Woodstock/SAC March 3rd/March 4th

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Woodstock/SAC March 3rd/March 4th

Post by XCanytime »

Looking good for once. To the N/NW snow/rain showers are forecast. Seen this pattern before. Made the mistake of going to the SAC and dodging snow showers back around April 2002 when Adam Arkfeld got to CB at 7K` MSL and flew to Lake Anna from Woodstock. Not gonna make that mistake again. However if no precip occurs may end up at the SAC since an XC flight to Carlisle Airport is still on the docket, and A NNW wind direction is perfect for attempting the run. If too strong, Woodstock it is, provided it's not too strong there too. Sunday looks like dead nuts SAC. Bacil
XCanytime

Re: Woodstock/SAC March 3rd/March 4th

Post by XCanytime »

Targeting the SAC Sunday. Got a driver lined up. Looks great. Bacil
smurfsky101

Post by smurfsky101 »

XCanytime wrote:Looking good for once. To the N/NW snow/rain showers are forecast. Seen this pattern before. Made the mistake of going to the SAC and dodging snow showers back around April 2002 when Adam Arkfeld got to CB at 7K` MSL and flew to Lake Anna from Woodstock. Not gonna make that mistake again. However if no precip occurs may end up at the SAC since an XC flight to Carlisle Airport is still on the docket, and A NNW wind direction is perfect for attempting the run. If too strong, Woodstock it is, provided it's not too strong there too. Sunday looks like dead nuts SAC. Bacil

is there a track log of that flight? I would love to see it, sick!
H4, P4, M1
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

I would too. Would really like to see Tom McGowan's tracklog from his epic flight from Woodstock to Blue Sky on April 29th, 2007.
markc

Post by markc »

Hmmm..... WStock is starting to look a little interesting on Sunday. Had kinda written it off because of earlier due N forecasts, but.... G20s, NNW, sun all day? Maybe it could work, will start checking in more detail tonight/ tomorrow.
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Plan to drive for Charley late at the SAC tomorrow since the driver failed to tell me until today that he has to be somewhere at 7P tomorrow :evil: . Woodstock looks best after 3P. Bacil
markc

Post by markc »

I'm going to get a few things done this AM, and will then check on sfc observations to see how northerly things are.

Obs at Winchester since 5am are pretty encouraging.
markc

Post by markc »

Walt and Ward are both dealing with storm damage. John M isn't thrilled by the temps and the N-cross. Haven't heard from anyone else, so that alone probably quashes the day.

There *is* a little pocket in northern VA and the WVA panhandle that seems to be bucking the overall-N trend. But that's definitely a gamble... And given that the gust factor has been extended until sunset.... Well, super gorgeous day, but seems like a long-shot.

(Always willing to be convinced otherwise by some motivated posts, however :-) )

Good luck up at the Sac' guys, definitely the right call for today's direction!
lplehmann

Post by lplehmann »

Bacil,
Attached is the igc file of Tom McGowan's outstanding flight from Woodstock to Manquin.
Pete
I believe this is the Doarama track file:

http://doarama.com/view/1930971
Attachments
Tom McG Woodstock to Manquin.igc
(51.97 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Pete Lehmann
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Thanks Pete. Today at the SAC it was strong and cold. Without a driver my motivation for flying was low. And the temps at launch were barely tickling 40 when I arrived there just after 1P without my wing. Spent a couple of hours visiting with Joe and Karen before driving along the proposed XC route to Carlisle Airport. Tomorrow looks great at the SAC :evil: . Bacil
markc

Post by markc »

The pickings this winter for the weekend-only flyers have sure been slim, sigh.
smurfsky101

Post by smurfsky101 »

holy crap!
lplehmann wrote:Bacil,
Attached is the igc file of Tom McGowan's outstanding flight from Woodstock to Manquin.
Pete
I believe this is the Doarama track file:

http://doarama.com/view/1930971
H4, P4, M1
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

Hi Pete

Thanks for posting my flight. I got to re-live it a couple of times as I made my family watch it too. It was a great day. I keep thinking I will get a chance to fly to Blue Sky a second time but it hasn't happened yet. But I do keep watching the weather!

Tom McGowan
Roger

Post by Roger »

I had heard about it, but WOW! What a flight! And you got there at about 7k'! INCREDIBLE!!!
Roger
25two-67three--eight eight95 c