Sun25Aug : Bill's Hill?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

markc

Sun25Aug : Bill's Hill?

Post by markc »

Looking like Bill's Hill might be a decent bet on Sunday, at least as of Thursday evening... Light for the HG flyers.... But a 70-degree day? Hard to resist that! Anyone else considering? Also been eyeing Jack's and Ediths over the past couple days....
mcgowantk

Re: Sun25Aug : Bill's Hill?

Post by mcgowantk »

I am looking at it but was also looking at Jacks.

Tom McGowan
callen

Post by callen »

If weather holds the crew in the HC2019 (Jim M., John S., Ric N., Chris B, me) will be heading to jacks sunday with goal of flying back to my place in liverpool. If you're interested you're more than welcome to come out Saturday night and camp at my place. Let me know.

Charles
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

mcgowantk wrote:I am looking at it but was also looking at Jacks.

Tom McGowan
Looks like a good day to connect Jacks to Bill's. Bacil
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Detail Directions to Jack's launch?
Might join you guys and should know by early Sunday morning.
Knut
markc

Post by markc »

Hope that the HC2019 crew's plan at Jack's works out.... But I'm leaning toward Bill's Hill at this point, seems like a pretty East day. Sfc forecasts have been bumped up by a couple mph, thinking it might be worth a try! Will bring a tree saw for that last clump on the right side of the slot.
sailin

Post by sailin »

Hey Mark,

I might be able to make it out to Bills tomorrow as well - will know in the early morning . Do you know what the LZ status / situation is there right now ?

Thanks,
Jon
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

I spoke/texted with Rodney Fix and he says it is fine for us to land on his property which also goes from the pink to the road. I do not know the condition of the field but I expect if it was high grass, etc. he would have said. We last flew there 6/8 and he had cleared the field. Also, we worked some on the slot but it would be good to bring slot clearing tools.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
sailin

Post by sailin »

Thank you John !

Thanks ,
Jon
Dave Proctor

Post by Dave Proctor »

I am looking to go to Bill’s or Jack’s. Not sure which. If I go to bills I will bring implements of destruction.
Dave P
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Hope you all get to fly and it turns out good. To much uncertainty for me and 3 hours plus drive, not appealing to me.
Staying home.
Knut
sailin

Post by sailin »

Unfortunately looking like I will miss out too. Good flights to all that go !

Thanks,
Jon
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

If my info is correct, many pilots will be at Jack's today and it should be great.
Just to late for me to get ready for the drive.
Have fun!
Knut
markc

Post by markc »

Braindead soarable at Bill's today!

PG'ers Tom C, Austin, and.... Cyrus??? Sorry, blanking. They were off fairly early, as conditions were building, maybe noon.They headed OTB immediately, with hopes for a 100-mile day. Later PG pilots had to choose cycles carefully, winds were much stronger on launch than forecast. John M, Christa, George, Rob, Matt Ingram all had flown (or were planning to) when I headed out, plus a couple others.

I put four hours into clearing trees on the right side of the slot, and it's now looking fairly ok (from the HG standpoint). Could be better.... The lower left corner is now the ugly spot. Had kinda expected that it would be a work-til-ya-drop day, then hit the road, so that's what I did. But given the conditions on launch, sure would have been good to have had more people there. We could have gotten a lot more done, and then soared without any question, how often does that happen?

Will post a few pics tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing how things worked out later in the day!
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Mark,
Thanks for all the work you did.
Sorry it did not work out for Bill's hill.
If I am correct, that was the same with Jack's today.
7 HG pilots and one flew a sleed.
Correct me if I am wrong. Info from what's up XC HG group.
Knut
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

Would have been easy soarable for HG but Mark was the only one who came and then wore himself out with site work. All PG pilots soared and quite a few for multiple flights. It was a bit windy at launch some of the time but there were also lighter periods. Some of the clouds were intimidating. I flew PG as long as I wanted which was just over an hour.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
markc

Post by markc »

Yup, it was totally happening at Bill's on Sunday, for both PG and HG. The former: wait for a lull. The latter: take anything ya like! Conditions were great. Any report of how Tom C et al did?
Dave Proctor

Post by Dave Proctor »

We got skunked at Jack's on Sunday. Looked promising on the way up but the further north we got, the more overcast the sky. Was still looking good when we arrived, launchable but not looking soarable. The hopefuls were myself, Kelvin, Charlie, John Simon, Jim Messina, Rick Caylor, and Eric Kriner. So we waited. It then got weaker. It eventually picked back up to a launchable level. Rick got on launch, and it promptly died back down, and Rick retreated. After about 20 minutes it picked back up and Rick launched..and sledded. It then OD'd...not everywhere...just a 2 or 3 mile swath...going right over launch. It never picked back up and about 4:00 Kelvin and I broke down and headed home.
Dave P