High Rock???

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

mchevalier

High Rock???

Post by mchevalier »

I don't live in Maryland anymore but sometimes lurk. I was wondering what has happened to High Rock as I ran across this article that describes High Rock as abandoned.
http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/aban ... launch-pad

I'm still flying often but am the only one left in Salida that flies regularly. In June I hit a dust devil on final and got cartwheeled. Broken keel and downtubes, I got a concussion and meet wagon ride. Went to Wyoming for the total eclipse. MC
mingram

Re: High Rock???

Post by mingram »

Damn! Sorry about your accident! Glad no broken bones.

Is there any paragliding in Salida, CO?

I found this same article a few years ago. I emailed the website to update the article, but I guess it didn't happen. Looks like I can sign up for an account and edit the article myself. I'll try to do that.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
mchevalier

Post by mchevalier »

mingram wrote:Damn! Sorry about your accident! Glad no broken bones.

Is there any paragliding in Salida, CO?

I found this same article a few years ago. I emailed the website to update the article, but I guess it didn't happen. Looks like I can sign up for an account and edit the article myself. I'll try to do that.
There is an old mine 3 miles from town that PGs hike up and fly. It's about 700ft agl and faces SW. Villa Grove (SW) is a half hour away. Whale Mountain (SE) is across the valley and Ute Pass (S) an hour away.

No broken bones but vision and memory issues.
mingram

Post by mingram »

Wow. That's a hell of a concussion. Sounds like your vision was good enough to see the eclipse though. I saw the totality in Clemson, SC. Just amazing to see a "black hole sun".

I don't know much about concussions other than what I hear about the NFL. Are you expected to make a full recovery?
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Mike I'm glad to hear you are on the mend. I just read the article. What a bunch of crap. Controlled falling? Same goes for airplanes with engine out.
And hang gliding banned there by local authorities because the launch was deemed too dangerous??? What a bunch of crap part 2. Bacil
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

Mike sorry to hear about your encounter with a dust devil and hope you are mending good. Most of the local hang gliding pilots have chosen to not fly High Rock after Karen's death and as far as I know it is not a closed site.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
mchevalier

Post by mchevalier »

mingram wrote:Wow. That's a hell of a concussion. Sounds like your vision was good enough to see the eclipse though. I saw the totality in Clemson, SC. Just amazing to see a "black hole sun".

I don't know much about concussions other than what I hear about the NFL. Are you expected to make a full recovery?
I was back flying after 2 weeks on my old U2. It took 5 weeks to get a new keel. My vision is fine but sometimes the right eye is lazy. I don't know if anybody makes a full recovery after a concussion.
silverwings wrote:Mike sorry to hear about your encounter with a dust devil and hope you are mending good. Most of the local hang gliding pilots have chosen to not fly High Rock after Karen's death and as far as I know it is not a closed site.
I was never a big fan of High Rock. Flew there a bunch but always preferred the other NW sites. I had an Oh Sh1t moment once on launch when someone let go before I said clear.

What about Emma Jane, is she still around?
Dave Proctor

Post by Dave Proctor »

Mike--Sorry to hear about your crash. Glad you are recovering. When you coming back east?

Dave
Dave P
Dave Proctor

Post by Dave Proctor »

Yes, Emma Jane is still around. Harry died many years ago, then Randy died, and recently her daughter Carolyn died. Been tough on her. I need to stop by. Heading out that way today on errands, if I have time I will visit.
Dave
Dave P
mchevalier

Post by mchevalier »

Dave Proctor wrote:Mike--Sorry to hear about your crash. Glad you are recovering. When you coming back east?

Dave
Not anytime soon. Whenever I've been back there it made me remember why I left. Heat, humidity, bugs, traffic, too many people etc. And Highland is gone! I could never live in the east again.