Accident Report 1/1/19

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Accident Report 1/1/19

Post by XCanytime »

I just viewed the video of my blown launch at Woodstock. I was holding off on the writeup of the accident until viewing the video. Unfortunately the video did not capture the start of the launch sequence and the few steps that I took before getting airborne. According to the 2 wire crew, I tripped or stumbled during the launch run, which may have popped the nose.

The video starts with the right wingtip dragging across rocks, then the ensuing flight path to the right, the right wingtip catching the ground, and the glider cartwheeling into the rocky terrain. This sequence took only 2+ seconds.

I remember a rock striking a glancing blow to my forehead above my right eye. According to the first pilots reaching me, I was unconscious for 5 - 10 seconds. When I came to, I realized I was bleeding and the pilots scrambled to retrieve a first aid kit to help stanch the bleeding. 911 was promptly dialed and instructions were given over the phone. The pilots carried my glider back to the setup area and broke it down and packed it up. Initial damage observed was a broken DT and some sail scuff.

The EMTs arrived and I walked with their assistance to the ambulance while Gary Smith followed in my truck. It was a bumpy ride down the mountain! Into the ER and the first order of business was a CT scan of my head and neck. It was negative, although the ER doc cracked that they found some rocks in my head :lol: . 11 stitches later to seal up the L-shaped gash, I was discharged around 5P and drove the 2.5 hours home with only one lens in my glasses.

I am deeply indebted to Gary Smith, Eric Kriner, Rob Skinner, Randy Weber, and Joe from Pittsburgh for their assistance and care in the aftermath. Their quick thinking and actions gave me comfort in what was an upsetting situation to say the least.

What can we learn from this accident? I shouldn't have been flying that day. I did not get enough sleep the night before, and my head was foggy and I just wasn't into it like I normally am. My gut was telling me not to fly, but I didn't listen. Listen to your inner voice. It is usually right.

According to both Gary and Eric, it appeared that I stumbled or tripped. I have always staged the glider at the large rock on the right. I most likely stepped in an erosion gulley/ditch that are present at the lip of the fill. Staging the glider at the large rock puts the pilot closer to the erosion ditches. From now on I recommend all pilots stage further back, ensuring plenty of steps available in the launch run to get airborne before the possibility of tripping/stumbling in an erosion ditch.

Looking at the video, I may have been able to save the launch had I been immediately on top of it when the glider veered right. Or maybe not. We will never know. But what I do know is that lack of sleep on a 60 year old brain really slows down the reflexes and reaction time. What I may have been able to save 20 years ago I can't save today. So it behooves the aged pilot to get plenty of rest in order to be able to perform at the peak of their abilities.

I am taking the glider to Steve Wendt at Blue Sky tomorrow morning for repair of the DT and a full inspection. Once I get the glider back in working condition, I am returning to the training hill at Smithsburg for some serious launching practice. I want to get that feel back again. I plan to take multiple trips to Smithsburg before returning to the mountains. And the first mountain site planned will be the Pulpit. It will be a while before I return to Woodstock.

Bacil
markc

Re: Accident Report 1/1/19

Post by markc »

Well cr@p, very sorry to hear about this Bacil. I'd hazard a guess that we've all been at launch in less than top-notch shape more than a time or two. Maybe choosing to fly, maybe not.... Add in the erosion issue, and some bad luck, and suddenly a decision to fly becomes bad news. I applaud your decision to hit the training hill, but I also hope you aren't beating yourself over the head 24/7.

I noticed the erosion issue last Saturday, thinking to myself "Hmmm, sure would suck to stumble into that, I want a decent amount of wind before starting this launch run". Course, it was light... I was on launch 15 minutes before finally saying "ah, eff it, just take the next cycle". And maybe it was just luck that got me out unscathed?

Told myself 10 different times to put a shovel in the vehicle today.... Didn't happen, grrrrr. Gary S on the other hand? He brought one, and worked to fill in the gullies. He da man!

Hope you heal soon and are back in the air quickly Bacil!
John Dullahan

Post by John Dullahan »

Bacil,

Thanks for the detailed and insightful accident report. Reminds me of my entry into the trees just left of launch a few years ago. I had started my launch with the right wing lifted and went between two trees at low speed about eight feet above the ground. Luckily I was uninjured and the glider sustained just a broken tip wand.

You offer sound advice about not flying if you don't feel "right" about it, and until it's filled in, pilots should stay well clear of the erosion gully when launching. Sorry about the Raven's loss yesterday :(
John Dullahan
Dave Proctor

Post by Dave Proctor »

Bacil,

Sorry to hear about your accident. I’m glad you weren’t seriously hurt. I’ll echo Mark’s comment to not beat yourself up too much. We all make mistakes. We usually get away with it....but every once in awhile we get caught. Heal fast.

Dave
Dave P
carweill

Post by carweill »

Bacil
I'm probably among many that want to hear that you are back flying Woodstock.
No only you fly but you encourage others to go as well.

Besides, knowing you, you will take all the right steps to get back.

Thanks for sharing

Carlos
lbunner

Post by lbunner »

i just read the report. Thanks for sharing. I too have gone back to the training hill. I think John M wondered what I was doing there until he saw my first couple of launches anyway. Great exercise and excellent tips from JM.
Bun