Anyone Been Up To Kirshners This Winter?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Eric

Anyone Been Up To Kirshners This Winter?

Post by Eric »

Just curious if anyone knows the current condition of Kirshner's Knob. I'm curious if it's clear like it was this time last year. I know the "LZ" for the N hill gets pretty muddy after a rain.
New H2, AT, FL
Nick

Re: Anyone Been Up To Kirshners This Winter?

Post by Nick »

I live three miles from the hill. The hill itself is in winter wheat. Part of the LZ hasn't been touched since last winter due to wet weather. I'm not sure if I'll be past there tomorrow. If I am, I'll post a pic
Eric

Post by Eric »

Thanks Nick!
New H2, AT, FL
Nick

Post by Nick »

Eric, I'm sorry I didn't get to the hill to get a pic of the LZ for you. I didn't leave the house. Now I work straight through Sat, so I won't be able to get a pic. I leave before daylight and get home after dark. I can tell you that the wettest part of the LZ is overgrown as I said. I actually walked the LZ about 6 weeks ago, but I don't recall how large that overgrown patch is (I'm sorry!). I can tell you with reasonable certainty that the LZ will be soppy wet for the near future. We got long, consistent rain on New Years Eve, and that field lays wet forever after a good rain.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Thanks Nick. I appreciate your insight into the condition. The winds haven't been cooperating with my schedule lately, and I was hoping Kirshners might be an option. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to Smithsburg or Taylors a few times before spring, but so far it hasn't worked out for me.
New H2, AT, FL