maybe a B&B?).

Chattanooga isn't far away (30-40 minutes), and of course there are all sorts of possibilities there. Somewhere off Rt.27 on the north side of the city would put you an easy drive to Henson's Gap.

Look forward to seeing you guys there!

PS - At this point I'm driving down alone, leaving early Friday morning, Sept.30 (possibly leaving Thursday). If anyone wants to come down last-minute, I'll gladly take a passenger and glider---just drop me a message!
theflyingdude

Post by theflyingdude »

[Dunlap is close, but a pretty tiny place, and I don't remember there being any hotels there (maybe a B&B?).

Unless, it's gone out of business, The Dunlap Inn is located on the north end of Dunlap and offers discounts to pilots. It's not very large, so it's possible they may be booked up for that week.

JR
John Dullahan

Team Challenge

Post by John Dullahan »

Scott and JR,
Thanks for the info. I just made reservations for Dan and me at the Mountain View Hotel, 840 Rankin Ave N. in Dunlap. The clerk said it was a fairly new establishment.

John
John Dullahan