Where were ya????

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Matthew

Where were ya????

Post by Matthew »

Fantastic Pulpit Fly-In. Great forecast for both days. So where were Pete and Larry and the Pittsburgh Pilots? Where was JR and Homer and the Cumberland Crowd? Where was Shawn and the Hyner Hangies? Where were the Windriders? Bill Priday and Joe Schad made it. What of Rance and Tim and the other Manquin Men? And none of the Ridgley Regulars came either. For that matter, where was Tom M. and Peter S. and Proctor and Steve K. and Danny B. and Joe Gregor?

Just curious....

Matthew
mcelrah

Where were ya????

Post by mcelrah »

I had a family obligation Saturday: Jasper's 12th birthday. We went paintballing. My older son is really into it, has his own gun. They make him chronograph and detune it to no more than 290 feet per second, but even the rental guns will cause a welt/bruise at medium range. It is most gratifying the way the kids scream when you hit them... (That is a sinful emotion; I must do penance...)

Sunday was a reunion on the boat I sailed to Bermuda in June. Vladimir, the captain, is setting off for the Caribbean, Panama Canal, South Pacific and points west in November 2007. I plan to accompany him for some portion of the cruise. Vladimir is looking for capable people to crew on various legs of the trip. In the South Pacific, the shortest practical voyages might take about two months. My take is that heavy sailing experience is not a core requirement - general competence such as a hang-glider pilot should have, is. Let me know off-line if you would like to be a prospective crewman. - Hugh

P.S. Saw your picture and article in the paper yesterday, Matthew...

>From: Matthew <adventuretales@yahoo.com>
>Date: Mon Sep 19 13:32:48 CDT 2005
>To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
>Subject: Where were ya????

>
>Fantastic Pulpit Fly-In. Great forecast for both days. So where were Pete and Larry and the Pittsburgh Pilots? Where was JR and Homer and the Cumberland Crowd? Where was Shawn and the Hyner Hangies? Where were the Windriders? Bill Priday and Joe Schad made it. What of Rance and Tim and the other Manquin Men? And none of the Ridgley Regulars came either. For that matter, where was Tom M. and Peter S. and Proctor and Steve K. and Danny B. and Joe Gregor?
>
>Just curious....
>
>Matthew
theflyingdude

Post by theflyingdude »

I had planned on attending the fly-in, but we (Marvin and I) ended up flying here (Cumberland) on Saturday for a photo-op after the editor/photographer of "Mountain Discoveries" (a tourism magazine for Allegany and Garrett Counties and surrounding areas) contacted Marvin about doing a feature article on hang gliding. We flew with sailplanes and a golden eagle while zooming around launch trying to stay low enough for him to get some quality photographs.

I have no excuse for not showing up on Sunday other than an aversion to traveling on Sundays when I have no one to sit with the dogs and two good NW sites in my backyard. Homer, Adam, Marvin, and Pete showed up here and everyone soared with Pete and I (Falcon and Sport2) lawn-darting OTB for five miles after getting 6K. We landed at the old Millstone Tavern on Rt. 51.

JR
Danny Brotto

If you must know...

Post by Danny Brotto »

I had another commitment that spanned 3 days; Friday through Sunday. I volunteer at an annual event whose proceeds go to purchase rain forest in Costa Rica for land conservation. I've participated for the past 5 years and committed to help well prior to the Fly-in dates being announced.

Sounds like the weather co-operated and all had fine flights; wish I could have been there.

Danny Brotto
John Simon

Where were ya????

Post by John Simon »

From a Ridgely regular (I guess)

Wish I could have been in two places at once but....Heather and I had a
previous ENGAGEMENT on the Cape (Cape Cod) which, more than made me forget
about flying for a while. Coming back to read about the great weather and
flights awakened me again but we had such a great time it didn't even hurt
all that much having missed the rockin' flights. We had great weather
ourselves, and took some time to visit a couple of famous Cape dune soaring
sites (no flying for us though). Really, really big dunes up there. Now
we're ready to get back into some airtime and hope to fly this weekend. See
you soon.

John Simon

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 2:33 PM
To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
Subject: Where were ya????

Fantastic Pulpit Fly-In. Great forecast for both days. So where were Pete
and Larry and the Pittsburgh Pilots? Where was JR and Homer and the
Cumberland Crowd? Where was Shawn and the Hyner Hangies? Where were the
Windriders? Bill Priday and Joe Schad made it. What of Rance and Tim and
the other Manquin Men? And none of the Ridgley Regulars came either. For
that matter, where was Tom M. and Peter S. and Proctor and Steve K. and
Danny B. and Joe Gregor?

Just curious....

Matthew
mcelrah

Where were ya????

Post by mcelrah »

Are we supposed to read something into the capitalization of
"engagement"? - Hugh

On 21 Sep 2005, at 11:51, John Simon wrote:

>
> From a Ridgely regular (I guess)
>
> Wish I could have been in two places at once but....Heather and I
> had a
> previous ENGAGEMENT on the Cape (Cape Cod) which, more than made me
> forget
> about flying for a while. Coming back to read about the great
> weather and
> flights awakened me again but we had such a great time it didn't
> even hurt
> all that much having missed the rockin' flights. We had great weather
> ourselves, and took some time to visit a couple of famous Cape dune
> soaring
> sites (no flying for us though). Really, really big dunes up
> there. Now
> we're ready to get back into some airtime and hope to fly this
> weekend. See
> you soon.
>
> John Simon
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Matthew [mailto:adventuretales@yahoo.com]
> Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 2:33 PM
> To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
> Subject: Where were ya????
>
>
>
> Fantastic Pulpit Fly-In. Great forecast for both days. So where
> were Pete
> and Larry and the Pittsburgh Pilots? Where was JR and Homer and the
> Cumberland Crowd? Where was Shawn and the Hyner Hangies? Where
> were the
> Windriders? Bill Priday and Joe Schad made it. What of Rance and
> Tim and
> the other Manquin Men? And none of the Ridgley Regulars came
> either. For
> that matter, where was Tom M. and Peter S. and Proctor and Steve K.
> and
> Danny B. and Joe Gregor?
>
> Just curious....
>
> Matthew
>
>
>
>
rancerupp

Post by rancerupp »

The Rance half of the Tim & Rance team went to Blue Sky. It's so easy to leave here at 11a fly and get home by 6p. Even when you have to stuff 34 battens :lol: . I must be getting lazy. That was only my 2nd time out in almost 3 months. I would have had fun flying with you all. I can still remember 2yrs ago at the Pulpit with all the gliders (& a PG too I think) in the air at the same time flying together. I had a nice flight down south though, 1:29 @ 4850, circled in a thermal w/a hawk 100' below me. (He never did catch me.) It was nice to top it off with a good landing since mine have not been perfect lately. Landed with my left wingtip on the cone. Maybe next time guys.

Rance