Oregon Ridge closed for flying

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

silverwings

Oregon Ridge closed for flying

Post by silverwings »

I went there today to do some pg flights and as I arrived I saw a PG coming in to land. I thought great because I would have company. I approached the pilot (I think a rouge instructor named Randy) and student and they said they had just been told that you can't fly there anymore! I went to the office and spoke with Susan Cormack (manager) who told me that there was no longer site insurance (for a couple of years) and even if we did have site insurance for it, we could only fly from October - April. I believe MHGA had been the club getting the site insurance in the past but apparently did not continue. I have not taught there for several years because of the hassle trying to work with Susan to allow us to fly. We had been flying there since the mid 70's and it is a shame that with the recent Oregon Ridge Administration they have shut us down even for experienced USHPA pilots. Beside being such a nice maintained site, the spectators always enjoyed us being there.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
mingram

Re: Oregon Ridge closed for flying

Post by mingram »

Bummer! CHGPA paid for insurance for Oregon Ridge in 2016, so I assumed it was renewed with the move to RRG. I will check.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
carweill

Post by carweill »

Don't know if this helps.
Before RRG some sites will only ask for copies if the insurance certificates and some others would require specific entities named in the certificate.
With RRG I don't know how certificates created, but it might just be a matter of sending a copy to Oregon Ridge.

Carlos
wuffos

Post by wuffos »

Oregon Ridge is listed as one of the two insured sites in Maryland on the USHPA website.

Bill U., Phila., PA