P2 Couple looking for refresher

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

sculpepper

P2 Couple looking for refresher

Post by sculpepper »

Hey all, it's been awhile since I looked for help flying in the area. My wife and I are looking to start flying PG again and while we have been able to do some kiting we haven't been able to practice foot launching. I see that Taylor Hill is an option to practice and I see that I would need to join the club and sign a waiver. I've talked with Steve over at Bluesky but it looks like he won't be able to accommodate us for some tow refresher since our availability is unfortunately only weekends. Are there any other options near the DC area? How friendly is the local area to PG pilots?
mingram

Re: P2 Couple looking for refresher

Post by mingram »

Some paraglider have talked about going to Taylor Hill this weekend. You can leave the waiver in the mailbox in the parking area at Taylor Hill.

Taylor Hill is managed by the CHGPA and we provide USHPA insurance for the site so you need to become a member.
http://chgpa.org/membership-join/member ... istration/

Paragliders have been flying a lot this summer - every weekend. Most of our launches are suitable for a P2. Some are easier than others. Having solid reverse launch skills and good landing skills are necessary as some landings are tighter/down-sloping/have obstacles. A solid P2 can manage our sites. Since it's been a while you may want to seek some refresher instruction to get your muscle memory back. Though if you feel good after some training hill days then we can connect you with someone to introduce you to the mountain sites and make sure the site and conditions are suitable for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions. The flying has been epic lately. Come join us!
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
sculpepper

Re: P2 Couple looking for refresher

Post by sculpepper »

Thank you for the response! We are talking with the Shenandoah Paragliding crew and looking to have some training hill days. We're looking forward to meeting some PG pilots in the area!